Elective rotations for DO student interested in IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bays

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been looking but can't find any good threads on this topic:

I'm a 3rd year DO student hoping to do an IM residency in SE Michigan. Looking to set up some good elective rotations for the next year. Any recommendations on outstanding rotations, preferably in the area? They don't necessarily have to be IM subspecialties, but just rotations that will set me up for success in my intern year :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking about any fellowships or area of focus?

Open minded, but leaning towards general hospitalist work. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would stick with bigger hospital systems. Try DMC, Beaumont, Henry Ford, St. John. Try applying to Detroit electives through VSAS- there are a ton of interesting electives not typically offered elsewhere.

Some solid rotations I would recommend just based on stuff you'll most likely encounter/need: Derm, ICU, Neurology, ID, palliative care, radiology, anesthesiology maybe even pathology (some let you do hands-on things, partake in autopsy, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much. So many rotations to consider, so little time o_O

Someone told me anesthesia is a good one to try for people heading towards IM for practicing intubations. I'm going to try to squeeze in a 2-week anesthesia rotation myself.

I did Nephro and find kidneys so much less intimidating now. I strongly recommend it.

Anesthesia counts toward my requirement for surgery rotations, so I think that's a good pick for me too! Any chance you're familiar with a particularly good anesthesia rotation in the Detroit area? D.O.-wise I've heard good things about the St. John Oakland anesthesia rotation. It's a tiny community hospital but I guess the attendings are great with students and let you do a lot of intubations. I'm not sure how many intubations I'd actually do as an IM resident/attending... I suppose it varies from hospital to hospital. But a great skill to practice regardless.

Similarly, any particularly great Nephro rotations? That was on my short list too :)

Thanks!!