EM/Peds career oportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cautiousvampire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading some of the IM/EM combined res threads and am under the impression that it is possible to split ones time between EM and hospitalist IM. Do you think that this would also be possible for one completing the EM/Peds program. I would ideally like to split time between a peds ED and peds hospitalist.

(sorry for title misspelling)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading some of the IM/EM combined res threads and am under the impression that it is possible to split ones time between EM and hospitalist IM. Do you think that this would also be possible for one completing the EM/Peds program. I would ideally like to split time between a peds ED and peds hospitalist.

(sorry for title misspelling)

very possible...

...but (coming from a semi-extreme viewpont) you will never be a true (comfortable) EM doc...by which, I mean a bit more than Peds...

HH

(just an opinion and experience, as I am not Peds-trained)

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, Hamhock, I believe you are a bit mis-informed about the EM/peds training. You will complete both a pediatrics and EM residency in the 5 years of residency and be equipped to work in any ED, peds or adult, and as a peds hospitalist or even private general pediatrician if so desired. I'm currently training in an EM/peds residency and many of our graduates do just as cautiousvampire describes: spilt time between both worlds. It's actually kinda awesome. Then there are also graduates that split time between our major trauma center and our tertiary care peds ED. The residency really opens you to many opportunities in both fields and can often make you a huge asset to both sides in your procedural/critical care skills for pediatrics and your vast general peds knowledge for EM.

Unfortunately, Hamhock, I believe you are a bit mis-informed about the EM/peds training. You will complete both a pediatrics and EM residency in the 5 years of residency and be equipped to work in any ED, peds or adult, and as a peds hospitalist or even private general pediatrician if so desired. I'm currently training in an EM/peds residency and many of our graduates do just as cautiousvampire describes: spilt time between both worlds. It's actually kinda awesome. Then there are also graduates that split time between our major trauma center and our tertiary care peds ED. The residency really opens you to many opportunities in both fields and can often make you a huge asset to both sides in your procedural/critical care skills for pediatrics and your vast general peds knowledge for EM.

Thank you so much for the honest response. I have been searching for info like this for quite a while and found nothing. This is very helpful. Your program doesn't happen to be in the midwest does it?(thats where I'm looking)

Thank you so much for the honest response. I have been searching for info like this for quite a while and found nothing. This is very helpful. Your program doesn't happen to be in the midwest does it?(thats where I'm looking)

There are three EM/Peds programs that I know of: Indiana University (midwest!), University of Maryland, and University of Arizona.. I did a pediatric EM rotation and met a few people who did the residency. One guy splits his time between a general emergency department and a pediatric emergency department. If you're cool with a 5year residency I think EM/Peds is amazing.

Yes! The program director at IU spent several years working in the adult and pediatric EDs and working as a pediatric hospitalist. Completing an EM/Peds residency opens you up to any and all job options available to pediatric residents AND emergency residents so it offers a lot of flexibility in terms of job possibilities. You do come out fully board eligible in both pediatrics and emergency medicine so you would be fully comfortable working in an adult ED, pediatric ED, or other pediatric settings.

IU's website has a nice FAQ that answers many of the common questions about EM/Peds and has a listing of the jobs graduates have taken.