eligibility to take USMLE STEP 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiderwebs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in an MBBS program in India. During "First professional," which lasts 1 year, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology are taught. During "Second Professional", which lasts 1.5 years, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Forensic Medicine are taught. My question is, whether I would still be eligible to take the USMLE after completing 2 years of medical school or would I have to wait until I have completed 2.5 years?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in an MBBS program in India. During "First professional," which lasts 1 year, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology are taught. During "Second Professional", which lasts 1.5 years, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Forensic Medicine are taught. My question is, whether I would still be eligible to take the USMLE after completing 2 years of medical school or would I have to wait until I have completed 2.5 years?

You can only take it after you have finished preclinical study so for you that would be 2.5 years.

Any answer from here would be individual interpretations.
Why don't u e-mail ECFMG???

Any answer from here would be individual interpretations.
Why don't u e-mail ECFMG???

It says quite clearly on their site that you have to have finished your preclinical studies before you are eligible. The form you have to get your med school to sign says it again. You can apply a bit before but you have to have completed preclinicals before the 3 start of the 3 month eligibility period you pick.