Electrophysiology Forum 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brugada guy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Application season is coming up. I thought it will be great to get your thoughts. I feel lost especially with EP becoming a 2 year fellowship. Please post comments on competitiveness, when do programs start accepting applications etc. Thanks everyone for your participation

Members don't see this ad.

You guys still wanna do EP after DANISH study, two year fellowships and no jobs

Anybody with any input on fellowship application please post your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess depends on what you're looking for? Overall EP - good breadth of everything, looking to specialize in specific arrhythmias? i.e. afibs vs vt's? I think prototypical EP powerhouses have been Michigan, UCSF, Upenn, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic (Rochester). I think the majority of the fellowships are not in the match and so you'll have to either go on their website or directly email their contact and figure out what they exactly want (painful I know).

I just got cardiology fellowship and interested in EP as has done clinical research in EP and would love doing EP procedures. I will apply in 2018 for 2020 position. Any specific recommendations you have for application. Can I do EP at my first choice or is it like general cardiology, way too competitive. Thank you.

You guys still wanna do EP after DANISH study, two year fellowships and no jobs
Yes still do as DANISH only looked into subset of cardiomyopathy (NICM) and outcomes of ICD implant. There are exciting new times in EP especially leadless pacemakers and ICDs and of course CRT and arrhythmia ablations are not going anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Been a while since anyone posted, anyone care to share their experiences with the application cycle?

Also, since EP is now 2 years does anyone care to explain why this change came about? (Besides, the "fellows need more training" excuse given by accrediting organizations.)

Can't say why ACGME decided to officially make ep a 2 year fellowship. I can only offer my experience of why I chose a 2 year program. I applied when ep was still only a 1 year accredited fellowship with some places offering 2 years, and chose to do 2 years. Foremost, not all 2 year programs are equal, i.e. some are 2 years clinical, some are 1 year clinical 1 year research or 1 1/2 year clinical 6 months research, etc. For me, I felt trying to learn all ep procedures and become proficient at the end of your training within 1 year was pushing it. This is especially true if you had no ep experience at all from your general fellowship, i.e. no device implant experience, no diagnostic EP study experience.

I would say you could probably do 1 year ep fellowship and be alright if you knew ahead of time you were not going to pursue doing certain procedures i.e. scar-based VT's, epicardial VT's, lead extractions, etc and only confined yourself to afibs, svt's, devices. I chose to do 2 years to try and learn everything. Will I be doing epicardial VT's in practice? Probably not, but I felt I needed to learn the experience.

I hear this year not all programs are in the match, but I think from '19 onwards, all programs are supposed to be in the match system.

Can't say why ACGME decided to officially make ep a 2 year fellowship. I can only offer my experience of why I chose a 2 year program. I applied when ep was still only a 1 year accredited fellowship with some places offering 2 years, and chose to do 2 years. Foremost, not all 2 year programs are equal, i.e. some are 2 years clinical, some are 1 year clinical 1 year research or 1 1/2 year clinical 6 months research, etc. For me, I felt trying to learn all ep procedures and become proficient at the end of your training within 1 year was pushing it. This is especially true if you had no ep experience at all from your general fellowship, i.e. no device implant experience, no diagnostic EP study experience.

I would say you could probably do 1 year ep fellowship and be alright if you knew ahead of time you were not going to pursue doing certain procedures i.e. scar-based VT's, epicardial VT's, lead extractions, etc and only confined yourself to afibs, svt's, devices. I chose to do 2 years to try and learn everything. Will I be doing epicardial VT's in practice? Probably not, but I felt I needed to learn the experience.

I hear this year not all programs are in the match, but I think from '19 onwards, all programs are supposed to be in the match system.

Man. Props to you guys. You guys have to do a 2yr fellowship after a 3yr fellowship. Medical specialties these days delay income So long. I hope most you peeps go into private practice instead of academics and make bank, you need to finally be rewarded after that many yrs.

This.

I'm just about to start my 2yr EP fellowship and the field has matured with many advanced procedures that IMHO would be a stretch to get a decent comfort level with after just 1 year. I guess the other argument would be to keep at 1 year for "basics" like device implants, more simple ablutions, EP studies, etc.. and then an additional year for the more advanced ablations and/or extractions.

I got a decent amount of exposure/experience to basic SVT/afib ablations and device implants during my general fellowship but our guys didn't do epicardial ablations or complex VT work.

I agree though, 8 years total is daunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk