Elective program Shanghai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxxhyl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a medical student from The Netherlands and I'm hoping to do a 10-week elective in Shanghai in june-aug 2016. I know Shanghai East Hospital has a foreign medical student elective program. Is there anyone who's already done this program? Please share your experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Im a medical student in china but not in shanghai specifically, Im sure a lot of the processes are quite similar to what Im going through however Im only starting my fifth year in September and started doing my observership last semester. If there are any questions you would like to ask i would be happy to help :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
Im a medical student in china but not in shanghai specifically, Im sure a lot of the processes are quite similar to what Im going through however Im only starting my fifth year in September and started doing my observership last semester. If there are any questions you would like to ask i would be happy to help :)

Thank you :)
I can choose one of the following departments: Internal Medicine, Surgery and Anesthesia. I heard most of the students choose surgery, but I'm not really the OR kind of person and I don't like orthopedics either. Do you have any advice?
I'd also like to know if medical students in China are allowed to do stuff (like IV insertion) or are they only allowed to watch "real" doctors doing those things?

I would also be interested in doing an elective in China. Ideally, I would be able to do it in Beijing. I'm studying medicine in Canada.

Hello,
I gathered some more details and experiences with the SEH: The internship is at the two locations of the Shanghai East Hospital (Both in Pudong) and open for students in all clinical semesters. It seems to be the largest program for international med-students in China to date in terms of student numbers. On request, shadowing is also allowed for Pre-med students or first-year medical-students, but this involves no hands-on at all. Unfortunately, due to legislation, only students attending any medical faculty outside of China are permitted (...as apparently China has limited mobility for students studying within the country). Students enrolled in any medschool not within China are allowed. Chinese nationals can attend without limitation, as long as they study outside of China.
Only speaking English seems to be completely fine to do any elective in Shanghai, some basic Chinese does help though.
The program claims to be accredited in almost all of the US, Canada and Europe - as teaching international med-students is going on for 10 years now and many med-schools have already had students attend, especially in Germany.
On the down side: You pay for placements. The current fee's involve an application fee of 950 RMB and a monthly program fee of 2300 RMB, which does not include housing. Application can be found online here.
The tutors in most departments are quite experienced attendings and expert doctors, together with Tongji Medical students. Hands-on is possible, but only after you showed sincere interest for a few days and asked for it (maybe even repeatingly). Such includes OR work, as stitching and assisting or wound debridement on ward. There are so many residents, that it sometimes takes a while to get to do real hands-on. Inserting IV-lines is only done by the nurses, but you may get to practice that if you explain that this would interest you nevertheless.
Shanghai has, besides the work, a nice recreational student life and, since I have always seen several international students present at any time, it can be fun to get to know fellow students and do things together.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I would also be interested in doing an elective in China. Ideally, I would be able to do it in Beijing. I'm studying medicine in Canada.
Hi,
Currently the Shanghai East Hospital is looking especially for Canadian medical students to foster connections to Canadian med schools - if an elective in Shanghai is an option and you are not completely set on Beijing...
Many greetings