This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s_dee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just got accepted to the Elms College Post- Bacc program and wanted to start a thread for anyone who has questions, is joining the program in Spring 2017, or who can give advice on the program and Elms.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently a senior at Elms College and am very familiar with the Post Bacc program there. I'd be happy to answer any questions people might have.

Hi! So I'm applying here and I was wondering if there's any program that helps you get into med school after? How hard are the classes? Class size? And how do you like it there? What stats did you apply with? (Sorry for so many questions!) I would appreciate any feedback, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! So I'm applying here and I was wondering if there's any program that helps you get into med school after? How hard are the classes? Class size? And how do you like it there? What stats did you apply with? (Sorry for so many questions!) I would appreciate any feedback, thank you!

I think last year 50+ people were in the post bac program. Class sizes are usually no more than 35 per section. Not particularly difficult classes, but you definitely have to do your work efficiently and know the material well in order to get good grades.

Personally, I've loved the environment and support from faculty at elms.

I think last year 50+ people were in the post bac program. Class sizes are usually no more than 35 per section. Not particularly difficult classes, but you definitely have to do your work efficiently and know the material well in order to get good grades.

Personally, I've loved the environment and support from faculty at elms.
That's awesome. Have you applied to med schools? How tough is it? Are the pre-med advisors helpful?

That's awesome. Have you applied to med schools? How tough is it? Are the pre-med advisors helpful?

I personally loved the premed adviser there. She's wonderful. I applied and was accepted to UMass med, which was my top pick

Ooh! Awesome, congratulations!! This definitely helps in my decision to apply here. Thanks :)

Does anyone know of a Facebook group for the incoming class? I would like to ask people questions about the program and living situations.

Does anyone know of a Facebook group for the incoming class? I would like to ask people questions about the program and living situations.

I don't think there is a facebook group. I'd suggest emailing Dr. Williams ([email protected]). She can answer questions about living situations and possibly get you in touch with other students if you're looking for roommates.

If you have general questions about Chicopee, I can answer those because I've lived here all my life.

I don't think there is a facebook group. I'd suggest emailing Dr. Williams ([email protected]). She can answer questions about living situations and possibly get you in touch with other students if you're looking for roommates.

If you have general questions about Chicopee, I can answer those because I've lived here all my life.
How did you like the program? Was it successful?

How did you like the program? Was it successful?

I haven't done the post-bacc program. I have done all of my undergrad at Elms and taken the same exact classes that the post-bacc program involves though.

Elms has some really incredible instructors and also some ones that are just alright. You really get out of it what you put into it. If you come with a strong desire to learn, you will have no problem doing well in the classes, and I found that they prepared me very well for the MCAT and medical school. I really like Elms because of its small campus and small class sizes. You really get to know the instructors well and I found that to be an invaluable part of my education and application process.

I haven't done the post-bacc program. I have done all of my undergrad at Elms and taken the same exact classes that the post-bacc program involves though.

Elms has some really incredible instructors and also some ones that are just alright. You really get out of it what you put into it. If you come with a strong desire to learn, you will have no problem doing well in the classes, and I found that they prepared me very well for the MCAT and medical school. I really like Elms because of its small campus and small class sizes. You really get to know the instructors well and I found that to be an invaluable part of my education and application process.

Do you know anyone who has done the program, that i could speak with? I am attending Elms this fall and just wanted some insight from somone who has completeed the program or is in the program.

Regards,
Siddhi Patodia

you could always make one, and post the link here for people to join. I just got accepted, and I'd love to interact with people who also got in. Plus, would love to look for roomates for around there. Would be a big move for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
you could always make one, and post the link here for people to join. I just got accepted, and I'd love to interact with people who also got in. Plus, would love to look for roomates for around there. Would be a big move for me.

I will be attending in the fall and am also looking for a room mate! This will be a big move for me as well, given that I am from Texas.

How is the Elms College program compared to others like Duquesne and Meredith College? Anybody have any insight in regards to other similar GPA enhancement programs as well?

Thanks.

How is this program compared to California Northstate, Duquesne Uni. and Meredith college programs? Thanks.

Hi guys,
I was originally accepted to Elms, for fall of 2016, but deferred my registration. I will be starting in the fall of 2017, and was wondering almost the same things. Is it a good program, but also the location, is it in a good location? I have done some research, by just googling Chicopee Police, Ma and found some not so great stories of murder and theft and other violent crimes. Is there anything I should worry about? Also, diversity seems to be very low in the area, is that a concern that I should keep in mind?

Hi guys,
I was originally accepted to Elms, for fall of 2016, but deferred my registration. I will be starting in the fall of 2017, and was wondering almost the same things. Is it a good program, but also the location, is it in a good location? I have done some research, by just googling Chicopee Police, Ma and found some not so great stories of murder and theft and other violent crimes. Is there anything I should worry about? Also, diversity seems to be very low in the area, is that a concern that I should keep in mind?

Elms is basically on the Chicopee/Springfield border, so the demographics you're looking at are probably for Chicopee and exclude Springfield. There is actually a pretty large amount of diversity (though not as much among the Elms staff as I'd like). Most of the diversity is from black and Peurto Rican populations in the area. The area isn't the most ideal in the world, but if you have a car, it's very convenient. Everything you need is within a 5-10 mile drive, and then there are a lot of places for fun activities (Hiking, Northhampton Mass, Hartford CT, Boston, etc.) that are all driving distance.

I lived in the Chicopee area my entire life and never had any problems. It's a relatively safe area. Holyoke & downtown Springfield at night aren't the safest, but it's no more dangerous than other cities. Chicopee & the area around the Elms campus is very safe.

Elms is basically on the Chicopee/Springfield border, so the demographics you're looking at are probably for Chicopee and exclude Springfield. There is actually a pretty large amount of diversity (though not as much among the Elms staff as I'd like). Most of the diversity is from black and Peurto Rican populations in the area. The area isn't the most ideal in the world, but if you have a car, it's very convenient. Everything you need is within a 5-10 mile drive, and then there are a lot of places for fun activities (Hiking, Northhampton Mass, Hartford CT, Boston, etc.) that are all driving distance.

I lived in the Chicopee area my entire life and never had any problems. It's a relatively safe area. Holyoke & downtown Springfield at night aren't the safest, but it's no more dangerous than other cities. Chicopee & the area around the Elms campus is very safe.

Ok great thanks! I'm neither black nor PR, but good to hear there is diversity.

I was accepted to Elms and I just had a few things I am worried about. I feel like the acceptance rate is very high and it was a little of a concern. I want to get into a medical school and I am just hoping that the schools will not look at where I went for my Post Bac and just ignore me completely. I also know the program is a little new and does not really have much in the way of statistics and that is something I wish I had available for a program as important to my future as this. I applied to multiple programs and unfortunately was declined to most and am still waiting to hear from SFSU. If I do not get into SFSU I am debating going to Elms or staying here in California to take CC classes and improve my GPA and apply again next year. I am happy I got in, however I am just concerned that even if I got a 4.0 while attending there, med schools would dismiss my application due to the school. If anyone can help alleviate my concerns it would be much appreciated.

Drew Brown

I was accepted to Elms and I just had a few things I am worried about. I feel like the acceptance rate is very high and it was a little of a concern. I want to get into a medical school and I am just hoping that the schools will not look at where I went for my Post Bac and just ignore me completely. I also know the program is a little new and does not really have much in the way of statistics and that is something I wish I had available for a program as important to my future as this. I applied to multiple programs and unfortunately was declined to most and am still waiting to hear from SFSU. If I do not get into SFSU I am debating going to Elms or staying here in California to take CC classes and improve my GPA and apply again next year. I am happy I got in, however I am just concerned that even if I got a 4.0 while attending there, med schools would dismiss my application due to the school. If anyone can help alleviate my concerns it would be much appreciated.

Drew Brown

I did Elms for my undergrad and maintained good GPA. Ended up at interviews with people from Ivy's. Didn't seem to impact me at all.

I did Elms for my undergrad and maintained good GPA. Ended up at interviews with people from Ivy's. Didn't seem to impact me at all.
For medical undergrad? And what schools you get accepted to?

For medical undergrad? And what schools you get accepted to?

I applied to very few. Got accepted to UMass Medical on full tuition. Interview invites at BU, Tufts & Saint Louis University. Only applied to 10 schools, most of them were reaches.

Hey! I'm wondering if there's a linkage agreement between the Elms post bac pre-med program and LECOM-DO. I notice that there's a tab- Affiliations, Linkages, Agreements- on the website, but I'm unaware as what is entailed as there is barely any information. I've also tried contacting the college, but I haven't heard back. Also, what classes are part of the curriculum exactly? Thanks in advance!

@Katniss96 Hey, I currently go to Elms. There is in fact a linkage program. You get an auto interview which I am told is good. I want to focus on more allopathic medical schools however and there is no link there. Hope that helps.

I got accepted for the post bacc program today and I wanted to know if the program is going to help me get into dental school. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank You.

I got accepted for the post bacc program today and I wanted to know if the program is going to help me get into dental school. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank You.

My housemate is going to be applying to Dental school this rotation and he is in the program. The program can help but in the end it is up to you. In reality I believe you need a 4.0 to have a shot essentially at this point (if you are trying to boost your GPA) and it is not easy. The head of the program, Dr. Janet Williams, very good. She is super nice and willing to help a lot, but she has no time for B.S. She has been doing this a while and she can tell if you are trying or not. If you put in effort and try she will support and help you. If you try to take the easy way, you may get a rude awakening. One of my friends in the program just got accepted to pharmacy school so he is super happy. We have a lot of people who are going to be applying to medical school this cycle and I can try to update people on what happens. There are also a lot of hospitals in the area, so getting clinical hours is relatively easy.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Drew Brown

did you end up going to the school? If so, how do you like it?

My housemate is going to be applying to Dental school this rotation and he is in the program. The program can help but in the end it is up to you. In reality I believe you need a 4.0 to have a shot essentially at this point (if you are trying to boost your GPA) and it is not easy. The head of the program, Dr. Janet Williams, very good. She is super nice and willing to help a lot, but she has no time for B.S. She has been doing this a while and she can tell if you are trying or not. If you put in effort and try she will support and help you. If you try to take the easy way, you may get a rude awakening. One of my friends in the program just got accepted to pharmacy school so he is super happy. We have a lot of people who are going to be applying to medical school this cycle and I can try to update people on what happens. There are also a lot of hospitals in the area, so getting clinical hours is relatively easy.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Hey,

Do you know of anyone going to elms post bacc with an intent to increase their GPA? if so, were they success with getting into medical school?

Thanks

Hey,

Do you know of anyone going to elms post bacc with an intent to increase their GPA? if so, were they success with getting into medical school?

Thanks

Hey, I know a few, they are applying right now and I will know shortly. But I do know that 5 so far have made it (according to Dr. Williams the one in charge). My friend did a grade improvement and got 9 secondaries. I have a few friends holding off until the next cycle as well as they want to improve their application mainly on clinical and volunteer hours.