eLORs--who exactly can they come from??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm gonna disagree with you and DVMD... and agree with pink puppy....

What is permitted and what is ethical are 2 different issues.....

1) we all sort of agree that having some fill out your application is permitted.

2) whether that is ethical or not, is a matter of personal belief. I personally think if someone else wrote your PS and filled out an application for another person that would be unethical. Permissible, but not of a high personal standard. TO ME, there is an implication that what you write on an application is your words, and I doubt an adcom would be too impressed to find out otherwise. I might be wrong, and I may be holding others to a high standard, but that is my opinion.

Still, doesn't mean people can't do it, I just wouldn't respect the ethics of someone who did.

Now, having people help with rewrites or word choice or whatever, is a different matter and I find that ethically fine.

Technically, nobody disagreed that it wasn't the best way to do the application. Nobody stated that having someone fill out the application for you is the way to go about it. However, you can't force your own beliefs onto others. That is what LIS and I were saying. So whether I agree or not that having someone fill out the application for you either 100% of the way or only 20% of the way is ethical or unethical is irrelevant. What matters is what the VMCAS states, which is only that you agree that all information provided in the application is true and honest. If you want Ben Smith to fill out everything on VMCAS for you, then knock yourself out. Would you or I do that? No. But that doesn't make it "unethical" or "wrong" for someone else to, as long as that information that Ben Smith is typing out for Jane Doe is 100% accurate and Jane Doe signs off that it is, no one has done anything "wrong".

It goes to what LIS and I both said. What you feel as ethical to you doesn't make a difference. What I think is ethical to me doesn't make a difference. All that matters is that the applicant has provided information on the application that is accurate, doesn't matter if aliens put the information in there it only needs to be accurate and whether you, me, LIS or pinkpuppy agree or disagree with how that information was input into the application makes no damn difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Technically, nobody disagreed that it wasn't the best way to do the application. Nobody stated that having someone fill out the application for you is the way to go about it. However, you can't force your own beliefs onto others. That is what LIS and I were saying. So whether I agree or not that having someone fill out the application for you either 100% of the way or only 20% of the way is ethical or unethical is irrelevant. What matters is what the VMCAS states, which is only that you agree that all information provided in the application is true and honest. If you want Ben Smith to fill out everything on VMCAS for you, then knock yourself out. Would you or I do that? No. But that doesn't make it "unethical" or "wrong" for someone else to, as long as that information that Ben Smith is typing out for Jane Doe is 100% accurate and Jane Doe signs off that it is, no one has done anything "wrong".

It goes to what LIS and I both said. What you feel as ethical to you doesn't make a difference. What I think is ethical to me doesn't make a difference. All that matters is that the applicant has provided information on the application that is accurate, doesn't matter if aliens put the information in there it only needs to be accurate and whether you, me, LIS or pinkpuppy agree or disagree with how that information was input into the application makes no damn difference.
I think you should take an ethics class. You would be great to debate with the prof!
What is ethical matters to people who care about ethics, and some would argue is very important.

What is allowable and what is ethical are very different things.

And debating ethics is important to me because I feel too many people feel like just because it is allowable makes it ok. I don't agree.
So yes, it does matter what other people think, because encouraging ethical behavior is habit forming.

Now, you may not give a damn, and that is your opinion, and I respect that you disagree, but that won't stop me from discussing it either.

I guess it all depends on what you mean be "make a difference" though. None of this has anything to do with whether the OP is permitted to do it, or will affect their ap, only whether they "should" do it.

I made my points on the issue, I stand by them, and I'm not getting pulled into a necro-argument from February over something that SOV clearly just wants to be contrary about for the sake of being contrary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could really go for a slice of key lime pie, anyone in?

I never liked whipped cream for some reason. IHOP always puts it on my blueberry pancakes even when I tell them I don't want it. Usually someone else at the table takes the bullet for me though and adds it to their pancakes. :)

I hope the OP never changes her avatar picture... seeing it sparks a simultaneous grin and groan over what vehemence the post shall inspire for the rest of the thread :claps:

Reactions: 2 users
Did someone say whipped cream?
giphy.gif

So I definitely started reading this thread and was like, "This looks really familiar...." Then I got to my first response and saw the date and was like, "Oh. I have already read this. That's why the first post wasn't DVMD/LIS telling the OP to post this in the C/O 2020 thread."

All that matters is that the applicant has provided information on the application that is accurate, doesn't matter if aliens put the information in there it only needs to be accurate

Yep. Most of the VMCAS is just data entry. No matter who actually keys in the data, they still have to get the information from you. It's not like they're making it up on their own.

So I definitely started reading this thread and was like, "This looks really familiar...." Then I got to my first response and saw the date and was like, "Oh. I have already read this. That's why the first post wasn't DVMD/LIS telling the OP to post this in the C/O 2020 thread."

She actually did post yet another thread that was her most recent post you see in this thread. But the threads were merged by our amazing moderator. :)