EK101 Verbal too easy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisMack390

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing the passages in the EK101 book and noticed that they are much easier than the Kaplan practice test and Qbank passages, both in terms of reading the passages themselves and the types of questions asked. Specifically, the EK book is very heavy in 'detail' questions where the answer is pretty plainly stated somewhere in the passage while Kaplan loves questions with much more analysis required.

What is more accurate to the real thing? This EK101 book was recommended to me by several people (online and IRL) but it frankly seems a bit too easy...then again I started with Kaplan so maybe I just got accustomed to brutally difficult passages.

Members don't see this ad.

If EK is too easy for you, then that is pretty fantastic.
I feel as though EK is pretty standard for predictability of types of questions you will encounter on the MCAT.
However, I do suggest doing passages from various sources - TPR, Kaplan, etc when it comes to verbal.
I know some friends who even used LSAT passages to prep! For me, it helped having a wide variety of resources to test out passages. Basically I was that person sitting in the bookstore to do passages...........

Members don't see this ad :)
If EK is too easy for you, then that is pretty fantastic.
I feel as though EK is pretty standard for predictability of types of questions you will encounter on the MCAT.
However, I do suggest doing passages from various sources - TPR, Kaplan, etc when it comes to verbal.
I know some friends who even used LSAT passages to prep! For me, it helped having a wide variety of resources to test out passages. Basically I was that person sitting in the bookstore to do passages...........

I wouldn't say its "too easy" I guess. I've been getting 75-85% of the questions correct on Kaplan and more like 90-95% correct on the EK. Room to improve either way, but if the real thing is closer to EK I am feeling pretty good.

I think the main difference is that every single Kaplan passage is really dense, while EK throws in a couple of soft balls.

I wouldn't say its "too easy" I guess. I've been getting 75-85% of the questions correct on Kaplan and more like 90-95% correct on the EK. Room to improve either way, but if the real thing is closer to EK I am feeling pretty good.

I think the main difference is that every single Kaplan passage is really dense, while EK throws in a couple of soft balls.
Then I'd say just do a mix of both! Have you been doing multiple passages at once too?

Are the 2011 and 2012 edition the same? Which one does everyone use?

I'd assume so because those companies hardly change their material. Any changes made to newer editions typically involve formatting (change of font, page layout, etc.), minor addition/subtraction of questions, and maybe new addition of material. One year would hardly make a difference. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of passages are the same since several years ago.

Kaplan is not really representative of the CARS/verbal on the mcat in anyway. They essentially test completely different skills from what's tested on the actual MCAT in terms of ignoring the whole making inferences and having to answer questions where there is nothing in the passage that directly answers the question. They aren't where I would focus my efforts

EK while not perfect at least tries to simulate the MCAT feel with those inference and extrapolation questions. They are well worth the practice and a good showing there is a good indicator of having a solid grasp of MCAT necessary skills

@GrapesofRath I'm surprised to see you say that, because to me it always seems like Kaplan is asking question about strengthening/weakening arguments, applying the authors argument to new situations, etc. On the other hand, most EK questions are directly answered in the passage, sometimes literally word for word.

@GrapesofRath I'm surprised to see you say that, because to me it always seems like Kaplan is asking question about strengthening/weakening arguments, applying the authors argument to new situations, etc. On the other hand, most EK questions are directly answered in the passage, sometimes literally word for word.

I mean I am hardly the only person to say this. Many many people haven't been huge fans of Kaplan verbal over the years. The Kaplan questions in my mind simply miss the mark on replicating the feel of the AAMC style verbal and the answer for so many of their questions(even the strengthen/weaken arguments) very often is directly from finding the right sentence in the passage that directly answers the question. The best way to show this is just compare some Kaplan passages to AAMC ones it'll be a lot more apparent the differences

Like I said about EK isn't perfect and yeah there are questions which are simply testing can you recall one or two sentences in the passage specifically but I think they have a fair number of questions similar to AAMC style in terms of making you have inferences and get a feel for the tone of the passage. I will say just from the content of passages Kaplan is more realistic to AAMC than exam krackers which don't have tons of passages as dry or dull as what you'll see from AAMC. But content alone isn't really what allows for verbal practice

I mean I am hardly the only person to say this. Many many people haven't been huge fans of Kaplan verbal over the years. The Kaplan questions in my mind simply miss the mark on replicating the feel of the AAMC style verbal and the answer for so many of their questions(even the strengthen/weaken arguments) very often is directly from finding the right sentence in the passage that directly answers the question.

I don't know, most people say that the Kap ones are much more difficult than the real thing. If you look at that spreadsheet SDN is compiling most people barely cracked 127 on their practice CARS, even among people who scored 520+ on their tests.

I don't know, most people say that the Kap ones are much more difficult than the real thing. If you look at that spreadsheet SDN is compiling most people barely cracked 127 on their practice CARS, even among people who scored 520+ on their tests.

More difficult is far different than saying it is a realistic simulation of the Verbal/CARS section. If you make a test of questions that are on obscure details in passages but that can be directly answered from those little details sure that's hard but it's not any kind of realistic practice for what you'll see on the real thing.

Ah, I see what you mean. Whatever, I'll just keep up with both and add in the AAMC and Khan stuff closer to my test.

Ah, I see what you mean. Whatever, I'll just keep up with both and add in the AAMC and Khan stuff closer to my test.
Agreed, your priority should be what CARS material matches the feel of the AAMC's CARS logic more so than whether you find it easy or hard. You will get a mix of passage and Q type and difficulty on test day, so you need to see them all.

Detail Qs train you to keep track of info in the passage for when you need it (like a patient chart), global Qs teach you to summarize a main point from all that info you read while thinking (like working up a DDx) and the skill 3 and 4 Qs ask you to think about the reasoning behind the arguments given and what new info may do to those arguments (justifying your Tx plan and making revisions to it based on new lab results).

Point is, you need to see them all. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I remember their passages being too interesting and/or short, but nonetheless essential practice.

Reactions: 1 user