Emailing/calling programs with interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smdh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few questions,

Is it a reasonable or acceptable thing to email programs to show interest?
Is it best/better to call?
Should I email the program coordinator or director?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is both reasonable and potentially very helpful.

Definitely email, not call.

I'd email the PD and cc the PC, and if you can't find the PDs email then email the PC and ask that they forward jt along.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it is both reasonable and potentially very helpful.

Definitely email, not call.

I'd email the PD and cc the PC, and if you can't find the PDs email then email the PC and ask that they forward jt along.
I honestly got a couple interviews when I called the PC right around this time of year to check on the status of my file (and express an interest). Probably interviews I would have gotten anyway, but it was still nice.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly got a couple interviews when I called the PC right around this time of year to check on the status of my file (and express an interest). Probably interviews I would have gotten anyway, but it was still nice.

Same, I know at least a few of my interviews are directly because I contacted the department. They get so many applications it's hard to know who is truly interested in training at that program.

Same, I know at least a few of my interviews are directly because I contacted the department. They get so many applications it's hard to know who is truly interested in training at that program.

Mind sharing the general format of your emails?

Mind sharing the general format of your emails?
I honestly called them during business hours and asked the program coordinator about the general status of the review of my application. They looked at it and (at least told me) they made a note of interest on my file. On two separate occasions I actually called to do this and had an interview invite same day. *shrug* if it made any difference. Neither program was the one I eventually matched at.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a feeling it might be better to wait a little bit longer as not even a month has gone by since applications were sent out and the system this year is all new

I honestly called them during business hours and asked the program coordinator about the general status of the review of my application. They looked at it and (at least told me) they made a note of interest on my file. On two separate occasions I actually called to do this and had an interview invite same day. *shrug* if it made any difference. Neither program was the one I eventually matched at.

I feel like calling can be hit or miss. It has the potential to work out well, like it did for you, but it also has the potential to work against you if your call is found to be "annoying." I felt like with an e-mail it allows them to read it when they have time, and on the off chance, that a bunch of other people have the same idea they won't be overwhelmed by phone calls.

Either way though, I think the important thing is letting the programs know why you are genuinely interested in their program. I had the best success with geographic ties to the area that weren't evident in my application.

All I know is that my PC and PD hate them.

They don't give negative points for it or anything. But it definitely doesn't help. You get a boilerplate response that the applications are being reviewed.

But they each get so many emails per day from applicants it is mind boggling. If I ever go in the PC's office at this time of year there are multiple calls per hour.

I agree with the above....its a hit or miss. Its most definitely taking a risk contacting programs. I have called quiet a few programs myself and everytime the PC or PD have been very helpful and patient. Some might not have been as nice as others but there was nothing that told me I might get blacklisted from the program for having the nerve to call. I personally dont like emailing unless the PC tells me to do so just because I think PDs get a lot of emails and yours might get lost, so I have chosen to call each program I want to express a special interest in.

I think timing, your mannerism and the general mood on the other side of the phone will determine your outcome, personally I think it is a risk worth taking if it lands you an interview.

I called a program yesterday and while the lady was nice, she said she could only tell me if they received it and that she "couldn't tell me" where in the process they were of reviewing it. I am not sure if she meant that she couldnt tell me because she literally had no idea, or if she couldnt tell me because she wasnt allowed to. I emailed another program yesterday but of course havent heard back.

I am really surprised one of the posters above who was 2/2 with calls. That's amazing and I doubt it is a coincidence.

I emailed the PCs for the two programs I was really interested in and hadn't heard from. Couldn't bring myself to e-mail the PD directly, and figured that the PC can decide to either forward or delete the e-mail, as he/she probably knows what the PD thinks of these sorts of e-mails. I ended up with an invite for one of the two just a few days later. Didn't have any geographical ties to the area, but one of my LOR writers had previously been a faculty there, so I talked about the influence he had on me in deciding to consider the program highly.

about 3 weeks after the MSPE went out (for me it went out Nov 1st) I called programs that i had not heard from and said i was interested in their program but had not heard anything and just wanted to check in with them…some were polite and impersonal, but others were very nice…most said that they would pull my application and review it, others actually told me that i wasn't going to get an interview (maybe 3 or 4- but hey at least i could cross them off my list!) and a couple i found out that i was getting an interview and set up the date on the phone! If they said it was still under review, i asked when would be a good time to call back..that way i wouldn't pester them too much (couple of the PCs laughed at that)! I probably got 4-5 interviews out of the calling.

IMHO the email is going to get lost in the shuffle…sure some people will feel like you are interrupting their busy day, but others actually making a connection with the name they have seen on an application.

Reactions: 5 users
I called a program yesterday and while the lady was nice, she said she could only tell me if they received it and that she "couldn't tell me" where in the process they were of reviewing it. I am not sure if she meant that she couldnt tell me because she literally had no idea, or if she couldnt tell me because she wasnt allowed to. I emailed another program yesterday but of course havent heard back.

I am really surprised one of the posters above who was 2/2 with calls. That's amazing and I doubt it is a coincidence.
I wasn't 2/2. I was something like 2/6 or 2/7. So a call (obviously) doesn't guarantee an interview. But in my (limited n=1) experience, it doesn't particularly hurt.

I don't think calling/emailing is a good idea. If they don't really want to interview you, they are probably not going to rank you very high come February.

I don't think calling/emailing is a good idea. If they don't really want to interview you, they are probably not going to rank you very high come February.
do you realize just how many applications programs get? in the thousands for IM…and its not like programs will look at every single application…filters are used to narrow the field…your application could easily go unnoticed…

i take your experience with calling and/or emailing was not successful? or are you just stating an opinion with no experience behind it?

Ehh... if they don't want to interview you, then they won't interview you.

It's a calculated risk. If they were going to interview you, then as long as you don't come off too pushy they'll still interview you. It's expected that med students are neurotic this time of year. Just don't go overboard. If they weren't going to interview you, then there's nothing you can realistically do. If they were on the fence about you... well, maybe it can help, maybe it won't. But as long as you aren't overly annoying it wouldn't hurt. Just send a polite email.

Reactions: 3 users
I doubt sensing a polite email inquiring about the status of your application and expressing interest will hurt. Most likely it will just garner a canned response sent to all other email inquirers but it has a small chance of helping.

If you really want to interview somewhere then faculty advocating on your behalf is the best way to go.

Isn't it considered a violation to get in touch with programs?

Today I got a generic email from a program basically saying, "CALM DOWN, WE HAVEN'T REVIEWED APPS YET, STOP CALLING AND EMAILING US."

I think I'm going to hold off for another week or so before calling a very few select number of programs.

Reactions: 4 users
I emailed the PCs for the two programs I was really interested in and hadn't heard from. Couldn't bring myself to e-mail the PD directly, and figured that the PC can decide to either forward or delete the e-mail, as he/she probably knows what the PD thinks of these sorts of e-mails. I ended up with an invite for one of the two just a few days later. Didn't have any geographical ties to the area, but one of my LOR writers had previously been a faculty there, so I talked about the influence he had on me in deciding to consider the program highly.

Please stop messaging me to ask which program/specialty my previous post regarded (I would like to maintain my anonymity on the online forum and don't have time to reply to every message). I'm only a medical student, but if you're (1) respectful and not overly annoying, and (2) express genuine interest in the program (don't copy and paste generic messages to multiple programs and definitely make sure you have the right program name if you do), I'm pretty darned sure that sending an interest e-mail or calling is not going to hurt your application. If they were on the fence and the e-mail/call buys you an interview invite, be prepared to play to your strengths during the interview and address any concerns they may have had regarding your application. I wasn't hopeful that my e-mail would have any effect, but figured I wouldn't have anything to lose. I knew I'd feel better if I got to at least rank my top program and not match there than to not be able to rank it at all.

At an interview prep panel my school arraigned last week, all program directors universally agreed that email is preferred to phone calls because they can reply at their leisure.

If I can now add my own question to this thread: I sent a letter of interest to one of my first choice programs and received a personal reply from the program director that apps were still under review. I assume that letters of interest are a one and done kind of thing--there's no reason I should send a follow-up letter of interest in the following weeks? I am assuming no, because if I were a program director I would find that annoying, but wanted to double check.

At an interview prep panel my school arraigned last week, all program directors universally agreed that email is preferred to phone calls because they can reply at their leisure.

If I can now add my own question to this thread: I sent a letter of interest to one of my first choice programs and received a personal reply from the program director that apps were still under review. I assume that letters of interest are a one and done kind of thing--there's no reason I should send a follow-up letter of interest in the following weeks? I am assuming no, because if I were a program director I would find that annoying, but wanted to double check.
Yes, that would be annoying. You're interested. S/he knows that. You may (not) get an interview there. Move on with your life.

Think of it like dating:

You meet a prospective romantic interest, have a great evening with them and exchange contact information.

A few weeks later you get in touch with them and tell them how much you enjoyed your time together and you'd like to see them again.

If you haven't heard from them in a few weeks are you really going to contact them again? Most people would say no because they know this is annoying to receive unwanted attention.

If you're the kind of person who says yes you would continue to contact them and forceyour attentions upon them, then you have a lot bigger problems in life than getting a residency interview.

Reactions: 3 users
If you are truly interested in the program and haven't received an interview invite yet, I think it's a good idea to email at least the program coordinator and possibly the program director about why you are interested in the program. Just make sure you state the specific reasons you are interested in the program. If you have geographic ties to the area then bring it up. If there is something unique about the program that excites you, mention it. If your email sounds generic, they might think you aren't serious and it could even hurt your application. I emailed a few programs last year that I was really interested in and hadn't heard anything from and I eventually received an interview invite from most of them. I ended up matching at one of the programs that I had emailed and received an interview from.

Reactions: 4 users
If you are truly interested in the program and haven't received an interview invite yet, I think it's a good idea to email at least the program coordinator and possibly the program director about why you are interested in the program. Just make sure you state the specific reasons you are interested in the program. If you have geographic ties to the area then bring it up. If there is something unique about the program that excites you, mention it. If your email sounds generic, they might think you aren't serious and it could even hurt your application. I emailed a few programs last year that I was really interested in and hadn't heard anything from and I eventually received an interview invite from most of them. I ended up matching at one of the programs that I had emailed and received an interview from.

I'd take it a step further and say if you are really set on wanting to interview somewhere ask around and find a faculty member who has a connection there. If they will make a call on your behalf I think it can be a huge help.

Last edited:
You can send Greeting/thank you cards. It leaves some effect! Rarely PDs have time to flip through emails.

How different is the process if you are on a waitlist? One of my top choices waitlisted me and basically said they would call/email if cancellations occur. Do emails expressing interest help in this regard? What if you are in the area for another interview, would it be appropriate to call/email stating that fact and inquiring about the potential for an interview?

How different is the process if you are on a waitlist? One of my top choices waitlisted me and basically said they would call/email if cancellations occur. Do emails expressing interest help in this regard?

It helped me with residency and also fellowship applications. There's no way to know how high I was on the wait list though.

As a matter of fact, I matched into that particular residency program.

Think of it like dating:

You meet a prospective romantic interest, have a great evening with them and exchange contact information.

A few weeks later you get in touch with them and tell them how much you enjoyed your time together and you'd like to see them again.

If you haven't heard from them in a few weeks are you really going to contact them again? Most people would say no because they know this is annoying to receive unwanted attention.

If you're the kind of person who says yes you would continue to contact them and forceyour attentions upon them, then you have a lot bigger problems in life than getting a residency interview.

This is also why residency programs only offer second looks after interviews. If they had you come back for a third look, interviewees might think they're going to get more than the program is ready to commit to.

Reactions: 2 users
This is the $64,000 question.

To be honest, I do not answer my phone when I don't recognize the number. I don't want to tell an applicant that their application has been reviewed and we're not going to interview them, and I cannot tell a lie because anyone will see through it. I prefer no contact because the PD has already decided who to invite and those invitations have been sent. But, that's me and I have a large program.

However, I think email is better than a phone call because the PC or PD, as mentioned above, can respond when they have a chance. And do not email again if you have not heard back from them. Believe me, you have no idea what is happening in the PC's world. For example, I manage multiple programs and some days the program going through interviews has to take a back seat while I deal with an issue in another program.

Freddie
Residency Program Coordinator

Reactions: 5 users
I matched at a program that I requested an interview from. It potentially could help if you don't come off as an entitled prick in the process.