EMDR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EEGNeurofeedback

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find the recent discussion on the Psychiatry forum regarding EMDR. But, I just wanted to add this to it: EMDR is not only done with the eyes. It can also be done by holding a small node (oval) in each hand, and the nodes vibrate one at a time taking turns in each hand.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like this will evolve until the patient is holding two cans connected to an e-meter. ;)

I'm JK. I have heard EMDR works. My therapist says that it works but that he doesn't know why. And even though I am kidding, it does sound a little bit like auditing in Scientology.

I couldn't find the recent discussion on the Psychiatry forum regarding EMDR. But, I just wanted to add this to it: EMDR is not only done with the eyes. It can also be done by holding a small node (oval) in each hand, and the nodes vibrate one at a time taking turns in each hand.
this is how i am used to doing it - holding the nodes, watching lights that go back and forth, and listening to this.. idk how to describe it - it sounds like humming almost that switches from left to right ear. the machine looks like this:
eyemachine.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a psychologist who uses EMDR therapy as my primary psychotherapy treatment and I've also personally had EMDR therapy for anxiety, panic, grief, and "small t" trauma. As a client, EMDR worked extremely well and also really fast. As an EMDR therapist, and in my role as a facilitator who trains other therapists in EMDR therapy (certified by the EMDR International Association and trained by the EMDR Institute, both of which I strongly recommend in an EMDR therapist) I have used EMDR therapy successfully with panic disorders, PTSD, anxiety, depression, grief, body image, phobias, distressing memories, bad dreams, and other problems. It's a very gentle method with no significant "down-side" so that in the hands of a professional EMDR therapist, there should be no freak-outs or worsening of day-to-day functioning. EMDR therapy has been empirically validated in over 24 randomized studies of trauma victims. An additional 24 studies have demonstrated positive effects for the eye movement component used in EMDR therapy.

One of the initial phases (Phase 2) in EMDR therapy involves preparing for memory processing or desensitization (memory processing or desensitization - phases 3-6 - is often what is referred to as "EMDR" which is actually an 8-phase method of psychotherapy). In this phase resources are "front-loaded" so that you have a "floor" or "container" to help with processing the really hard stuff, as well as creating strategies if you're triggered in everyday life. In Phase 2 you learn a lot of great coping strategies and self-soothing techniques which you can use during EMDR processing or anytime you feel the need.

In phase 2 you learn how to access a "Safe or Calm Place" which you can use at ANY TIME during EMDR processing (or on your own) if it feels scary, or too emotional, too intense. One of the key assets of EMDR therapy is that YOU, the client, are in control NOW, even though you weren't in the past, during traumatic events. You NEVER need re-live an experience or go into great detail, ever! You NEVER need to go through the entire memory. YOU can decide to keep the lights (or the alternating sounds and/or tactile pulsars, or the waving hand, or any method of bilateral stimulation that feels okay) going, or stop them, whichever helps titrate — measure and adjust the balance or "dose" of the processing. During EMDR processing there are regular "breaks" and you can control when and how many but the therapist should be stopping the bilateral stimulation every 25-50 passes of the lights to ask you to take a deep breath and say just a bit of what you're noticing, anything different, any changes. The breaks help keep a "foot in the present" while you're processing the past. Again, and I can't say this enough, YOU ARE IN CHARGE so YOU can make the process tolerable. And your therapist should be experienced in the EMDR therapy techniques that help make it the gentlest and safest way to detoxify bad life experiences and build resources.

Grounding exercises are essential. You can use some of the techniques in Dr. Shapiro's new book "Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR." Dr. Shapiro is the founder/creator of EMDR but all the proceeds from the book go to two charities: the EMDR Humanitarian Assistance Program and the EMDR Research Foundation). The book is an easy read, helps you understand what's "pushing" your feelings and behavior, helps you connect the dots from past experiences to current life. Also gives lots of really helpful ways that are used during EMDR therapy to calm disturbing thoughts and feelings.

It's not a cure-all therapy, however, it really is an extraordinary psychotherapy and its results last. In the hands of a really experienced EMDR therapist, it's the most gentle way of working through disturbing experiences.

The World Health Organization published Guidelines for the management of conditions that are specifically related to stress. Trauma-focused CBT and EMDR are the only psychotherapies recommended for children, adolescents and adults with PTSD. “…EMDR…treatment involves standardized procedures that include focusing simultaneously on (a) spontaneous associations of traumatic images, thoughts, emotions and bodily sensations and (b) bilateral stimulation that is most commonly in the form of repeated eye movements. Like CBT with a trauma focus, EMDR aims to reduce subjective distress and strengthen adaptive beliefs related to the traumatic event. Unlike CBT with a trauma focus, EMDR does not involve (a) detailed descriptions of the event, (b) direct challenging of beliefs, (c) extended exposure, or (d) homework.”

What the point of moving your eyes back and forth? Is there credible neuroscience evidence for this as a mechanism of change (not Shapiro)? Whats the explanatory model? Is there independent evidence supporting it?

What the point of moving your eyes back and forth? Is there credible neuroscience evidence for this as a mechanism of change (not Shapiro)? Whats the explanatory model? Is there independent evidence supporting it?

Why don't you try moving your eyes back and forth for the next 24 hours and let us know?