EM Attending Only Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We will not be starting a new EM attending only forum at this time.

SDN currently has a Practicing Physicians Forum.. This forum can be used for attending level discussions. Posting threads in this forum with EM related titles (e.g. “EM Billing Issues”) would direct the discussions. Follow this link to gain access to the Practicing Physicians forum.

I want to assure everyone that this issue was taken very seriously by SDN staff at all levels. The concept in general and the technical and logistical issues were all given a lot of thought and discussion.

Ultimately several factors won out:

-Many of us were uncomfortable with the idea of excluding students. It would seem to run counter to our mission and would deny them the benefit of being exposed to the issues attending EPs find important.

-It is not technically possible to allow a particular group of users to view but not post in a forum. The fact that students would be totally excluded did not fit with the concept that most people who were for the forum advocated.

-Such a forum would be logistically difficult to establish usership and maintain.

I am convinced that the attending presence here is highly beneficial to our student and resident members. It is my hope that attendings will continue to be drawn here for good discussions. I also think that we need to consider that the best way to react to questionable posts by novices is to educate when possible and ignore when appropriate. It is crucial for people entering the field to understand that EM, like every specialty, has its problems. When negative points are made they stem from a desire to see the specialty overcome these hurdles.

I continue to be amazed at the quality of information on this forum. Anyone who posts a serious question will get an answer from someone in the field in a reasonable amount of time. This kind of access to a diverse group of other students, residents and attendings rivals and even surpasses the amount of EM expertise available at some medical schools.

I thank everyone for their participation and I hope to continue to argue collegially with all of you.

Sincerely,

docB
SDN Senior Moderator

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not necessarily suggesting this happen here at SDN, but there are both positive and negative aspects of anonymous forums and I think most of us know what those are.

Take a look at the 10-8 Forums. They require everyone to be verified and use their real name. Passionate discussion does still occur, but it is a much more cordial environment when people use their real names.

Again, not saying SDN should do this, but if the goal is to cut down on the BS then this is a possible way to go.