EM after FM? is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ActionFigure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing an FM residency but am thinking about doing an EM residency afterwards. Is this feasible or not very likely? Anyone know of anyone else who did something similar? I'm really into critical care and acute stabilization of patients and working with my hands. Not a fan of managing chronic conditions. Which is why I also love when I get those acute clinic visits, not so much of the follow up or q 3 monthly visits.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of people go IM->EM. Why not FM.

I'm in a program with a resident who completed FM training and is now in EM who is happy with his decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen this FM -> EM transition happen as well, and the fellah that I know is pretty damn happy.

Also consider the EM fellowships for FM trained physicians. I know there are very few, and they may not be what you're looking for, but take a look.

Do you get any rotation credits if you've already completed a residency or is it dependent on the program/PD?

There are alot of FM docs who work in smaller EDs. if you want to get boarded and make more money, you need to be EM boarded.

But if you don't mind working EM in smaller communities, you would not even need EM

How would you get funded for the 2nd residency?

The same way everyone gets funded for fellowships. The funding isn't 0 for 2nd residencies or for years "beyond the clock". It's closer to 75%. It's an issue for some applicants and programs, but not all.

Second residencies are not unfunded, this is a common misconception. Residency training that goes beyond your initial allotment is funded at a reduced rate but it's still something like 75% of the normal rate. Funding is composed of funds for institutional costs and then the direct costs of paying you your salary and benefits. Training beyond your initial allotment (the number of years the initial program you match into takes to complete) sees a reduction in the funds meant to pay you your salary and fees. The problem with second residencies isn't that there is no funding but that there is a line of people behind you who come with full funding....

With the EM "fellowship" for FM - it is not an offically recognized fellowship and does not come with any boards. In large cities/trauma hospitals - they still will not hire you, as they wanted EM boarded physicians.

With or without EM fellowship FM physicians can work at rural and suburban ER's.

Also consider the EM fellowships for FM trained physicians. I know there are very few, and they may not be what you're looking for, but take a look.

Be careful with those, as many do not lead to board eligibility. Many FM's practice emergency medicine, mostly rural areas. I have seen one paper that states as many as 40% of ED's in this country rely on FP's do operate. In fact, many of the founders of EM as a specialty were family docs. While education for education's sake is certainly noble, if it does not lead to board certification then I would save my time and effort.

I see no point in doing a EM felloship. Our group would not hire an FM with EM fellowhips. I believe our bylaws and also the hospital bylaws states that you have to be EM boarded.

Either go back and do an EM residency if you want to do everything, or work in rural ED's.

I'm currently doing an FM residency but am thinking about doing an EM residency afterwards. Is this feasible or not very likely? Anyone know of anyone else who did something similar? I'm really into critical care and acute stabilization of patients and working with my hands. Not a fan of managing chronic conditions. Which is why I also love when I get those acute clinic visits, not so much of the follow up or q 3 monthly visits.

Aren't you a PGY2? First, figure out what you don't like about FM and try to define it before you go gung ho and jump ship. If you like sick patients, why not be a hospitalist after residency and avoid clinic altogether?

Personally, I don't know anyone who went FM to EM. I have one friend who was very motivated to do an EM fellowship after FM and still bailed at the last minute. You have a lot of fellowship options after you finish your FM residency. I suppose my main question should be.... if you like acute pt's and using your hands so much... why did you pick FM in the first place? Why not surgery? I've seen a post from you discussing even Path??? Is it the money you're worried about? You'll do just fine with FM and the pay is likely to increase from here on forward with the primary care specialties.