Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Driftinglily11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to get 2 SLORS from EM faculty at residency programs. If you haven't yet schedule rotations at places with residencies to get these letters. Preferably before October if you're applying this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is your interaction so limited with attendings? Is it mainly resident driven? If so, you'll need to step up and tell the residents this is your field, and you want to own the rotation. Ask them for help, and be (semi)aggressive in having them let you present to attendings. The key here is initiative. I've been on rotations where I mainly interact with residents, it can be hard to get too evals/LORs.

Another little tip for looking good: What I tend to do a bit is read up on the patients, then ask questions I technically already know. You can always sneak in a subtle expansion or clarification to show your understanding and knowledge. If the attending gives you the "half-smile" and asks, "Why don't you tell me?" that's your chance to show off a little knowledge. In my opinion, it's simply good strategy. And it teaches you along the way, too. :)

Make it known that you want to go into EM, ask for advice from the residents you work with. I've found people really go out of their way to help if they like you and know you are interested in their specialty. They all went through the same thing.

Ask the program director or one of the attendings to meet with you to discuss the specialty and tell them you would like a strong SLOR from their program and see what they want you to do to earn it. Most places will either schedule you to work a few shifts with the letter writer or if they really dont have students work with attendings they will ask the residents about you and write the letter based on their interactions.

Most places will either schedule you to work a few shifts with the letter writer or if they really dont have students work with attendings they will ask the residents about you and write the letter based on their interactions.
ye8fth