EM and EM/IM/CC applying etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
As we all get ready to submit, I had a quick question.
I'm applying to EM programs primarily but am also planning on applying to the combo EM/IM/CC programs.
I ultimately plan to do a CC fellowship if I just go EM.
My question comes down to the 4 combo programs. should I also apply to their EM only programs as well or would it look weird to have my app in two pools that are so closely related?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you do EM/IM/CC do they have one combined board exam or do you end up having the take and continuously recert for three boards?

OP - We have many applicants that apply for both.

To answer Birdstrike's question, they sit for all three. There's no combined exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
At our program people routinely apply for EM and EM/IM

Reactions: 1 user
OP - We have many applicants that apply for both.

To answer Birdstrike's question, they sit for all three. There's no combined exam.
3?

I do two and it's more than enough board exams.

Hey guys,
As we all get ready to submit, I had a quick question.
I'm applying to EM programs primarily but am also planning on applying to the combo EM/IM/CC programs.
I ultimately plan to do a CC fellowship if I just go EM.
My question comes down to the 4 combo programs. should I also apply to their EM only programs as well or would it look weird to have my app in two pools that are so closely related?

Thoughts?

Yes. It's an extra program you can rank. You basically get a 2 for 1 interview. Most of them will rank you for both EM and EM/IM anyway. They don't look down on you for ranking both.

I matched at a program in EM that I had picked to interview at because of their EM/IM. Turns out I liked their categorical better, ranked it higher, and ended up there.

3?

I do two and it's more than enough board exams.

The upside in IM/CCM is that, although you need to be IM boarded to sit for CCM boards, you don't have to maintain your IM boards to maintain the subspecialty. So you can take it once and call it a day if you're so inclined.

2 boards. A clue into the life of birdstrike!
He has said innumerable times that he did an EM fellowship. No new information. I, for one, know for sure that he is diving old folks with decubiti, enjoying the real meat of hyperbarics with wound care!

(I have no actual idea.)

He has said innumerable times that he did an EM fellowship. No new information. I, for one, know for sure that he is diving old folks with decubiti, enjoying the real meat of hyperbarics with wound care!

(I have no actual idea.)
Wasn't that a line from Apocalypse Now?

"I love the smell of decubiti in the morning"- Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

Or was it napalm? Lol

Reactions: 1 users