EM podcast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rowdy Burns

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on some good EM podcasts? I have listened to EM basic before.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, EM RAP is not just the pinacle of EM podcasts, but is probobly the best podcast in all of medicine.

It's subject matter is more advanced, you will need a firm understanding of the core concepts of EM to get the most out of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, EM RAP is not just the pinacle of EM podcasts, but is probobly the best podcast in all of medicine.

It's subject matter is more advanced, you will need a firm understanding of the core concepts of EM to get the most out of it.
C3 has been pretty good for plebes like me

Reactions: 2 users
the EMA (emergency medical abstracts) is a great way to stay up to date on the literature. Not as silly and entertaining as EMRAP but a great monthly lit review.
https://www.ccme.org/EMA/

There are so many good ones -- it's great that you've listened to EM Basic, which is what I'd recommend for medical students alongside EM:RAP's C3 series. Other good student ones are the Core EM Podcast (also great for all levels) from NYU and FOAMCast.

Here's some of my favorites in other specific areas:

The Ultrasound Podcast (Self-explanatory)

EMA (Mentioned above), EM:RAP, Annals of Emergency Medicine, Washington University's Journal Club (Called the EMJClub Podcast), The Resus Room, Updates in Resuscitation Podcast, The Skeptic's Guide To EM, REBEL Cast -- All literature review-oriented and great for keeping up with current literature and sharpening your critical thinking skillz when it comes to medical literature and treatments. EM:RAP does this well, and includes a lot more and is an essential (and free if you join EMRA).

The well-known EMCrit (fantastic, though more focused on critically ill patients and demanding in terms of physiology knowledge), Critical Care Perspectives in Emergency Medicine, iCritical Care, Maryland CC Project, ED ECMO, Intensive Care Network Podcasts -- All critical care-oriented, more advanced topics / very physiology heavy. EMCrit is also chock full o' inspirational interviews with people talking about the mental aspects of emergency medicine, which is sometimes nice to think about.

SMACC, ERCast, SMART EM (worth listening to early episodes if you can find them, though painful), TamingtheSRU (Cincinnati's residency podcast), PHARM, The Poison Review -- These are varied and cover many topics but are all well-done podcasts. SMACC is like TED Talks for emergency medicine and critical care.

Pediatric Emergency Playbook, Emergency Medicine Cases (also does adults)-- Both of these are Canadian and have super high production quality and really great content, PEM Currents -- Self-explanatory category.

Last but not least: Traumcast, Trauma Loupes Podcast and Behind the Knife: The Surgery Podcast -- Surgery ones ('cause we should read their literature AND listen to their podcasts.

Can you tell I like podcasts? They're responsible (alongside trying to read about the things they discuss in peer-reviewed and textbook sources) for a lot of what I know regarding emergency medicine. There's so many out there, which is yet another thing that makes our field really cool. I hope the ecosystem continues to grow and the whole idea of FOAMed grows with it, and that it continues to spread beyond EM into other fields. You have to have a critical eye for what hear/read, but it's a treasure.

I'll say that as a field, EM has some of the best podcasts out there. I'm in Cards though during IM training I really liked critical care which a lot of the EM shows focused on. Even now I still listen to the more cardio focused EM podcast episodes.

Ones that are on my list, in no particular order:

-REBEL Cast
-ERCAST
-EMCrit
-ED ECMO
-Ultrasound Podcast

There are so many good ones -- it's great that you've listened to EM Basic, which is what I'd recommend for medical students alongside EM:RAP's C3 series. Other good student ones are the Core EM Podcast (also great for all levels) from NYU and FOAMCast.

Here's some of my favorites in other specific areas:

The Ultrasound Podcast (Self-explanatory)

EMA (Mentioned above), EM:RAP, Annals of Emergency Medicine, Washington University's Journal Club (Called the EMJClub Podcast), The Resus Room, Updates in Resuscitation Podcast, The Skeptic's Guide To EM, REBEL Cast -- All literature review-oriented and great for keeping up with current literature and sharpening your critical thinking skillz when it comes to medical literature and treatments. EM:RAP does this well, and includes a lot more and is an essential (and free if you join EMRA).

The well-known EMCrit (fantastic, though more focused on critically ill patients and demanding in terms of physiology knowledge), Critical Care Perspectives in Emergency Medicine, iCritical Care, Maryland CC Project, ED ECMO, Intensive Care Network Podcasts -- All critical care-oriented, more advanced topics / very physiology heavy. EMCrit is also chock full o' inspirational interviews with people talking about the mental aspects of emergency medicine, which is sometimes nice to think about.

SMACC, ERCast, SMART EM (worth listening to early episodes if you can find them, though painful), TamingtheSRU (Cincinnati's residency podcast), PHARM, The Poison Review -- These are varied and cover many topics but are all well-done podcasts. SMACC is like TED Talks for emergency medicine and critical care.

Pediatric Emergency Playbook, Emergency Medicine Cases (also does adults)-- Both of these are Canadian and have super high production quality and really great content, PEM Currents -- Self-explanatory category.

Last but not least: Traumcast, Trauma Loupes Podcast and Behind the Knife: The Surgery Podcast -- Surgery ones ('cause we should read their literature AND listen to their podcasts.

Can you tell I like podcasts? They're responsible (alongside trying to read about the things they discuss in peer-reviewed and textbook sources) for a lot of what I know regarding emergency medicine. There's so many out there, which is yet another thing that makes our field really cool. I hope the ecosystem continues to grow and the whole idea of FOAMed grows with it, and that it continues to spread beyond EM into other fields. You have to have a critical eye for what hear/read, but it's a treasure.

Dude. You have a problem.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude. You have a problem.
Yeah man. Long public transit times. Luckily these podcasts are not all that frequent in terms of regular output so it really doesn't add up to that much of a time investment when you walk or bus to work. I learn way better by hearing than by reading though so it works for me.

Reactions: 1 user