Elctives - Need Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ammie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My university organizes clinical electives in collaboration with a number of universities every year.

I attend a European university where all teaching is in English.

I have a US citizenship and would like to work in the US in the future (I've never lived or studied in the US).

Now 2 of the places where electives are open this year are the UK and Canada.
How should I go for order or preference? Should I put Canada or UK first?

There is no guarantee I will get the one I want (or either for that purpose) but I still would like to know if anyone has an opinion which would be the best move if I want to eventually practice in the US.

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

it is known that anyone wants to make a move to the USA should have practiced in Canada or USA before "which make it easier step to the USA in the future"

so I recommend Canada .....

Canada should come first. However, you can arrange your electives in the US on your own. So why to go to Canada in first place if you can go to the states?

Members don't see this ad :)
Duplicate by mistake.

If I go through my university organisation I get no fees (application or tuition), I get free lodging and also some money to help me live there during the elective. That is mainly why I would like to go through that route.

Another reason is that I am still completely perplexed on how to apply on my own.
Most places don't take international students. I have no idea how to go through an application.
Also the idea of paying an application fee and then not have any guarantee to get the elective (or so I've been told this can happen).
Finally I have no idea if I can play my citizenship to my advantage.
Bureaucracy is not my forte.

Last edited:
If I go through my university organisation I get no fees (application or tuition), I get free lodging and also some money to help me live there during the elective. That is mainly why I would like to go through that route.

Another reason is that I am still completely perplexed on how to apply on my own.
Most places don't take international students. I have no idea how to go through an application.
Also the idea of paying an application fee and then not have any guarantee to get the elective (or so I've been told this can happen).
Finally I have no idea if I can play my citizenship to my advantage.
Bureaucracy is not my forte.

Places where you meet the requirement will most likely take you. I'd apply for more than once place though. Most places charge you the tuition only after acceptance but you have the app fees anyway. You won't need a visa which will make your life easier. There are several threads about the requirements and the available medical school.

Since you want to practice eventually in the US, I'd say it's worth investing some money as long as you think you'll be able to get into the specialty you desire. Also, you can take the CS exam while there. It's your call.

Thanks for the advice.

I still have no idea what specialty I want to go into. What I do know is that I do not want to go into surgery.
Do things change a lot from one specialty to another?

Do things change a lot from one specialty to another?
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

If you don't want to do surgery, then you are left with 2 categories of specialties; the competitive specialties like derm, rads, rad/onc and opthalmology, and the non-competitive specialties like IM, peds, psych, path and FP.

If your goal is to eventually do residency in the states, doing electives in a non-competitive specialty will make it very likely to match -- given you have good USMLE scores. If you want to go into a compaetitve residency, electives will help. However, bear in mind that in order to match you'll most likely need to do research in the US for like 2 years and still risking not to match.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I was mainly asking if there are some steep changes between the necessary requirements needed to apply for certain specialties, as opposed to other specialties?

Which are the very most competitive ones? Like top 5?

Any idea how difficult it is to get into either of: Cardiology, Endocrinology, Microbiology, Pulmonary Medicine and Psychiatry? Those are the ones I'm most interested in at the moment. This list can easily increase or decrease in the near future.

I was mainly asking if there are some steep changes between the necessary requirements needed to apply for certain specialties, as opposed to other specialties?

All residencies have the same requirements, however, how they use them to filter your application is very program specific.

Which are the very most competitive ones? Like top 5?

The most competitive residencies in the US are Integrated Plastic Surgery, Dermatology, and Radiation Oncology; everything else is less competitive.

Any idea how difficult it is to get into either of: Cardiology

This is a fellowship done AFTER completion of an Internal Medicine residency. Very competitive at most places.

, Endocrinology,

Another fellowship after IM or Peds residency. Not competitive.

Microbiology,

Not a US residency. You probably mean Infectious Disease. Again, a fellowship completed after finishing Internal Medicine. Not very competitive.

Pulmonary Medicine

Also a fellowship after Internal Medicine. Somewhat competitive.

and Psychiatry?

Not competitive except at the most Top Tier programs. Bastion of the FMG/IMG at many programs.

Sounds like you need to do an IM residency since most of your interests are fellowships completed after IM.

Thanks for the information.

That was very useful. Yeah, I believe IM is the way I should go.

I'm still in 3rd year but I guess it is important to start getting informed.

So an IM recidency is not very competitive or is it?

Thanks for the help.

I have lately been very encouraged to think about ophthalmology too. My uncle is an ophthalmologist and when I fully qualify he would be just about to retire. I still need to think on this.

Today I met a professor from the Mayo Clinic. He gave a very interesting talk and after I managed to talk to him for 5 minutes. He said as a US citizen it might be slightly more easy to get through and that I should not give up. He also gave me his email but however did not in any way suggest he was willing to have me on an elective within his dept.
Trying to move from here now.

Thanks for the help.

I have lately been very encouraged to think about ophthalmology too. My uncle is an ophthalmologist and when I fully qualify he would be just about to retire. I still need to think on this.

Ophtho is very competitive in the US. Not saying you can't match into it, and it sounds nice to have a practice to take over, but it will be difficult at best.

Look here for more information about factors important in matching: http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

Today I met a professor from the Mayo Clinic. He gave a very interesting talk and after I managed to talk to him for 5 minutes. He said as a US citizen it might be slightly more easy to get through and that I should not give up. He also gave me his email but however did not in any way suggest he was willing to have me on an elective within his dept.
Trying to move from here now.

Keep all the contacts you can get. If you don't need a visa it opens up a lot of programs who won't sponsor them for IMGs/FMGs.

Thank you for the very useful link and for the very helpful advice.

All this advice is priceless.

Hi .....
i did not do clerkships yet at my school....so what are my chances to get an elective??
must I wait til i finish all my clerkships?

Hi .....
i did not do clerkships yet at my school....so what are my chances to get an elective??
must I wait til i finish all my clerkships?

Almost all places will want you to be in your final year (aka you've done some of your clerkships) in order to get your elective. Even better would be to do your clerkship rotation in your school before doing your elective.

Remember the biggest point is to impress your attendings in order to get a good Letter of Recommendation. Its going to be much easier to impress your attending if you have already done your core rotation before doing your elective.