EK or NextStep FL for last 4-5 practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedro1986

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have about five weeks to go, and have written the AAMC FL, and TPR 1-4.

I understand that EK and NS have the most AAMC like feel, so would like move to the FLs.

Any recommendations on one over the other? I understand that EK 3 & 4 and NS 4 & 5 are a bit more recent and more representive of the AAMC MCAT. I'd prefer not to buy from both companies, however, I want to be as prepared as possible as I am an non trad student.

Other than the FLs, I will be working through the AAMC question packs, TPR Science Work Book, and the in class exams from EK.

I work full time, so I write/review the FLs on the weekend, and study/write passages during the week days.

Thanks for the help all and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have about five weeks to go, and have written the AAMC FL, and TPR 1-4.

I understand that EK and NS have the most AAMC like feel, so would like move to the FLs.

Any recommendations on one over the other? I understand that EK 3 & 4 and NS 4 & 5 are a bit more recent and more representive of the AAMC MCAT. I'd prefer not to buy from both companies, however, I want to be as prepared as possible as I am an non trad student.

Other than the FLs, I will be working through the AAMC question packs, TPR Science Work Book, and the in class exams from EK.

I work full time, so I write/review the FLs on the weekend, and study/write passages during the week days.

Thanks for the help all and good luck to everyone!
I'd recommend them both if you can. NS 4-5 cannot be bought without 1-3. I tried exams from all 4 of the top companies with full lengths available (EK, Kaplan, TPR, NS). I ended up using NS and EK most. I think EK does some things better (experiment/medical like passages, AAMC voice in sciences) and NS does other things better (answer explanations, AAMC CARS logical thinking, integrating diff science content into 1 passage and/or Q)

The EK exams are pricey, but IMO since you can buy them separately, I'd get 1-3 and NS 1-3. This way you get the popular EK exams plus good NS exams. NS revamped all their exams a few weeks ago when the aamc released the first scaled scores and score data. My exams changed (you get 6 months of access) and now they all seem to be more evenly balanced among 1-5 (5 is still the best) so I would say there is not much of a disadvantage to getting just 1-3.

EK waited till after the new exam was out to release their exams and it shows. 1-3 are pretty good at catching the aamc voice and have thousands of student experience that rate them so. I never took 4 but I would say to pick up the first 3.

The more varied your practice (so long as its good, well made practice) the better off you are. Especially since the AAMC has only 1 new exam + the OG exam. That's what I did and it worked out very well (518 on 6/19 exam) for me. With 6 exams you can use some of them as section tests to work on timing/pacing/endurance.

Thanks for the response! I bought NS 1-5 and will buy some EK as well (3 & 4 maybe as they are newer).

I plan on writing just some section tests in the evening to maximize my usage.

All the best

can someone explain passage 9 from the first section of test 1
why is a negative RSE value more stable

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the aamc material available
never used altuis so I cant say
what are the aamc material available

I don't have the new next step exams (took mine in 2015) so I cant help you. Nextstep does have a separate forum here

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/next-step-mcat-tutor-office-hours-sponsored.970/

I have no experience with altuis, cannot help you there.

All ammc materials are for sale at

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/online-practice-mcat-exam/

I would 100% recommend getting all the aamc stuff (least useful was the Q packs).