EM and toxicology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegangirl

DOctor begins with DO
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

i was interested in EM/toxicology. can anybody here tell me about the program and what it entails????

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

vegangirl said:
Hello All,

i was interested in EM/toxicology. can anybody here tell me about the program and what it entails????

Cheers.

The quick answer is that you first do a residency (in your stated case) in EM or in Prev. Med, or Peds. After that you enter a two year ACGME accredited (if you are interested in board certified medical toxicology) or a one year self designed (and non-accredited) toxicology fellowship. Of late there have been decent fellowships that have gone unfilled, but don't let that lull you into a sense that they are easy to get into. Most would rather be unfilled than filled what they might consider less qualified applicants. The "boards" for toxicology are arguably among the most difficult in medicine and must be passed on the first or second attempt. In short, it is a long road for little pay increase, but if you've got the "Mr. Yuk" bug, like Southerndoc and I, it is sooo cool.

- H

Members don't see this ad :)
FoughtFyr said:
The quick answer is that you first do a residency (in your stated case) in EM or in Prev. Med, or Peds. After that you enter a two year ACGME accredited (if you are interested in board certified medical toxicology) or a one year self designed (and non-accredited) toxicology fellowship. Of late there have been decent fellowships that have gone unfilled, but don't let that lull you into a sense that they are easy to get into. Most would rather be unfilled than filled what they might consider less qualified applicants. The "boards" for toxicology are arguably among the most difficult in medicine and must be passed on the first or second attempt. In short, it is a long road for little pay increase, but if you've got the "Mr. Yuk" bug, like Southerndoc and I, it is sooo cool.

- H

I'm glad that somebody started this thread, cuz I'm too lazy to do it. My question is, how employable is toxicology? Is it something you can only do in the academic world?

NotChoCheez! said:
I'm glad that somebody started this thread, cuz I'm too lazy to do it. My question is, how employable is toxicology? Is it something you can only do in the academic world?
No, you can work in the private sector as well (i.e., environmental toxicology). You can still do regular emergency medicine as well. Nearly all toxicologists pull shifts as ED attendings. Just because you complete a fellowship in toxicology doesn't obligate you to a career in academia, although the vast majority of tox graduates do pursue such a career.

There are other options available to toxicologists, including counter-terrorism, intelligence analysis, research, etc.

southerndoc said:
There are other options available to toxicologists, including counter-terrorism, intelligence analysis, research, etc.

Well, then, I might just have to look into it!