Elective in Malaysia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I am a UK medical student who is trying to arrange an elective for april 2011/may 2011. HKL have offered me my rotations (a&e, O&G) but they dont offer any accommodation and I have no idea whats near and student friendly! (not too expensive!) Is HKL a good hospital in terms of experience, im a little confused with all these abbreviations, UMMC, HUKM and conflicting people telling me which will be the best hospital!

I would appreciate any help!

UMMC = University Malaya Medical Centre, previously known as University Hospital (located in Petaling Jaya)
HKL = Hospital Kuala Lumpur (located in the city)

I had a good experience with UMMC (see my previous posts) -- lots of international students, and you'll get a good experience (depending on how proactive you are). I am have heard there is onsite student accommodation if you are not too fussy. It shouldn't be expensive to rent a place in petaling jaya for a few weeks. This is Malaysia after all, and I'll happily be returning back for Christmas holidays once I finally graduate from Med School in 2 weeks :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am interested to study medicine and have choosen to do it in Malaysia. What medical schools in malaysia accept international students and teach in English? What is the standard of education and hospitals in Malaysia?

Also info accommodation information, fees and costs etc. is appreciated.

I am completing my year 12 from Melbourne, Australia.

Could anyone please provide suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am interested to study medicine and have choosen to do it in Malaysia. What medical schools in malaysia accept international students and teach in English? What is the standard of education and hospitals in Malaysia?

Thanks.

You might want to check out IMU (http://www.imu.edu.my) or Monash (they recently started their med program in Malaysia).

I can only speak about IMU -- PBL based, independent studying (don't expect to be spoon fed); we only had about 2 hours of lectures/day outside of labs/pbls/clinical coaching.

Most of us are doing pretty well (I'll be graduating soon, yah!). My friends have branched off from IMU and are completing the clinical phase all over the world (Jefferson, U Melbourne, U Edinburgh, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, I heard John Hopkins will be opening a campus in Malaysia soon as well, so that will be another reputable school to check out and consider.

Hi everyone, I'm a med student from UK, doing my elective in KL.

I'm UM at the moment to do my elective in Paediatrics at UM medical centre. I'm staying in the halls of residence, and do not like the accomodation, the toilets are on the floor, no flush, and the food is not very good. From reading all your posts I think there is a hotel right next to the hospital so I will ask to move there. :idea:

Thanks for all your posts, it's really helped me to not stress and to realise I can go find somewhere else!

I only got here yesterday, but if anyone has any questions about what it's like here, just ask and I'll tell you whatever I know :xf:

Hi

I'm from the UK and I have my elective arranged for HKL for april and they dont offer any accommodation so i was wondering since you been there what you recommend? my elective is literally straight after finals and so limited time to arrange something. I'm going with two other girls so really somewhere safe and not too expensive it what we are looking for (and of course not that bad to live in!)
I'd appreciate any tips about how to get the most out of the elective and malaysia!

Hi thanks for getting back to me

I have checked UMMC website and cant seem to find info on how to arrange an elective there so I think I will probably end up going to HKL. The two final years I'm going with have their rotations they want there too so it might be too much to rearrange. Its the accommodation that I have no clue to arrange. Would it be better to get there and find an apartment?

Thanks for any help.

Sorry I have no idea clearly how to use forums! The above message was to OMNIATLAS but if anyone has any tips on accommodation in malaysia it would be much appreciated!!

Hi everyone,

Firstly, let me warmly welcome everyone planning to do their electives in Malaysia. It is a beautiful country. :)

I am a [censored] year old student paramedic, and not a student doctor, thus I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes by posting here. Currently doing my paramedic studies at [censored], one of the very few universities in Malaysia that offers a paramedic course. Should graduate in a couple of years. :cool:

Anyway to cut the story short, I never realised so many students were having trouble. Can't comment much regarding which hospital is best etc, but should anyone need any help i.e. initial accommodations or transport from airport etc, do send me an email at [email protected] . I do have friends at various hospitals etc, but I don't promise anything.

My office, is near Tawakal Hospital, is less than a kilometre away from Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL) and not very far from both UKM Hospital (HUKM) and University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC). Just email me should you have any queries, and I'll do the best I can. Will be glad to give you my mobile phone number should you need it.

Hope to see you guys during my rotations at A&E and other deparments at various hospitals soon. :love:

Good luck everyone!

SeanConnery

p.s. I'll try to post useful email and contact numbers here. My apologies for the [censored] parts, its mostly so that my training at various hospitals would not be prejudiced by my somewhat honest future posts in this forum. Hope you guys understand.

Last edited:
Sorry I have no idea clearly how to use forums! The above message was to OMNIATLAS but if anyone has any tips on accommodation in malaysia it would be much appreciated!!

Hi,

I was wondering what happened to your elective. I am in pretty much the same situation as you, but for Sept 2011. What did you do about accommodation?

Yours,
leekee88

p.s. If anyone is doing A+E/general medicine in HKL around September-October, I'll see you there!

Hi,

I was wondering what happened to your elective. I am in pretty much the same situation as you, but for Sept 2011. What did you do about accommodation?

Yours,
leekee88

p.s. If anyone is doing A+E/general medicine in HKL around September-October, I'll see you there!
Hi Leekee

I've replied to you private message! I will try and help you as best as possible if i can.

hi every one..im a final year student...nd wana do electives at malaysia in june2011..just for 4 weeks nd now that ive come to know that University of Malaysiais the best option..i checked out its site bt didnt get anything related to electives or elective form..i wana to do general medicine or emergency medicine..can anyone please tell me how to get there...as i dun have any relative or frnd there in malaysia..i would b requiring accomodation too..nd it would b better if i get some hostel thing from hospital...thank you

Hey everyone
i really need your suggestions for electives placement in any of good hospital in malaysia
i am very interested in doing medical training there in dec 2011
plz tell me how to apply for electives & how much i will have to pay for electives?(in usd) is that according to the department i'd choose or according to the hospital?
Waiting for your suggestions
thanks

hey, i know its kinda too late for this now but if you stilll need any info about anything at all, do contact me... I am doing my clinical postings in several hospital around KL and might be able to help you if you need anything....

And regarding the payment, it is usually according to the hospital and most govermnent hospital will charge a minimal fee. THe most i've heard of is the IJN aka institut jantung negara or the national cardiac centre... and that only anout RM 10 a day. And if you need any info about application, do email me at [email protected]

And ive sort of started this blog to help med students help each other out planning medical electives, so do join in!

its [email protected]

h90

hi
i am a fourth year student and want to do an elective in UM , iv tried the sites above but i cannot find any application form for electives. can anyone please guide me on how to apply.
thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :)

Hello there!

I am a 4th year (of 5) medical student in Ireland, and I am going to be doing a 6 week elective in Penang, Malaysia this summer.

Has anyone got any experiences to share from electives over there?! What was it like as an English-speaking (or other foreign language) student? Cultural differences with staff or patients? Any other difficulties encountered while over there?

Thanks ;)

hi
i am a fourth year student and want to do an elective in UM , iv tried the sites above but i cannot find any application form for electives. can anyone please guide me on how to apply.
thank uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :)
Heya Samduhs,
I've just received my offer letter from UM for an elecive placement for A&E there in Oct. - Nov. this year.

The way to apply is to email the admin officer who will then send you an email back with the application forms. Now you might have to hassle them a bit as it can take even a few days to get your reply! once you fill in the application form, you need to email a scanned copy to the admin, and send the original along with a letter from your clinical director.

They say you need to organise the elective no less than 6 months in advance, but if you contact the admin they might let you get away with it.

here's the emails to contact:

Let me know if you need the application form and i can forward it to you :)

Good Luck!

Hi Nazia,

I did my elective at the Department of Anaesthesiology at UM in July 2005. I chose this place for three reasons: 1) I wanted to experience the health sector in a less-developed country; 2) I have family in Malaysia and wanted to visit them; and 3) I had heard about UM being a better place to do your elective as a foreign non-malay speaking student (IMU being a suitable alternative).

Soon after my arrival, I realised that the health sector in Kuala Lumpur isn't very different from most european countries. Apart from few differences, I found my elective in at UM to be quite similar to an elective in Denmark. However, the patients were different and suffered from different diseases than what we normally see in Denmark (Dengue-fever, Malaria, etc.).

Arrangements: I went to UM's medical faculty website: www.ummc.edu.my and read about how one gets to do an elective there. You can download their application form there. One word of advice: Do not expect them to answer on email! I must have written like 20 emails to them prior to my exceptance, but never got any replies!!! The way to go is calling them and talking to them. Malaysians lead a different lifestyle than we Europreans do, so be patient. Use the postal mail service to send the application. You can find more information on their website - student resources - overseas elective students. You need to talk to Puan Rosnani Aziz, a very nice lady but not as effective as one could hope for. :)

I was quite satisfied with my elective there. As goes for anywhere else, you get what you ask for. So be active and don't be afraid to ask. You'll meet some real nice docs who are very happy to teach you, and then you'll meet some arrogant a-holes who think they're all that.

There's a hostel just next to the hospital (about 1 min walk). You can find more about it on the same website. Not much to say about this hostel, it's okay.. I found it kinda boring though. But that doesn't matter because the elective was all worth it.

One more thing: You might find it difficult to find nice eating places close to UM. There's the hostel canteen which is just horrible! It's free food for students, but that didn't make me wanna eat there more than 2-3 times during my entire elective. Just outside the hostel there's a nice foodstall, but I got kinda tired eating there every day. So here's the thing: Walk towards the ER at UM-hospital and cross the road to find a small side road perpendicular to the main road. Walk about 200 meters ahead and you'll find a large large of south indian restaurants. Now that's what i call good food (esp. the first one in the row which is the only airconditioned restaurant - and really cheap).

Hope things work out for you, lemme know if you need more help.
Cheers.

r u still there singh ?

Hi

I'm Saudi (foreign) and i'm thinking of doing my elective (1 month )in kuala lumpur
I need your advice regarding best hospital for me
i'm thinking of derma , obgyne or pedia
English speaker :p .. looking for best hospital for elective and teaching

Hi,

Thanks.

All I can say is plenty of Malaysians leave the country to study medicine as most don't think the quality is as good.