EIS 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All! I found last year's thread a few weeks ago and am now interested in joining/following this one as well! I am a social scientist (medical anthropology) and I received my invitation to interview on Friday. Not sure if sending out interview invitations is based on area of interest, or just last names (mine starts with an "A"). I submitted my interview request form on Monday, but have not received confirmation. I e-mailed them again today, in addition to calling, but only got an answering machine. No word on receipt yet.

Good luck to all who have not yet heard back!

Members don't see this ad.

Just found the thread after getting freaked out about the posted time line ("invitations sent out in August and September"). First application.

Education: a MPH, Epi MSc, and PhD in Epi. Couple of years experience working for a state health department in between. Background is in mathematical modeling of infectious disease dynamics using surveillance data.

Nervous but will hopefully hear something soon. Happy to hear 'first' round of invitations was only last week. Lets me sleep (better).

Hi All! I found last year's thread a few weeks ago and am now interested in joining/following this one as well! I am a social scientist (medical anthropology) and I received my invitation to interview on Friday. Not sure if sending out interview invitations is based on area of interest, or just last names (mine starts with an "A"). I submitted my interview request form on Monday, but have not received confirmation. I e-mailed them again today, in addition to calling, but only got an answering machine. No word on receipt yet.

Good luck to all who have not yet heard back!
Looking through the posts, maybe the interviews are by areas of interest? Maybe not last names because my last name starts with a 'V' in contrast to 'A' =) But who knows...based on prior comments, lots of mystery behind the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview mystery continues, I'm last name "a" , doc student, and interested in injury prevention and got the interview invitation friday as well. Maybe it's local people first? We are running out of potential explanatory variables.

Hello! I received an invitation to interview last Friday, replied immediately with my choices, and haven't heard anything back. Would it be worth it to call them about it? Has anybody else called and actually received a response?

I combed through my old emails , i applied back in 2011 and received an interview, and received the interview confirmation the next day.
This year i received my invitation to interview last friday, sent it back right away, but still haven't received a confirmation. Seems something is different this year with how things are being processed.

I called and received another number to inquire about the reciept of my application. No answer, so I left a message. I recently
Hello! I received an invitation to interview last Friday, replied immediately with my choices, and haven't heard anything back. Would it be worth it to call them about it? Has anybody else called and actually received a response?

I called the EIS Coordinator number this morning and Gail answered the phone. I told her that I am inquiring about the receipt of my interview request form and she passed me on to someone named Mr. Jeter. No answer with him, so I left a message. Four hours later (and closing time for EST folk), still no call back.

I am just a bit nervous because I applied to a position a few weeks ago, they requested additional materials via email by a certain date. Got it done in a few hours and sent it back to them via email. Turns out they never received it (I never got a confirmation e-mail) and I became ineligible for the position. Do not want this to happen again!

Perhaps they are waiting for the expiration of the 5-day window for interview forms to be received until they send out confirmation dates; in which case we should receive them by early next week (if not today)! I would hope the confirmations come soon, as flights aren't getting any cheaper...

I also received the invitation to interview last Friday, and sent them the request form on that night. I've been relatively "calm" until yesterday when it hit me there might be a possibility that they haven't even received my response in the first place. I wrote them an email inquiring of the status, but no reply so far. I'm so thankful for this thread - to know that it's not just me waiting to hear back - otherwise, I'd be going nuts right now.

Oh, and just to add to the mystery of interview selection, I'm last name "C", infectious disease interest, DVM/PhD, and I'm not local.

Hello All,

I have found this thread to be very helpful. I am an internal medicine trained physician, and I received my interview invitation last week, but it seemed that I had gotten two separate e-mails. I quickly filled out the form attached to the first one, and I sent it back. I really did not notice a difference between the first and the second one. Yesterday, I looked a bit closer, and the form on the second e-mail was different. The first form did not contain check boxes for the CIO selection, and I have sent that back in just a bit ago. I hope to hear soon as to what our interview date will be.

Last edited:
I also called this morning to check if my interview request form had been received. I was forwarded to a number where I left a message. I haven't heard anything back either.
Virgil524- I also received two interview invitation emails which I thought were the same. I just checked now and noticed that the form for the first was different (no check boxes for the CIO choices). Luckily I sent in the form with the CIO options. The other difference I just noticed was that the first email said there will be five interviews and the second email said there will be four interviews.
Did other people receive two invitation emails on Friday?

I received two invitations too and had initially submitted the form without the CIOs but later submitted the one with the CIOs that Friday evening. Both of my invites said 5 interviews lasting 30 mins each. I think they are working on the schedules because I just received an email from the security clearance office asking me to upload more documents, since I am a non-US citizen. I have not yet received an official confirmation date though. Hopefully, we'll hear early next week.

Good luck to all those still waiting for their invites.

I also called this morning to check if my interview request form had been received. I was forwarded to a number where I left a message. I haven't heard anything back either.
Virgil524- I also received two interview invitation emails which I thought were the same. I just checked now and noticed that the form for the first was different (no check boxes for the CIO choices). Luckily I sent in the form with the CIO options. The other difference I just noticed was that the first email said there will be five interviews and the second email said there will be four interviews.
Did other people receive two invitation emails on Friday?

I received the same 2 emails with the same differences. I had responded to both of them just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also subscribe to the "based on area of interest" theory.
I'm infectious disease, and I am guessing ID Doc may be as well?

Yah my interest is in infectious/communicable diseases :) Ha I chose this username so many years ago

I got the 2 emails last Friday. I replied by email first without the form to request dates right away. Then in the afternoon (after 5pm EST) I sent two different emails with my reply with the 2nd corrected PDF. One was normal email with attachment but one I sent through some weird Adobe writer program bc I had trouble saving it. I got an email from Adobe saying they downloaded my form on Tuesday. I got my confirmation of interview date today around 1pm. My last name starts with an S. All of my 3 options were communicable diseases.

I definitely don't understand how they do this but maybe because I did that email reply right away, I got a faster confirmation? They'll probably finish sending them out on Monday. At least flights are cheaper to purchase on Tuesdays!

Reactions: 1 users
OK. Since clicking the refresh button on my email has yet to yield any further EIS communications, I am now allowing myself to also update my spam folder every 30 minutes.

#confessionsofanEIShopeful

Reactions: 1 user
OK. I got an email with my interview date set on last Friday - around 4:30PM. So they are sending the details out..just slowly. And in my case, they might have done it in a rather "hurry" since I'm an international applicant, and there is certain processing time to just make the access to the building possible.

And I also got 2 emails for the interview invitation. And the second form they sent not only had choices for COI, but stated I'll have 4 interviews (instead of 5 in the first email). Are we getting different numbers of interviews..based on the interest..or what??

@TENDAJI, I feel you on that. @World_vet, I think everyone will same number of interviews. It must have been a typo. Oh well, fingers crossed.

I got a date confirmed today. I'm not international. Hopefully others hear soon too!

Is anyone else still waiting for their interview date confirmation? I'm getting very anxious

i am also still waiting to receive interview confirmation. I thought for sure i would hear yesterday, but then i thought that on friday as well...

I am also still waiting for confirmation.

I thought I was so clever to choose the later dates so that tickets would be cheaper, but it looks like my plan has failed. o_O$200 more today... I can't watch this.

I am still waiting, as well. I can't even look at the ticket prices right now! :-/

I also applied and am Still waiting for the invitation . :( Does anyone know is it supposed to have another wave of invites On the way? It seems so far all of you who got the invitations received the emails on the same day, Sept. 26. I am international. So stressful:nurse:

Last edited:
I'm waiting for an invite too. After digging through past emails, my invitation to interview last year came on Oct. 23rd. I assumed then that the late date was because of the Ebola situation, but judging from everyone else on the forum this year, they must send out waves of invites according to some mysterious criteria.

I also applied and am Still waiting for the invitation . :( Does anyone know is it supposed to have another wave of invites On the way? It seems all of you who got the invitations receive the emails on the same day. I am international. So stressful:nurse:
I am waiting for the invitation too. The interview time period for the first wave are from mid Oct. to early Nov. The interview should be last to late of Nov., so I think it should be more invitation for late date. It seems they send invitation on every Friday, but I haven't heard anyone received invitation on last Friday.

I am waiting for the invitation too. The interview time period for the first wave are from mid Oct. to early Nov. The interview should be last to late of Nov., so I think it should be more invitation for late date. It seems they send invitation on every Friday, but I haven't heard anyone received invitation on last Friday.
Yes, it seems no one got the invitation last Friday. How do you know the interview should be last to late of Nov.? I think we can't compare this year with last year because there was Ebola last year. I have no idea about EIS in 2014.

Yes, it seems no one got the invitation last Friday. How do you know the interview should be last to late of Nov.? I think we can't compare this year with last year because there was Ebola last year. I have no idea about EIS in 2014.
I just consider if they don't change the interview procedure and number of invitations, it is impossible to finish all interview in three weeks. But who knows, I am anxiety also...

My first choice was in birth defects and my last name is 'B'...

Last edited:
I just consider if they don't change the interview procedure and number of invitations, it is impossible to finish all interview in three weeks. But who knows, I am anxiety also...
You might be right. Feel better now ;)

I broke down and called the number from my invitation to interview email. I was able to speak with a friendly and helpful staff person at CDC. I wanted to confirm that my response had been received as i had not received a confirmation of interview date yet. Her response was as that confirmations are trying to be sent 2 weeks prior to interview dates, so if your first preference was later you will probably receive a confirmation later, also she did say that invitations to interview are still not complete and that initial invitations are still being sent to applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
I broke down and called the number from my invitation to interview email. I was able to speak with a friendly and helpful staff person at CDC. I wanted to confirm that my response had been received as i had not received a confirmation of interview date yet. Her response was as that confirmations are trying to be sent 2 weeks prior to interview dates, so if your first preference was later you will probably receive a confirmation later, also she did say that invitations to interview are still not complete and that initial invitations are still being sent to applicants.
Very helpful, nickster11! Did the person at least confirm receipt of the scheduling form?

@MEDANTHGAL, the person i spoke with indicated that she did not have access to specifics regarding my application, or if for instance it was safe to purchase a plane ticket yet or if my first preference for date had been accepted.

Does anyone know about how many candidates would be interviewed each day in these three weeks? I am asking because I read 'EIS 2015' again and found someone said 40 or 30 people on their dates of interview. So it seems the last day for the interview won't be changed to a later date. It would be Nov. 6 no matter when they send out the last invite.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I received my interview confirmation this afternoon. I got my first choice and it is more than two weeks from today.

Well, I guess it's reassuring that the interview confirmations seem to be trickling in gradually. For those of us who are working clinically, it's probably a bit stressful not knowing whether we need to rearrange shifts, patient appointments, etc.

Hi guys, I just got my interview confirmation. It was my second choice and more than 2 weeks away. It doesn't seem like there is an obvious pattern though.

Not for me. Still waiting on confirmation for an interview date. :(

I am waiting for the invitation...

Last edited:
I am wondering if the commissioned corps will still be available for EIS officers? Has anyone heard about that?

Last edited:
I hadn't heard anything about any changes to the ability of EIS officers to be CC officers. I'm curious where you heard about the possible change. I applied this year am currently in the CC already, not that means i would have heard anything though.

Not sure if anyone is still checking this page, but I just received my interview confirmation. email arrived 535 Pacific time.

Don't worry, people are checking it! Congrats on finally receiving your confirmation! I think this is the calm before the interview chatter storm.

:(No invitation ...

Epi1010, was your status updated to say that you will not receive an invitation? Or are you still waiting to hear either way? I'm still waiting.

It still says: all of your application materials have been received. Your application is being reviewed. Check back for an update....
Have no idea if the second wave/more waves has been issued or not, or there is no second wave of invites at all.:confused: