EM Job satisfaction..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Witness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a 3rd year medical student who's pretty set on applying for EM soon. I thought a lot and listened to a lot of different people's stories over the past year and found my own reasons to like emergency medicine as a career but I was curious as to where YOU find job satisfaction as an ER doc.

PS: this is my first post EVER! I'd appreciate your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry you haven't gotten any responses from attendings.

the ED docs that i know like the shift work, variety, and the drama (some wont admit this).

i think the quick pace and constant stream of different types of patients tends to appeal to certain personalities.

ER was the least painful of all of the rotations I experienced. It is still painful at times. I like the breadth of knowledge that is required, combined with a few simple procedures. Most of all, I like that I don't have to run a business AND be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding! Really appreciate it. What about lack of continuity? Ten years down the road will seeing different pathology, drama, excitement enough to keep you going?

Amen to not having to run a buisness though!

Been an attending for almost 4 years (wow).

I love having more time off than most of my medical colleagues. Time off during the week is fantastic. I look forward to those days more than I do a weekend off. I love the cameraderie in the ED with the nurses/techs/hospitalists/EMTs. I love knowing a ltitle bit about everything, the jack fo all trades. I love the lifestyle, and the pay.

Don't like the change in circadian rhtyhm but I have a very understanding and amazing wife who understands this.

That's about the only negative.
Q

As someone who's on a IM sub-I, I would much rather show up at 11pm and work overnight till 7am than be there for 30 hours and get off at noon. EM sounds so good right now.