Electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Stressed13

What electives would you recommend for a 4th year medical student who would like to go into anesthesia? How many rotations (out of 10) would you recommend be done in anesthesia? Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

my school limits the amount of one type of rotation we can do...yours might too, you should check. if you can do unlimited anesthesiology rotations then i would set a few up for late summer/fall at places you think you might want to go. this is prime time for potential candidates to do rotations. take some time off or book easy rotations with cool preceptors that will give you loads of time off for interviews in dec and jan. you can do a sicu rotation if you still feel like working but trust me but senioritis will set in so plan a few cushy, laidback, thinking-optional rotations for the end of fourth year so you can recharge after boards, travel, interviews, etc and be ready to work your ass off as an intern.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you know you want to do anesthesia, 1/10. if you're not sure, 2/10. hang out in various ICUs if you like that. then spend the rest of the year doing fun things like EMS/life-flight ride along, the ever sought-after wilderness elective, and a month of ortho so you can answer all your family's "my ___ aches" questions

Don't do a ton of anesthesia. You'll do that the rest of your life. Do things you won't do again but will be useful:

Ortho sports medicine (your kid or your neighbor's kid will sprain an ankle and you'll be expected to know something about it)
Dermatology (what is this spot)
Things that sound interesting: Wilderness med, forensic path, etc
Primary care if you haven't done it

Even though my specialty is anesthesia, I'm still a physician and should know something about the questions my family and friends are going to ask.