EM core content .com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hamhock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tonight, I heard emcorecontent.com is near dead.

Given all the talk about prep for the inservice/boards, concern for resident education, and talk of "what's the best residency?" on this board, we should be all mourning or protesting (unless you are busy protesting the proposed regs in WA regarding Medicaid patients).

Is there any doubt about what is the best educational resource?

Don't say EM:RAP! (great, but not the same thing; choice number 2)

Dear MS4s: If emcorecontent.com dies, you have way more reason to push USC-LAC up at least 10+ spots on your ROL.

And I have NO CONNECTION or AFFILIATION with the program.

This is a loss for all of EM education.

HH

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, I'm a med student and wondered the same thing.

Shutting down by Feb 29, 2012.... that's crappy.

I'm at a program in the Northeast but I had signed up for EM Core Content as a supplement and thought it was phenomenal, especially as a first year to go home and get an on-demand in-depth lecture on what I saw (DKA, CHF, ALTE, etc). I'm really upset to see this go.

On that topic, anyone use EMedHome.com? Looks promising

I think EM Core Content is the single best resource out there - it helped me during residency on those days where I didn't feel like reading - could just load up a video and watch passively but still learn. I am a subscriber and received this email 2 days ago:

Dear EMCORECONTENT subscriber,

It is with regret that we must inform you that EMCORECONTENT.com will cease to operate in it’s current form as of February 29, 2012 and the web site will be taken down. This decision is not an easy one but it has been made for a variety of logistic and practical reasons involving the complications of University, County and Department roles in the project. We thank you for being a part of this educational experiment, for five years we have delivered what we believe to be the best Emergency Medicine residency based education available in the world.

As a way of saying thanks for your business we will be issuing you a FULL refund for your subscription in the next two weeks. In addition, you will also receive a 20% discount coupon code for EMRAP.org and EssentialsofEM.com either as a new subscriber or when you resubscribe using the coupon code “EMCORE”.

We again thank you for being part of this experiment and look forward to providing you with the best education possible in one of our other programs. If you have specific questions please contact us at [email protected].

Sincerely,

The EMCORECONTENT.com Team

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Single best website out there--phenomenal lectures, reasonable price, easy to sit through, large database. Just a huge loss--hopefully they come back in some form

For those fellow fans of emcorecontent who also have subscriptions, please PM me.

I have an idea to keep access to the content.

Thanks, HH

I'm an EM resident at USC and the reason why EM Core Content had to be taken down was because of our institution's desire to be more HIPAA compliant and also the ballooning cost of taping the lectures. For those applicants applying right now, EM Core Content will be back for residents and attendings of this program but in a stripped down version that will only be able to be accessed by people of this program (from what I understand). This is what I understood from our last grand rounds and from an email sent from our PD yesterday. From an informal poll that was taken at the last grand rounds, everyone was unanimously opposed to getting rid of the taped lectures, as it is an invaluable educational resource, as mentioned before. However, it will be back in a more stripped down format that is not as resource intensive...so this doesn't affect any of the educational resources at the disposal of a prospective/current resident's training. Also, all the current EM Core Content material will be made available to residents and attendings. So if this issue was going to knock the program down 10+ spots on your list, you can put it back up 10+ spots...although it remains an unfortunate situation for those not affiliated with the program who will not have access to the content any more. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I'm an EM resident at USC and the reason why EM Core Content had to be taken down was because of our institution's desire to be more HIPAA compliant and also the ballooning cost of taping the lectures. For those applicants applying right now, EM Core Content will be back for residents and attendings of this program but in a stripped down version that will only be able to be accessed by people of this program (from what I understand). This is what I understood from our last grand rounds and from an email sent from our PD yesterday. From an informal poll that was taken at the last grand rounds, everyone was unanimously opposed to getting rid of the taped lectures, as it is an invaluable educational resource, as mentioned before. However, it will be back in a more stripped down format that is not as resource intensive...so this doesn't affect any of the educational resources at the disposal of a prospective/current resident's training. Also, all the current EM Core Content material will be made available to residents and attendings. So if this issue was going to knock the program down 10+ spots on your list, you can put it back up 10+ spots...although it remains an unfortunate situation for those not affiliated with the program who will not have access to the content any more. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Has there been any discussion of asking more money from subscribers? I would pay more.

Hear that Herbert!

HH

So the IT gurus at our program are in the process of making a new product/site for accessing the old and new EM Core Content resources. In the meantime until it gets up and running, the new stuff can be accessed through iTunesU. How to access it is as follows, enjoy:

Desktop access requirements:
Itunes (for PC or Mac)
1. On an internet browser, go to itunes.usc.edu
2. Click on "Go to USC in iTunes U"
3. Itunes will open up and navigate to "Emerging Research and Evidence and its Clinical Application in Emergency Medicine"
NB: subscribing to this channel will help with future viewing. If you're having difficulty streaming the video, try downloading the video and then watching it.

Iphone access requirements:
Iphone 4 (iOS 5.0 at minimum)
1. Download "iTunes U" app (free)
2. Navigate to "Emerging Research and Evidence and its Clinical Application in Emergency Medicine"

So the IT gurus at our program are in the process of making a new product/site for accessing the old and new EM Core Content resources. In the meantime until it gets up and running, the new stuff can be accessed through iTunesU. How to access it is as follows, enjoy:

Desktop access requirements:
Itunes (for PC or Mac)
1. On an internet browser, go to itunes.usc.edu
2. Click on "Go to USC in iTunes U"
3. Itunes will open up and navigate to "Emerging Research and Evidence and its Clinical Application in Emergency Medicine"
NB: subscribing to this channel will help with future viewing. If you're having difficulty streaming the video, try downloading the video and then watching it.

Iphone access requirements:
Iphone 4 (iOS 5.0 at minimum)
1. Download "iTunes U" app (free)
2. Navigate to "Emerging Research and Evidence and its Clinical Application in Emergency Medicine"

Thanks! I really miss EMCoreContent

Has ANYONE got access to it still?

Can they help me get access? When we go on the site, it asks for a username and password.

Necrobump...

Just starting residency and I've heard great things about USC's Core Content...anybody know if there's a way to access it?

I've heard about USC's HippoEM and Essentials...but those seem to be different type of products (and paying $800/yr for Hippo is way out of my price range). Anybody have any experience with them?

Basically, I'm looking for EM video lectures covering the bread-and-butter topics of EM. I've used EM:Basic and it's a great resource, but I'm looking for something to watch. Anybody have any suggestions on good "core content"-like video lectures out there?

Necrobump...

Just starting residency and I've heard great things about USC's Core Content...anybody know if there's a way to access it?

I've heard about USC's HippoEM and Essentials...but those seem to be different type of products (and paying $800/yr for Hippo is way out of my price range). Anybody have any experience with them?

Basically, I'm looking for EM video lectures covering the bread-and-butter topics of EM. I've used EM:Basic and it's a great resource, but I'm looking for something to watch. Anybody have any suggestions on good "core content"-like video lectures out there?
I'm from the USC DEM residency and the hippoEM folks just launched "hippoEM: resident edition" for $249....http://www.hippoem.com/resident?link=em-price-block
They were talking about an even cheaper group rate if groups sign up...the new site looks awesome with all the bells and whistles!

FYI...EM core content videos are now posted for free

http://uscemeducation.com

LA County + USC EM just started an education website and blog. We are in the process of putting a lot of the old EM Core Content lectures on the website for free as part of the #FOAM movement.

For those of you who don't know, EM Core Content use to be a collection of awesome lectures done by the faculty at LA County USC (Herbert, Mallon, Swadron, etc)

If you go to the website and click on "Core Curriculum", you'll find the videos posted under the various topics. Our education blog will also have frequent posts with procedure videos, grand rounds summaries and lectures, and various other EM topics.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users