EK vs BR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j49sun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just started on my MCAT studying and have been using the BR book. I also have the EK book and it seems a lot more easier and shorter to review each unit. But I see that most people strongly recommend BR over EK (with the exception of substituting EK bio for BR bio). Is BR really that much better than EK? I'm really tempted to switch over.. lol.

Your opinions on this would be invaluable :)

Members don't see this ad.

No one is going to recommend BR Bio over EK Bio for content review. The BS section of the MCAT is not very knowledge heavy at all. EK contains all the information you'll need. BR Bio for content would be a waste of time.

Use EK Bio for content and use BR Bio for passages. SN2's guide describes what passages in BR correspond to the EK chapters.

Reactions: 1 user
No one is going to recommend BR Bio over EK Bio for content review. The BS section of the MCAT is not very knowledge heavy at all. EK contains all the information you'll need. BR Bio for content would be a waste of time.

Use EK Bio for content and use BR Bio for passages. SN2's guide describes what passages in BR correspond to the EK chapters.
Thanks! It seems SN2 only provided BR Bio passages for EK Bio but not for the other EK subjects?

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR orgo is way too dense too.
EK has all you need for orgo. But, EK expects you to know basics stuff, so if you are weak in orgo, it mite not be good for u.

PS sections is best prepped for using TBR. I used TBR for orgo since I was 2 year out of that class. I used a combo of both TBR bio/EK Bio/TPRH Bio and I would, in retrospect, consider that a waste of time. I wish I read through EK Bio once or twice, use TBR Bio passages as a learning tool and TPRH Bio passages as a diagnostic tool.

TBR for PS is unmatched, EK is more than enough for Organic and Bio **IMO**

TBR for PS is unmatched, EK is more than enough for Organic and Bio **IMO**

@IlyaR I had a question, I'm about to start studying for the MCAT and my organic background is very weak, I'm scared that if I use TBR, it will take me forever to finish and not very "efficient", do you think I can use Princeton/EK/Orgo textbook for Organic? Or do you recommend for someone like me from a weak background to actually use TBR for Orgo?

Thanks

@IlyaR I had a question, I'm about to start studying for the MCAT and my organic background is very weak, I'm scared that if I use TBR, it will take me forever to finish and not very "efficient", do you think I can use Princeton/EK/Orgo textbook for Organic? Or do you recommend for someone like me from a weak background to actually use TBR for Orgo?

Thanks
Hmm honestly speaking I knew organic like the back of my hand before reviewing with EK, and while I can't speak for TPR organic, I hear TBR is great for those who need a more in depth review

Hmm honestly speaking I knew organic like the back of my hand before reviewing with EK, and while I can't speak for TPR organic, I hear TBR is great for those who need a more in depth review

I see, thanks a lot

TBR orgo is way too dense too.

There's a lot of it, but I wouldn't call it dense necessarily. If you know orgo it's not hard to get through, and if you don't it'll be helpful most likely. I never used EK so I can't compare the two.

There's a lot of it, but I wouldn't call it dense necessarily. If you know orgo it's not hard to get through, and if you don't it'll be helpful most likely. I never used EK so I can't compare the two.

I agree, at least book 1 was not that dense nor difficult.

To the OP, having used both, EK Bio is the way to go. You need to focus on breaking apart heavy passages for both verbal and bio, and EK has a pretty good 1001 series for both verbal and Bio. Highly recommed both.
ANd if you can get through both TBR gen chem and physics, you'll be on track

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but from what I've been getting from people on this forum is to use EK for Bio and Orgo, TBR for chem and phys and Ek 101 for VR? PS is one of my weak areas. Ek has been pretty simple and straight forward for me but the questions aren't like the mcat passage questions.

EK 101 verbal passages are not even comparable to the real deal either.
They are way too short + way too easy to comprehend. Also, the way they ask questions is so different. I recommend TPRH verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK 101 verbal passages are not even comparable to the real deal either.
They are way too short + way too easy to comprehend. Also, the way they ask questions is so different. I recommend TPRH verbal.

This is scary. Do you think scores on EK 101 tests are at least predictive though?

The more i look into recommendations for study material the more it seems like its a personal preference. Ive been hearing different things about good VR practice material, this is the first time i heard about TPRH for verbal.

TPRH Verbal is less recommended, because it's more expensive, so less people use it. The general consensus from people who have used both (myself included) is AAMC > TPHR > EK > the rest when it comes to VR. Verbal isn't really a personal preference thing, since there's no content to learn (I think verbal strategies are useless). TPRH is just the most similar to AAMC.

Verbal is one of the hardest to "nail down"; do what works for you, but as mentioed, AAMC practice tests are really the best.

I found verbal 1001 from EK to be useful. That's just me.

For orgo, what you need to know is that TBR Orgo is 8 lectures vs EK's Orgo is 4 lectures. EK's lectures is like a summary of Orgo explanations, whereas TBR Orgo breaks down everything to their foundations. I suggest if you want to make sure you do well, to spend some extra time on TBR Orgo and have it down (if you aren't confident in Orgo). At max, it'll take you 16 days to get through it, if you give yourself 1 day for reading the lecture notes, then 1 day for practicing the 10 passages and reviewing them.

For orgo, what you need to know is that TBR Orgo is 8 lectures vs EK's Orgo is 4 lectures. EK's lectures is like a summary of Orgo explanations, whereas TBR Orgo breaks down everything to their foundations. I suggest if you want to make sure you do well, to spend some extra time on TBR Orgo and have it down (if you aren't confident in Orgo). At max, it'll take you 16 days to get through it, if you give yourself 1 day for reading the lecture notes, then 1 day for practicing the 10 passages and reviewing them.

well said - that's what I decided to do. I'm not confident in Orgo at all and I have difficulty understanding it. I will probably be postponing my exam for 2 weeks just to fit in TBR Orgo.

I agree. If you know your organic well, it carries over. The way they teach you to think about questions and information translates to success on the other sections as well as organic. It doesn't take that much time to read the books; it's the hundred something passages that takes your time.

I agree. If you know your organic well, it carries over. The way they teach you to think about questions and information translates to success on the other sections as well as organic. It doesn't take that much time to read the books; it's the hundred something passages that takes your time.

Do you think someone with a weak organic background can use TBR as their primary resource? Or would I get lost? Should I read TPR/EK first to get a sense and then go to TBR? Or do you think TBR explains everything and I can use it even though I'm pretty weak in orgo?

Do you think someone with a weak organic background can use TBR as their primary resource? Or would I get lost? Should I read TPR/EK first to get a sense and then go to TBR? Or do you think TBR explains everything and I can use it even though I'm pretty weak in orgo?
TBR organic explains it all. You won't get lost... I would recommend TBR to people who even have a good organic background...

TBR organic explains it all. You won't get lost... I would recommend TBR to people who even have a good organic background...

Thanks! I originally thought it's best to start with TPR/EK first and then dive into TBR since it could be too dense for someone with zero background, but I guess I will have to take your advice and just start and finish with TBR ! I hope I can get through the books

Thanks! I originally thought it's best to start with TPR/EK first and then dive into TBR since it could be too dense for someone with zero background, but I guess I will have to take your advice and just start and finish with TBR ! I hope I can get through the books
It is dense because it has detailed explanations of everything. I actually took the MCAT last year and I found the organic part of the MCAT was the easiest because of what I learned in these TBR organic books. Try to understand book II very well.

It is dense because it has detailed explanations of everything. I actually took the MCAT last year and I found the organic part of the MCAT was the easiest because of what I learned in these TBR organic books. Try to understand book II very well.
Awesome, no more TPR/EK for me :D starting from TBR!!

Awesome, no more TPR/EK for me :D starting from TBR!!
I think TBR organic and general chem are the best out of all the TBR books. TBR physics is overrated IMO. I will be retaking in May because I did not do too well in VR.

I think TBR organic and general chem are the best out of all the TBR books. TBR physics is overrated IMO. I will be retaking in May because I did not do too well in VR.

Nice, I'm going to start studying within the next few days officially.. taking it may.

I heard alot of good comments about TBR books (including yours) so my plan is to use TBR for everything but TPR For Bio.... taking it in May too... my first time taking it..

I'm already freaking out

I used EK bio and orgo and ended up with a 12 in BS. They are more than enough so long as you have a good foundation going in.

To be honest I don't have a good foundation in organic at all... I'm pretty sure EK won't be enough.. I was debating whether or not TBR would be a good choice for someone like me...

To be honest I don't have a good foundation in organic at all... I'm pretty sure EK won't be enough.. I was debating whether or not TBR would be a good choice for someone like me...
It's super thorough, so if you need a full review of the subject, it isn't a bad choice. If you're short on time though, EK probably won't kill you.

I thought EK Bio was excellent. I did not use any other bio review books.

edit: I didn't study orgo at all, because I have a great foundation in that subject. If you don't have a good orgo background then I don't know.

Last edited:
Berkeley review has so much more detail it's unbelievable. in my experience i used examcrackers to give me the basics so i could handle berkeley review and actually benefit from studying using those books and doing the passages.

Berkeley review has so much more detail it's unbelievable. in my experience i used examcrackers to give me the basics so i could handle berkeley review and actually benefit from studying using those books and doing the passages.

nice so you advocate the idea of reading through TPR or EK first before reading Berkeley just to better understand the materials in TBR?

Did you have a strong background in orgo when you first started?

I'm about to start but I'm very weak in orgo

nice so you advocate the idea of reading through TPR or EK first before reading Berkeley just to better understand the materials in TBR?

Did you have a strong background in orgo when you first started?

I'm about to start but I'm very weak in orgo

Out of all the subjects organic chemistry is my strongest subject because I developed an intuitive understanding of it as an undergrad and that's what really helps to understand it and answer problems correctly. The berkeley review and examcrackers are both variable for studying for that. Examcrackers is more basic, the berkeley review throws a lot of reactions at you at once, does some weird things like automatically assume you know what hybridization is, and the passages are challenging. still go through them eventually. If anything i'd recommend downloading the aamcs official guidlines of what they cover for ochem and reviewing old lecture notes and watching youtube videos. the ochem on the mcat really isn't the bad (nothing like undergrad), but this is what really helped me. Also make flashcards and drill yourself. if you can understand ochem well a lot of the ochem questions will be the easier questions in the bio sci section.

Also, if you go through examcrackers and feel it is worthless or isn't helping you, change things up and dont waste time on it. i've gone through that point with each study book and came back to them later when i had a better understanding and that really helped.