Email or Letter to CEO for Permission to Conduct Research at a Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should call him/her at home after 2am... that or knock on his door at 2am.

So this kind of think needs to go through the IRB at your hospital bud... Most of the time it will take a few days of review to get the ok.

Reactions: 1 user
What if your research works against said hospitals efficiency? I'm not sure a hospital will want to take that chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would it do that?
You want to know the efficiency of a hospital service. That sounds like you want to know how fast/effective/qualitative a service of theirs is. What if your research proves it really isn't that efficient at all? I'm not too sure a hospital would want that work published.

Are you sure the CEO is the best person to start with?

It's not a hospital affiliated with my school, though, so I don't know if an IRB is appropriate for it.

It is not your school's IRB. Most hosptials that have research going on will have an IRB. Look for it.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not a hospital affiliated with my school, though, so I don't know if an IRB is appropriate for it.
If you plan a hospital-sponsored quality improvement project, you don't need to go through an IRB, but of course, any data you collect isn't publishable. Otherwise, human subjects research requires IRB approval. The hospital may have a Research Coordination Office (or somesuch) which can set you on the path of what you need to do to get the necessary permissions in place.

Reactions: 1 users
Do not start with the CEO (not that your message would likely reach her/him). Like Cat said, you'd need to find their research coordinator. If you cannot find that, you might try to see if they have a quality improvement department and they can also be a good place to start.

Reactions: 1 users