EK orgo before taking a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halcyon32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I recently started the 1st lecture on orgo in the EK 7th edition book and I did BAD on the 30 min exam. like 6/23 questions correct bad. I feel like it's testing stuff that is going to be covered in the following chapters I haven't read yet. But if I'm going to be honest, I don't fully understand even the first chapter stuff yet. Now, I haven't taken an orgo class at uni yet and I was wondering if when I do I can expect better comprehension of the materials or should I be able to get just as thorough of an understanding and comprehension from teaching myself from the EK book (and some khan academy videos). Do you guys anticipate that I will understand the stuff much better after having taken an orgo class?

Members don't see this ad.

You could probably learn it, but I think it would be best if you take the class before you take the exam. You will definitely understand the stuff much better after you take the class. One of my friends was also planning on taking the MCAT (but only with one semester of orgo done), but decided to postpone until he finished the second semester of orgo (and apparently, a solid decision on his end). In the end, you want to be in the best shape possible, which can help with finishing all of the pre-reqs. Since there is also overlap with orgo and biochem on the exam, I think it would be good if you took the course. Hope this helps and you got this! :)

There's a reason you see weekly threads on this site talking about how much pre-meds hate Ochem or your bi weekly neurotic posts "Will this C+ I got in Ochem keep me out of med school". It's meant to be a tough class, not one you simply self study for. Trying and teaching a class like that to yourself will only end poorly.

You could probably learn it, but I think it would be best if you take the class before you take the exam. You will definitely understand the stuff much better after you take the class. One of my friends was also planning on taking the MCAT (but only with one semester of orgo done), but decided to postpone until he finished the second semester of orgo (and apparently, a solid decision on his end). In the end, you want to be in the best shape possible, which can help with finishing all of the pre-reqs. Since there is also overlap with orgo and biochem on the exam, I think it would be good if you took the course. Hope this helps and you got this! :)
Oh yeah I'm definitely gonna take orgo before taking the MCAT. I just figured I would start studying this semester and get a bit of a head start for next semester. Very helpful, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah I'm definitely gonna take orgo before taking the MCAT. I just figured I would start studying this semester and get a bit of a head start for next semester. Very helpful, thank you!

OH so sorry if I misunderstood your original post! That sounds good! Yeah, it will be less frustrating for you to do the orgo content review after you take the class. But props to you for prepping ahead of time! :)

OH so sorry if I misunderstood your original post! That sounds good! Yeah, it will be less frustrating for you to do the orgo content review after you take the class. But props to you for prepping ahead of time! :)
haha thanks a lot for your advice you were very helpful! :D