EM after Family medicine residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnny_blaze

And my name is hawkeye
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do a fellowship after a residency in family medicine in Ontario? If I decided to go into EM as a IMG from the U.K would this not be much easier pathway than going for a residency in EM (due to competitiveness)?

Are there any differences between the two (i.e. Job opportunities)?

Members don't see this ad.

johnny_blaze said:
"Give me at least ONE nurse who knows how to work in close without getting her tits in my way!"
Damn, I'm in the wrong hospital

johnny_blaze said:
Is it possible to do a fellowship after a residency in family medicine in Ontario? If I decided to go into EM as a IMG from the U.K would this not be much easier pathway than going for a residency in EM (due to competitiveness)?

Are there any differences between the two (i.e. Job opportunities)?

Yeah, there is such thing as a 1-year EM specialization after an FM residency, but about the only place that will hire you is some hospital out in the sticks (which might be OK, if you're fine with that). If you want to be in a level 1 trauma centre in an urban area like Toronto or Vancouver, you're probably going to have to do the 5-year residency in EM so that you are board-certified in Canadian EM.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's out in the Styx...as in the River Styx in Hades.

But who really cares.

While it's easy to get into family medicine, the competition for the on year fellowships is pretty fierce. So while it may be easier for the first step, it may be more difficult to actually get the fellowship than you think.

After finishing the family medicine/EM route, you could probably get a job in a smaller community hosptial in a big city but you wouldn't likely get a job in a trauma center. You would need to do the royal college program for that (5 years).

leviathan said:
Yeah, there is such thing as a 1-year EM specialization after an FM residency, but about the only place that will hire you is some hospital out in the sticks (which might be OK, if you're fine with that). If you want to be in a level 1 trauma centre in an urban area like Toronto or Vancouver, you're probably going to have to do the 5-year residency in EM so that you are board-certified in Canadian EM.

At some of the hospitals in the McGill system (St Mary's, for example) as well as the Jewish General, FP/EM docs can work the ED, just not trauma and level 1. If you don't mind fast-track, you can work in the city.