ek 1001 physics..do people actually get these questions right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seriously, i owned the first two sections of ek 1001 physics then got to the third..and was like wtf? I didnt even know how to approach half the questions and the explanation confused me even more then the question, lol.

So id like to know, did ek 1001 help anyone and I should just try to get through these painful books or is it safe to discard them? For the record I thought tbr and tpr both had easier questions, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I liked EK 1001s for the Biology and Verbal. Not so much for physics, chemistry and ochem (I used Princeton review instead).

yeah im only resorting to them because thats all i have left to do, lol. These questions take sooo long to solve I feel like.

I was just thinking the exact same thing, glad I'm not the only one! For nailing down concepts and extra practice the questions are good but yea, some of them are impossible for me to figure out without looking at the answers first! I know if a torque question like the one I just tried solving 5min ago shows up on my MCAT, I'll get more points by guessing on it and saving the time!

Members don't see this ad :)
id say over half of them are ridiculously hard, lol

for the record i averaged 10-11 on aamcs PS section, and did fairly well on nova and tbr physics, lol

Reactions: 1 users
Yea, I thought a lot of the questions required you to remember specific formulas etc. But I thought it was okay practice... but if you have better study materials, I would skip it

there usually seems to be some rare circumstances in those problems.

"A would normally be the answer, but, since today is Tuesday, g is only 4.9, so the answer is actually B. Thanks for playing."

Reactions: 2 users

"A would normally be the answer, but, since today is Tuesday, g is only 4.9, so the answer is actually B. Thanks for playing."

bahahah yes! i was thinking the same thing...I pick A and the books ;ike "Well you probably picked A..but you're wrong.."

bahahah yes! i was thinking the same thing...I pick A and the books ;ike "Well you probably picked A..but you're wrong.."

dude i thought the ek physiucs and chem were ridiculously hard. I scored 80%+ in Physics in TBR and 85% ++++ in tbr chem and I would get like 50% in ek. I did the first 2/3 of most of them, decided im not gonna do the last 1/3. use that time elsewhere

Compared to TBR, EK 1001 Physics was pretty simple (or at least straightforward). I found them to be pretty similar to AAMC Physics discretes.

seriously, i owned the first two sections of ek 1001 physics then got to the third..and was like wtf? I didnt even know how to approach half the questions and the explanation confused me even more then the question, lol.

So id like to know, did ek 1001 help anyone and I should just try to get through these painful books or is it safe to discard them? For the record I thought tbr and tpr both had easier questions, lol.
You have to understand there are a lot smart people on SDN. I sometimes am shocked how people are able to solve some stuff on the QA forum

Compared to TBR, EK 1001 Physics was pretty simple (or at least straightforward). I found them to be pretty similar to AAMC Physics discretes.

what no way? lol, i thought aamc was way easier, I scored 10s and 11s on aamc ps but im getting owned by ek physics, and i did way better on tbr

what no way? lol, i thought aamc was way easier, I scored 10s and 11s on aamc ps but im getting owned by ek physics, and i did way better on tbr

Problem with the EK is that they have some crazy conceptual stuff as well as their questions can be worded extremely poorly. And they also have some crazy calculation problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the mentality between EK's 1001 is that they ask ridiculously hard questions so that you find the CBTs easy by comparison. I don't know that I agree with the philosophy; by asking such hard questions, they sometimes prep you for the wrong kind of questions.

Not to say that 1001 is no good; I'd just recommend using it in conjunction with other good resources. Though I will say that that the physics 1001 questions are probably not beyond the scope of your knowledge. I started doing much better on them after reviewing the physics animations at j co review. You just have to get down the technique to approaching the problems.

The problem as I see it is two things. First, the questions are just plain unrealistic. They were written ten years ago, so maybe that's how it used to be. Many questions read like a brain teaser, and that's just not the way the MCAT works. They get you thinking, but about basic facts and not how to apply them to new situations. As long as your MCAT presents things you recognize, you'll be good. But God forbid they have a weird passage about ants on sail boat changing direction with the wind (hypothetical example and not something on my MCAT). The second problem is that their answers are worthless. When you get a question wrong and the explanation is ten words long, it doesn't help at all. I abandoned using them until the very last minute. Once I'd exhausted passages from a better source I used 1001 for quick bursts of recall. They're good for that. The questions are much easier after you've reviewed using another book.

I had a few threads complaining about the difficulty of EK Physics 1001. I thought it was mostly me because its my weakest subject. Being weak in the subject is one thing, but not being able to even set up the problems when you are pretty good at it is totally different. I decided not to use them because of that. I don't want to put myself in the mindframe that on the test the questions are super hard and trying to confuse me like EK. You can get really screwed that way. I prefer TPRH science workbook and I haven't started the in-class compendium yet. Besides, I think it is better, and others agree, to practice with passages instead. It is not so difficult to figure out AAMC discretes as it is to understand the passages. OP, if you are doing ok using TBR and scoring double digits in AAMCs then you are fine.

lmao

I know this is a late bump but surprisingly I struggle a lot with EK 1001 physics but I get 13-14 on practice tests on TBR. And I've heard the TBR physics is more realistic. EK 1001 physics has a few occasional questions that really feel like they are badly worded.

Again. Super late bump but I figured I'd bring this up. I was under the impression that these guys were "easy" as someone told me they were. Glad some people are in the same boat!

This was after launching my physics notebook with an initial velocity of 100m/s at an angle 30º to the horizontal down an incline. Luckily there was no non conservative forces to stop the book so I don't have to look at it again!

It seems like the 1001 books just focus on content review and are not the best way to improve the actual scoren question are not even passage based so you are not working on critical reading skills

It seems like the 1001 books just focus on content review and are not the best way to improve the actual scoren question are not even passage based so you are not working on critical reading skills

Yeah but if you don't know your content well then your analysis of it won't fare too well. It's difficult but it is helping with physics.