EM physician Salary report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winkleweizen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2012/emergencymedicine

I just got this sent to my inbox.
Average salary: 237K

So eventhough the average salary declined from 2010 to 2011, most EM physicians earned the same or more?
-I guess the only way I can see this is that theres becoming fewer and fewer outliers to skew the numbers? (fewer ppl pulling in 400k+)

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

So eventhough the average salary declined from 2010 to 2011, most EM physicians earned the same or more?
-I guess the only way I can see this is that theres becoming fewer and fewer outliers to skew the numbers? (fewer ppl pulling in 400k+)

Thoughts?

Yea, pretty depressing 8% drop. I don't like where this is going.

Although I'm starting to realize there is no benefit to reporting my true income to anyone. Might as well cut it in half for any surveys. Report too much and you'll have the 99% staking out your front yard.

I think its hard to tell much from these things, their N is a pretty small proportion of all EM docs out there so I doubt the sample is truly representative of the BC EM population as a whole. Having said that maybe I'm just being optimistic that the 8% drop isn't real

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is if you look at posted jobs you can find jobs paying $200 / hr. You can find jobs paying in the 150-180 range with ease.. using those numbers you can figure out the income.

One of the things that drives me a little batty is in EM we arent slaaried. we work hourly... our income is based on this plus a bonus (often also based on hours worked or productivity/hr etc).

A total number doesnt matter. The spread in hours worked is huge, this makes the $/hr the most legit way to compare jobs / income.

2400hr per year?

You must be insane!

Insane+in+the+membrane.jpg

Thoughts?

I'm willing to be the 13% making <100k aren't working full time in the ED. Maybe urgent care?

I'm willing to be the 13% making <100k aren't working full time in the ED. Maybe urgent care?

Or maybe there were residents who filled out the survey and scewed the numbers...I noticed something similar in the surgery survey data. I doubt many people are operating for less than 100K unless they are semiretired.

I'm not insane. You know why? I don't work 2400 hr per year in the ED.

I know guys that've done it. They made lots of money, but as you can imagine, that pace didn't last long.

Sarcasm, dude. If I was wondering if you did 2400/year, I would have asked. I wasn't, so I didn't.

So, alternately: "2400 hours per year in the ED is insane. <insert insane in the membrane meme>" It sort of loses the humor that way.

Or maybe there were residents who filled out the survey and scewed the numbers...I noticed something similar in the surgery survey data. I doubt many people are operating for less than 100K unless they are semiretired.

Or maybe they surveyed a bunch of military docs. I had taxable income so low one year that I qualified for the retirement savings credit.

I agree with Ectopic that it's all about the hourly rate, with the cautions put forth by Birdstrike. Many expenses are fixed (malpractice, benefits, group employees, CME, licensing etc), although some are variable (coding fees, billing fees, charting fees).

Simply.. $200/hr is doable. I still get emails from some recruiter (dont even know how they got my name). Email is for all nights $295/hr.. 80 hours per month.. 300k per yr.. Just saying..

Simply.. $200/hr is doable. I still get emails from some recruiter (dont even know how they got my name). Email is for all nights $295/hr.. 80 hours per month.. 300k per yr.. Just saying..

I agree that the average seems a bit low. You can get there pretty easily. I think a lot of it is underreporting. After seeing what MSN did with this survey:

http://now.msn.com/money/0427-doctors-regret-career-survey.aspx

I'm going to cut $100K off my answer next time.