EM-CCM pipeline programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabbed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What EM programs are known for securing CCM fellowship spots for their residents? Currently debating between EM/CCM and going full freight with IM/EM/CCM.

Additionally, how important is research experience going to be for these sort of programs? I know that EM as a general rule isn't research heavy, but I'm curious if it'll be almost a necessity at some of the more academic centers.

Members don't see this ad.

EM->CCM is fairly uncommon, although becoming more common. I don't think programs have been around long enough to establish a track record of taking internal candidates. FWIW, it is probably going to be easier to get a CC fellowship after EM than to get an EM/IM/CC combined program.

EM->CCM is fairly uncommon, although becoming more common. I don't think programs have been around long enough to establish a track record of taking internal candidates. FWIW, it is probably going to be easier to get a CC fellowship after EM than to get an EM/IM/CC combined program.
That's disappointing. I've heard anecdotally that Pitt and Maryland have good match rates for EM-CC though?

Regarding the double residency, I figured that it would be difficult to match given that there are so few spots nationally; if I'm going the CC route the extra year for IM is really appealing. Any idea how how competitive one should be for the EM/IM/CC programs? Specifically, are research pubs a necessity?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That's disappointing. I've heard anecdotally that Pitt and Maryland have good match rates for EM-CC though?...
I don't know of anyone from UMD who didn't match into CC if they wanted it.

U Iowa and UNM both have sent graduates into CC fellowships and currently employ faculty who split their time between the ED and the ICU.

EM is becoming increasingly research heavy. If you want an ED/ICU job, you're likely going to end up in an academic institution, so you'll want to go somewhere where at least someone is doing research in EM or CC (ideally both).

That's disappointing. I've heard anecdotally that Pitt and Maryland have good match rates for EM-CC though?

Regarding the double residency, I figured that it would be difficult to match given that there are so few spots nationally; if I'm going the CC route the extra year for IM is really appealing. Any idea how how competitive one should be for the EM/IM/CC programs? Specifically, are research pubs a necessity?

Im at one of the EM/IM/CC programs and had absolutely zero research. Id say probably only about half of us here had research.

Reactions: 1 user