Emergency Med interview invite timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERdoc2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying Emergency Medicine programs. I applied to every single osteopathic EM program (55 total) and 10 MD programs. I sent out 25 applications almost a month ago and the rest last week. So far I have only gotten one interview invite, should I be worried? What is the timeline that these programs send out most of their invites? Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the hard and fast date for AOA programs but a lot of people are interviewing already and a lot of invites have gone out. I'd say it would be worth your while to start thinking about a backup and capitalizing on your connections to try and make things happen. Any red flags on your application? If you have any contacts with EM people in academic circles now would be the time to hit them up and let them know about your situation.

Agree with above. You didn't give any details about your app, but one red flag to me is that you didn't have AOA submitted until less than a month ago. It was available to submit over 2 months ago now, so you are a bit late to the game for AOA.

I don't have stellar stats, but applied 15 AOA, currently have 7 interviews, have been on 1. No ACGME invites yet, applied to 75. My app was complete (minus Level 2 and MSPE) for AOA by the 2nd week.

If I were you, I'd contact an advisor or an EM faculty member to ask for further advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only possible red flag on my application is my step 1 board score, which was just under 500. Step 2 was a small chunk over. I submitted the original application September 1, but am definitely wishing I had done so sooner. Are most programs done offering interviews? Or will there possibly be waves of more?

A step just under 500 is by no means a red flag even though it is slightly below average. If you get invites depends on if you rotated there, your LOR's, etc. You might want to consider adding IM/FM programs as a backup, just so you can avoid scrambling. There's still time, and some programs haven't interviewed at all yet but most have sent out invites. Good luck.