EM textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDBird90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an EM textbook that's great for self-study? I'm not a medical student, and really don't know which forum to post this in, so I thought I'd start here. Harwood-Nuss, Tintinalli, or Rosens? I guess I'm looking for a big picture overview of EM, yet I like the details. And yes, I've searched here before, but couldn't find anything.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be helpful to know what your educational level is and what your goals are for this.

If you are pre-med, the answer will almost certainly be "none of them". Unless you have a significant amount of medical knowledge you are bringing from previous experience, you won't be able to really assimilate a lot of information from any of the big 3.

Your time would be much better spent learning something that will help you get into medical school. Otherwise, some foundational medical stuff would be the way to go (anatomy, physiology, etc). Or even better, use this time as possibly your last opportunity to learn something non-medical.

Save the specialty knowledge for your clinical years.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

While I overall agree with the above, I must share that I had a paperback "emergency nursing atlas" that was my mother's... and during high school/college, I really dug just leafing thru it and looking at whatever term or catchphrase that caught my eye.... then going and looking that up elsewhere.