About the ads

Email or snail mail?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by RSalha17, Dec 17, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the DAT
  1. RSalha17

RSalha17 UWSOD c/o 2017 :)

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    When sending a thank you letter after an interview, is it better to send a hand weitten letter or is it ok to just send an email? And how long after your interview do you send the letter? Does it look like you are too eager if you send it the next day?

Thanks
  2. RSalha17

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  3. KittySquared

KittySquared Kitty chompers

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Private jet yourself over and hand deliver it. They will not be able to refuse.
  4. aggiegirl12809

aggiegirl12809

Pre-Dental
    I sent emails. It cuts the risk of the note not reaching the person it needs to go to. I had one of my interviews on a Monday, and I sent an email on Wednesday afternoon.
  5. sacapuntas

sacapuntas Verified Account

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just don't use cards with glitter. We received holiday themed thank you's from an applicant today and when the admissions director saw glitter on the envelope, she threw hers away without even opening it.
  6. KittySquared

KittySquared Kitty chompers

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is way better than glitter. It's fun and interactive so the interviewer can play around with his fat fingers like legs for the little ballerina. Highly recommend it
    [​IMG]
  7. monkeyteeth

monkeyteeth Monkey going crazy!!!

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i don't like glitter but she sounds like a bi**h. seriously, so inconsiderate ...
  8. RSalha17

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't respond if you don't have helpful input.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  9. RSalha17

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the input, this is helpful
  10. Sal427

Sal427

Pre-Dental
  11. sacapuntas

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You are not wrong...I am counting the days until I start dental school and quit that job.
  12. Member902507

Member902507

Pre-Dental
    :laugh:

I mailed cards to most interviewers. I couldn't mail them to all because I either couldn't find their address, or there were too many people.

Also, I kept getting busy, so mine were mailed out more than a week after my interview.

Interestingly enough, I got rejected to a school I mailed cards too, and was accepted to a school that I didn't mail anything to, haha. Interesting how things work
  13. 503224

503224 Gold Donor

How'd you get a gig working in a dental admissions office?
  14. 503224

503224 Gold Donor

How often does mail really get lost?

When I apply, I don't know whether I'm going to do email vs hand-written thank you's. I honestly wish I could do both, but I guess that'd be overkill.

The one thing I have been told is that if you're going to send a thank you note, you should send a thank you note as soon as possible. Don't wait longer than a week is what I have been told. I probably wouldn't send an email thank you the day of my interview (I could drop one in the mail the day of, though), and I honestly think the morning after is the perfect time to send an email thank you. IMO, it shows you're interested and that you've had time to think about the interview a little bit before sending the thank you note.

:idea:
    What do you guys think of dropping handwritten thank you notes in the mailbox right after the interview, the day of the interview? That way it'd get to the interviewer within a couple of days of the interview, and chances are the interviewer isn't going to pay attention to the date it was sent or the place that stamped it, so it probably wouldn't look super creepy. Good idea or bad idea?
  15. sacapuntas

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It's a med school residency program that I work for. Same general rules apply though I think.
  16. RSalha17

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What the heck I feel like I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find the contact information for two of the three dentists I interviewed with... Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do?
  17. aggiegirl12809

aggiegirl12809

Pre-Dental
    You can call the admissions office. If you know the names of who interviewed you, they can get you that info!
  18. Member902507

Member902507

Pre-Dental
    Those were the people who I didn't bother sending a card to. If they're practicing dentists, you might be able to find their office address?
  19. aznboi89x

aznboi89x

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i googled the local dentist that interviewed us at LECOM. I managed to get her office address.
  20. RSalha17

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I literally searched EVERYWHERE for their email address and I didn't even find them in google. It is like they are ghost adcoms... Spooky? Haha