EKG topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azapaza

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am giving a presentation on EKGs at an EMS event and
was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on useful topics, other than STEMI and STEMI mimics.

THanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Blocks. Basic ones that most should know, plus you can add in fascicular blocks, and ACS in the presence of blocks.

Members don't see this ad :)
torsades, blocks( AV AND VENTRICULAR), lyte abnormalities like long qt with hypokalemia, sine wave with hyper-k, etc

Thanks for the input. I will try to incorporate some of these ideas.

Although it's technically a separate area from EKGs, I would really study up and review cardiac output with the students. It's amazing how poorly understood cardiac output is with a lot of practitioners. If you understand cardiac output, I mean REALLY understand it, then it makes the world of EKGs much simpler. If you have a solid understanding of how the heart works both physiologically and electrically, you can take the electrical evidence (EKG), put it in your head, and identify the possible issues associated with that rhythm. I would really get into the SV X HR discussion, form a few examples of low cardiac output, and I would even break down the formula for SV (EDV - ESV) with the students. I would also mention ejection fraction since there is such high prevalence of patients with CHF and dysrhythmias that are associated with CHF and other causes of low EF.

Good luck with your presentation.

I would go over RBBB and LBBB. It's amazing how many medics in the field that miss read them. Obviously in the field we're not to concerned with them. Unless it is a new onset LBBB.

Reactions: 1 user