EIS 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the update ID Doc. Maybe the second wave of invites will come after Dec 9th

It would be very nice if someone, anyone, "even if they wake me up in the midst of my sweetest dreams", could let us know when the 2nd wave comes through.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an email, I am in the Waitlist/Prematch group! This is a better outcome than what I was expecting, after learning I wasn't in the top 60!

Reactions: 1 users
The email said that the selection process is over now, so we should all hear definitely whether we are in, waitlisted, or otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been waitlisted, as well. Definitely feeling a mix of sadness and optimism. Maybe there's still a chance?

Congrats to those who have gotten more affirmative news!

Last edited:
When were the accepted candidates told they needed to indicate interest in pre-match by?

I applied in the past and was waitlisted, and then applied this year and got in. If you are waitlisted/eligible for pre-match, that means you are close and that the program thinks you are qualified to represent the CDC-- which (I am told) is no small thing. Last time after the pre-match spots were filled they sent out an email with some suggestions about how to improve your application if you decide to apply again. Don't lose hope!

Reactions: 1 users
I applied in the past and was waitlisted, and then applied this year and got in. If you are waitlisted/eligible for pre-match, that means you are close and that the program thinks you are qualified to represent the CDC-- which (I am told) is no small thing. Last time after the pre-match spots were filled they sent out an email with some suggestions about how to improve your application if you decide to apply again. Don't lose hope!

Thank you, AsherAysh! That is really encouraging to hear. Thanks for sending that ray of sunshine our way.

So I suppose the next step will be for us all the keep each other posted with what we hear about pre matching :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Can you share what kind of suggestions they said in the email? Is it pretty general or for you specifically?

I just got an email, I am in the Waitlist/Prematch group! This is a better outcome than what I was expecting, after learning I wasn't in the top 60!
60 out of how many applicants? Do you know? So what does it mean to be waitlisted? Do you still have a shot this year if one the 60 people decide not to go for it anymore?

60 out of how many applicants? Do you know? So what does it mean to be waitlisted? Do you still have a shot this year if one the 60 people decide not to go for it anymore?
At at the interview, they said they had about 600 applications, interviewed 200. If people are wait listed, they could get offered a spot if someone declines a position. They can also get pulled off the wait list and given a spot this year if they are selected during the pre match.

Can you share what kind of suggestions they said in the email? Is it pretty general or for you specifically?

It was general, but specific to applicants who are reapplying-- basically it instructed to update references and explain what was new in your application and how it fits in with your overall application.

Anyone hear anything about pre match spots being filled yet?

Is having public health experience an advantage over someone who has more advanced degree but no work experience in public health?

Sorry sourapril, I don't have a good answer for your question.

I am curious to know if anyone has heard re: wait list... Thanks.

i expect that i did not get in, but i still haven't heard anything since the interview. I'm planning on calling to check in on monday to check to see if they are still working through the final rejection notices.

I have heard nothing about the wait list since I turned in my form that I was interested in the waitlist. I believe the email did say that prematch would be completed by the end of January, though.

This is my first time posting. I was waitlisted, too. I have not heard anything since turning in my form.

First time chiming in here. Did not know this forum existed until this week.

I applied this year, interviewed, and just got my official rejection letter for EIS 2016. Anyone have any luck getting feedback on their individual application? It was my first time applying, and I would really really like to reapply, but I would love to know more details on which parts of the application I can improve on.

Thanks! And congrats to those who were accepted!

Last edited:
I was waitlisted as well. I still have not heard anything about the Pre-Match positions. I was hoping that I would here something soon as I have to commit to some form of employment in the very near term.

I've been hanging out on the waitlist and like many of you, I haven't heard anything about Pre-Match positions yet. The e-mail stated that we should expect to hear back about Pre-Match by January 29th, so it looks like we'll have to hang tight just a little longer. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but I've begun to apply to other post-doc programs and fellowships to hold me over if EIS doesn't pan out this year (with the intention of reapplying in August).

Sourapril, from what I understand, it technically is possible to have too much public health experience (since EIS is first and foremost a training program in applied epi), although I suspect that if you got to the interview stage, they still thought you were a pretty viable candidate. I have a few years of public health experience on top of the PhD, so I was wondering the same thing! I think their desired composition for each class really varies from year to year, depending on their needs, so these things can be pretty hard to predict. :)

I just received an email saying that I was accepted from the wait list!
Hope other people get good news too!

Reactions: 3 users
I just received an email saying that I was accepted from the wait list!
Hope other people get good news too!
That is a nice new years gift. Does it say if you are going to the match or if you are pre-matched?

I was admitted as part of the general class. It sounds like they might be making some calls for pre-match options in the next few weeks.

I was admitted as part of the general class. It sounds like they might be making some calls for pre-match options in the next few weeks.
@ischicago what made it sound like pre-match options are still to be filled? Just curious... Not getting my hopes up...

@srm227 I was told by someone in the office that they haven't yet filled all the pre-match locations.

I just received news via email that I will be interviewing for a prematch position! I am very excited about this-- has anyone else heard anything?

I just received news via email that I will be interviewing for a prematch position! I am very excited about this-- has anyone else heard anything?
Does that mean it's a phone interview or you have to go in person?

Do you think it's worthwhile to attend the EIS conference before you apply? I was talking to some formal officers and they recommend to attend the conference and network.

Do you think it's worthwhile to attend the EIS conference before you apply? I was talking to some formal officers and they recommend to attend the conference and network.
There is a scholarship that EIS usually offers for potential applicants to attend the conference so keep an eye out for that.
Networking is always a good thing and getting a better idea of the program to make sure it is something you want to do is good. It might be good to mention that you attended the conference in your personal statement since it shows motivation and that you are likely to have a clear idea of the program in general. Also, attending might help give you concrete ideas for what to put in your personal statement.

I am in the 2016 EIS Class through Prematching! I am so happy, I hope others get some good news, too! I am very excited for what's to come :)

I learned shortly after my last post that I've been accepted! I'm so happy to hear that others have gotten some happy news recently, too. I'm really looking forward to meeting you all in May.

For others who are still waiting- you should hopefully hear something soon! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya...

Hi sourapril, I'm planning on attending the EIS conference in Atlanta this May. I'm new to this forum and the thread so hello! Are you going?

I want to but I haven't seen the registration info posted on the website yet.

I want to but I haven't seen the registration info posted on the website yet.
Since the conference is in May, I suspect registration will open up late March-early May! Hopefully, David J. Sencer scholarships are available as well!

I am planning to attend the conference this year, and it looks like registration just opened today. For anyone else going, are you going all 4 days or just for a portion of the conference?

I am planning to attend the conference this year, and it looks like registration just opened today. For anyone else going, are you going all 4 days or just for a portion of the conference?
I can only attend the first two days. I couldn't find the tentative agenda yet. Thank you for the heads up on registration! Signing up right now! After the conference, should we setup an EIS 2017 thread?

Hi everyone! I'm a new member to this thread, currently finishing up with my IM residency and concurrently finished an MPH (+ Global Health Certificate). I am eagerly interested in applying to the EIS 2017 program and found your thread for the last application year extremely helpful! Hope to see some of you at the conference in May.