Electron direction in battery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stitchattack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused on the direction of electron flow. My understanding is that it goes from Anode to Cathode (A-->C) in electrolytic and galvanic cells.

For battery is the electron being forced to go from cathode to anode? This is Pass 7 of AAMC 4 PS, specifically #44 but I would like to know in general for batteries or if this is just for this passage. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Electrons always flow from anode to cathode, no matter what type of electrochemical cell it is. Charge always flows in the reverse direction, from cathode to anode.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, not even AAMC. They have been known to make mistakes on the full lengths.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Electrons always flow from anode to cathode, no matter what type of electrochemical cell it is. Charge always flows in the reverse direction, from cathode to anode.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, not even AAMC. They have been known to make mistakes on the full lengths.

Basically, just go with electrons going Anode to Cathode and currents going Cathode to Anode..UNLESS it's stated otherwise in the passage. I think that'st he safest bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.