Election Day Apathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

297point1

Breaking kayfabe
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's election day today- and I am so disgusted with the state of affairs that I am seriously considering staying away from the ballot box.

Democrat. Republican. Libertarian. Green. If one party doesn't control both houses of the legislature and Presidency (or Governorship), does it even matter anymore? Nothing but gridlock and attack ads.

Someone please tell me I am wrong. The polls will be closing soon, and I've never not voted. It feels so un-American. But right now I...just...don't...care.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get my address changed in time for my polling location, so I'm not making the 3 hour trip. Remember, that "every vote counts" thing is all BS. Nothing wins by 1 vote, and if it was that close, it would be a hyper-controversial media battle anyway.

I had a compelling ballot initiative that would have had serious financial repercussions for hospitals/my employer so I was a little more aggressive in campaigning on its behalf.

(California proposition 46, less so 45)

And a drought related measure I was interested in.

Otherwise I would have been tempted to just not vote

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't voted on state or national level for god knows how long. One vote against millions of ignoramus sheeps that vote for what each politician promised them. I want a system where the candidates are evaluated and held accountable by similarly intelligent peers based on credentials and merits. I want leaderships that can make the right decisions for the nation's long term survival despite the ignorance of the masses.

Last edited:
There's an interesting op-Ed piece in the Times that talks about how voter apathy serves as a reservoir of votes that acts as a counterbalance to extreme partisan politics.

Remember, that "every vote counts" thing is all BS.
This is the sole reason why I have never voted in my life.
Except voter turnout is usually less than 60% of the eligible population of a state. With some states having a turnout as low as 35%. This is probably because all of these people feel their vote doesn't count. If all the non-voters turned out for the election, the result could be DRASTICALLY different. In many cases, it would be enough to elect an underdog, 3rd party, or independent candidate.

I haven't voted on state or national level for god knows how long. One vote against millions of ignoramus sheeps that vote for what each politician promised them. I want a system where the candidates are evaluated and held accountable by similarly intelligent peers based on credentials and merits. I want leaderships that can make the right decisions for the nation's long term survival despite the ignorance of the masses.

So, not a democratic republic? I doubt that our system of government is going to change that much any time soon. If you are not the ignorant masses, then you especially should go vote because you could help direct the election in a better direction. By not voting, you are resigning the election to those that do.

So, not a democratic republic? I doubt that our system of government is going to change that much any time soon. If you are not the ignorant masses, then you especially should go vote because you could help direct the election in a better direction. By not voting, you are resigning the election to those that do.

the intelligentcia will always be a tiny minority compared to the masses. only 25% of the population over age of 25 finished college. Trying to out vote the masses is a doomed strategy.

I dont particularly care for a democratic republic as a result. Singapore has a meritocracy based parliamentary government that places emphasis on academic credentials and objective measures of merit, which i find more enlightened. As a result, it is one of the wealthiest, orderly, safe, and least corrupt country in the world.

Last edited:
the intelligentcia will always be a tiny minority compared to the masses. only 25% of the population over age of 25 finished college. Trying to out vote the masses is a doomed strategy.

I dont particularly care for a democratic republic as a result. Singapore has a meritocracy based parliamentary government that places emphasis on academic credentials and objective measures of merit, which i find more enlightened. As a result, it is one of the wealthiest, orderly, safe, and least corrupt country in the world.

Singapore is 1/6th the size of California and functionally only half a century old.

Not exactly the most applicable system you can port over to a country with the size, diversity, and history of the U.S.

Plus, if you take away the illusion of power from the masses, given the yawning gap between rich and poor, you'd breed a lot of discontent. It's the only reason we haven't had a revolution...people still believe it's one person = one vote AND they have a shot at bootstrapping themselves into being a billionaire.

Pharmacist Buddy Carter elected as a representative for Georgia.
wikipedia said:
Recently, a controversy has emerged regarding S.B. 408, a bill authored by Buddy Carter that increases reimbursement rates for pharmacies in Georgia. As he is the owner of three pharmacies which would see increased profits as a result of the proposed action, this is considered to be in violation of the ethical guidelines of the State Senate.
Hmm... I like this guy.

Members don't see this ad :)

Except that the entire premise of a democratic republic is that your vote is not more important than someone who didn't finish college. A college degree is not necessarily a measure of success or intelligence (see Bill Gates). Even then, the man who didn't even finish his GED who sells me my coffee in the morning has as much right to select his representative in government as I do.

I don't say this often, but disagreeing with that premise would be a good reason to emigrate out of the US (may I suggest Singapore).

Except that the entire premise of a democratic republic is that your vote is not more important than someone who didn't finish college. A college degree is not necessarily a measure of success or intelligence (see Bill Gates). Even then, the man who didn't even finish his GED who sells me my coffee in the morning has as much right to select his representative in government as I do.

I don't say this often, but disagreeing with that premise would be a good reason to emigrate out of the US (may I suggest Singapore).

I don't agree with that premise. College degree is not necessarily a measure of intelligence, but it has clearly been established, in general, brighter people tend to get more schooling, and the longer-schooled tend to be brighter. This correlation is a fact. If we want the best and brightest to lead this country, who are better at choose them? If your hospital is voting for a medical director, do you ask the kitchen staff to have the same vote as other doctors?

And I don't have to go anywhere. Both singapore and US allow citizens to disagree with how the country operates. To suggest those who disagree to emigrate is an attempt to stamp out dissent.

Last edited:
Singapore is 1/6th the size of California and functionally only half a century old.

Not exactly the most applicable system you can port over to a country with the size, diversity, and history of the U.S.

Plus, if you take away the illusion of power from the masses, given the yawning gap between rich and poor, you'd breed a lot of discontent. It's the only reason we haven't had a revolution...people still believe it's one person = one vote AND they have a shot at bootstrapping themselves into being a billionaire.

I didn't say we should just port it over. I know the differences in size. But there are plenty of meritocratic methods we might considering borrowing/modifying. For example, we can try to understand how they made a government that is much less corrupt than ours.

And I wouldn't underestimate the diversity of Singapore. It's much like US, with chinese as the majority instead of whites, with Malays and Indians as the 2 biggest minorities constituting roughly the same % as the blacks and hispanics here.

While I agree that there needs to be methods that pacify the masses, I think there are other ways to grant that other than allowing everyone the same voting power. As long as people believe the system is fair and not corrupt, they will hold the gap between the rich and poor to the differences in personal qualifications and merits. I'm not from singapore, but I would guess that's why their founding fathers instilled a meritocracy government based on verifiable academic qualifications and objective merits. This way the people can verify that the people who are in power indeed earned their place justly, and everyone who can demonstrate the same merits can rise to the top.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, most people vote on what they think the government will do for them...i.e they vote for their own interest.

Believe it or not, most people vote on what they think the government will do for them...i.e they vote for their own interest.

I know, and that's why I don't care for the current political system. It's just a giant popularity contest lacking in actual merits, like high school all over again. "Read my lips, no more taxes..." "If you like your insurance, you can keep it"....Sad.

What we need are leaders who can do what's right for the long term survival of the country without being afraid that an ignorant mob is going to vote them out of office. Whether someone is doing right economically, diplomatically, etc, should be judge by those who are qualified to make such judgment. Yes, leaders should be evaluated and held accountable, but to those who know enough to make an educated judgment.

I know, and that's why I don't care for the current political system. It's just a giant popularity contest lacking in actual merits, like high school all over again. "Read my lips, no more taxes..." "If you like your insurance, you can keep it"....Sad.

What we need are leaders who can do what's right for the long term survival of the country without being afraid that an ignorant mob is going to vote them out of office. Whether someone is doing right economically, diplomatically, etc, should be judge by those who are qualified to make such judgment. Yes, leaders should be evaluated and held accountable, but to those who know enough to make an educated judgment.
I disagree with you... If situation changes, politicians are allowed to change their policies as well... We want politicians to be flexible so they can make compromises and fix things when they are 'broken'. We don't want to have democrats/republicans to keep the SS, Medicare and the military complex the way they are now even if they contribute to 70% of federal spending.

I disagree with you... If situation changes, politicians are allowed to change their policies as well... We want politicians to be flexible so they can make compromises and fix things when they are 'broken'. We don't want to have democrats/republicans to keep the SS, Medicare and the military complex the way they are now even if they contribute to 70% of federal spending.

you are actually agreeing with me. I throw out the quotes as a demonstration of how easily and gullible the masses are. Any intelligent person would know those empty promises made are untenable. Intelligent people knows that the current federal income/spending is headed for disaster, yet the majority still vote for politicians who promises not tax raises or no welfare cuts. What we need is a political system that can do the right thing for the long run even if causes the masses some pain in the short term, not how to win popularity contests and get into lobbyist paid offices.

I don't even know who the candidates are....yea that's apathy.

Meh is how I felt about this election. I voted but I didn't really care about the outcome. Then again, when you're in residency, the outside world seems so distant :)

I don't even know who the candidates are....yea that's apathy.

I think I saw on the news only 20% of the state even knew that our governor was running for reelection.

That's probably the fault of the guy who ran against him, who got steamrolled...and the incumbent spent pretty much $0.

I actually voted, my family is probably the only one on my street that actually went to the polls.

Tbh, I share many of the same sentiments as other commenters and feel that elections and this american democracy is a load of bullcrap. I watched Lawrence Lessig's TED talk and agreed with pretty much all of it yet I still voted because I felt compelled to at least speak my voice by picking the lesser of 2 evils in the litter. Surprising was the reaction from the volunteers who were all senior citizens. When I walked in they were in shock, they thought I was a student, not a voter and when I left they begged me to come back next year, begged me! I was the only voter the whole time, parents were too when they went, no lines. The voter turnout wasn't 30%, it was more like 0.1% considering I live in a large town. I think me walking in brought more hope for change for the volunteers than any politician, they seemed a bit shell shocked.

All politics are local -- I had compelling local reasons to vote, we had no national races in California of importance. Only a handful of states this election cycle had compelling races that would determine the flip of the Senate.

I'm curious how many of you on this post are in those states? It's much easier to be apathetic when no big issue/race drives people to the polls (ie big senate race, recreational marijuana, etc...)

African Americans were sprayed with water hoses in the 60s fighting against voter discrimination, millions of women marched on DC to demand the right to vote, we amended our glorious Constitution to allow 18 year olds to vote, and we amended it to prevent poll taxes that discouraged poor Americans from voting. So what is the response to all of this history?

• So it's election day today- and I am so disgusted with the state of affairs that I am seriously considering staying away from the ballot box.
  • I'm not making the 3 hour trip
  • This is the sole reason why I have never voted in my life.
  • I haven't voted on state or national level for god knows how long.
  • I don't even know who the candidates are....yea that's apathy.
Shame on all of you!

Reactions: 1 users
African Americans were sprayed with water hoses in the 60s fighting against voter discrimination, millions of women marched on DC to demand the right to vote, we amended our glorious Constitution to allow 18 year olds to vote, and we amended it to prevent poll taxes that discouraged poor Americans from voting. So what is the response to all of this history?

• So it's election day today- and I am so disgusted with the state of affairs that I am seriously considering staying away from the ballot box.
Shame on all of you!

I don't agree with you often, but QFT on this post.

I had a freakin' ballot mailed to me, the only hurdle I had was that I don't have any stamps around so I had to drive around the corner (gasp) to drop it off.

Shame on all of you!

I feel no shame. I did make it to the polls on Tuesday- the ballot initiatives got me there. I held my nose when voting for the individuals seeking elected office, trying to select between the lesser of two evils. But let's suppose I did skip after all. You are telling me that I should be ashamed because I refused to choose between blue crap candidate and red crap candidate?

Nationally, voter turnout was the lowest for any election since 1942. It wasn't just me.

I voted, only once have a missed an election (it was a primary.) Being older and wiser, I now realize politicians are either 1) mostly liars or 2) the few who aren't lying won't actually be able to accomplish anything because the liars will keep them from accomplishing anything.

I always vote 3rd party or registered write-in, I don't care what 3rd party, anything that sends a vote against that status quo.

Don't write yourself in for laughs. Last year I voted for myself and accidentally got elected.

The law of unintended consequences! Just to be clear, I've never written myself......I write it good, experienced public servants, such as yourself.