EK Bio Lec 4, Pas 1, Q76

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimeaciax

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Amphetamines cause epinephrine to be release from a the ends of associated neurons. Which of the following most likely NOT a symptom of amphetamine usage?

A. increased heart rate
B. elevated blood glucose lvls
C. constricted pupils
D. increase basal metabolism

I don't understand why "C" is correct in this case. Epinephrine/Adrenaline is a sympathetic neurotransmitter. Since the Sympathetic Nervous System mainly deals with "fight or flight," wouldn't "D" be the most logical choice for this question?

Please explain. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You got it. Amphetamine is a sympathomimetic. Amphetamine/cocaine or any sympathomimetic will cause mydriasis not miosis. So constricted pupils (miosis) would be parasympathetic stimulation. Since the question asks which one is not a symptom then it would be C.

How I remember it is "fight or flight" with sympathetic stimulation you want to see everything around you so your pupils Dilate (myDriasis). Also you need energy so you have increased basal metabolism.

If you have a patient with opiate overdose you would see miosis.

Hope that helped.

Amphetamines cause epinephrine to be release from a the ends of associated neurons. Which of the following most likely NOT a symptom of amphetamine usage?

A. increased heart rate
B. elevated blood glucose lvls
C. constricted pupils
D. increase basal metabolism

I don't understand why "C" is correct in this case. Epinephrine/Adrenaline is a sympathetic neurotransmitter. Since the Sympathetic Nervous System mainly deals with "fight or flight," wouldn't "D" be the most logical choice for this question?

Please explain. Thanks.

Like Nicole mentioned, when you're in a "fight or flight" situation, you want to be able to see as much as you can around you. Dilation of pupils will allow this, not constriction.

The increased heart rate, increased blood glucose levels, and increased basal metabolism all work together to provide the energy for your muscles whether you decide to stay and fight or run.

Hope this helps.