EM chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mop0000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying to EM with backup of rads. What are my realistic chances of EM for US allopathic?

Last year, I took step 1 and failed. I was in peds rotation and decided to withdraw. I could have completed the peds rotation but there was also the risk of failing the subject board and getting an F grade. I took the safe option and withdrew. I studied for 3 months and got a 210ish. I talked to the dean’s office and did 4 months of EM research (currently in peer review) and started rotations with the next class.

I should have my CK scores (averaging upper 220s on nbme) by the time I submit ERAS and CS in oct/nov, and I did 2 aways at average programs. I plan on leaving the top programs out and applying to maybe 150 of 168 possible EM programs. Because of my red flags (failed step 1, lost a year, W grade), can I expect a few EM interviews? My backup will be rads or soap into IM. Thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean shoot for the moon, but I don't see it happening. Especially rads.

For rads, I would be targeting the community programs and other programs that were unfilled or are considered average. I think rad has 180 programs.

I might have to meet with the deans office and EM mentor again and see if I need to add IM programs now. The EM mentor did mention that some community programs might give an invite or maybe late interviews in January.