emergency medication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myokard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm now in fifth semestre (the first clinical), and we've microbiology.
I think this subject is quite interesting, although you have to learn every single bacterium^^

What I'm interested since the first semestre:
Which emergency medicals are useful to have?
I'm aware of that I can't get antibiotics or vaccines as a student, but finally I like to purchase useful medication for emergency situations (at least when I'm a physician).

Of course, rabies, for example is not very widespread, but personally I would love to have a vaccine or hyperimmunoglobuline, so that I can help, when someone of my family members or friends (or other persons) was bitten by a bat, or a wild dog. In fact, there is not fast help on site, in every country on earth.
The same would be interesting in cases of pathogens evoking meningitis, like N. meningitidis or pathogens evoking pneumonia.
I simply would like to have emergency medication in situations when someone is in danger, and no one's there to help.
Some of my fellow students told me about a little girl which died of meningitis while being on skiing holidays.
There was a doctor (a tourist), but he had no medication at all.
It would have been so great, if he had a cephalosporine preperation.
Of course, you can't be prepared for every case, but for the most common disease it would be interesting to have emergency medication.

What would you take with you, while on holidays?
What is not to expensive, what is possible to take with, without conservation?
Which antibiotics are the most general to help, in as many as possible cases?

Lots of love,
Myokard

Members don't see this ad.

All of your base are belong to us

Reactions: 3 users
And a working cell phone is probably your most high-yield item

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
When I travel overseas to areas without nearby medical facilities I bring cipro and doxycycline + the standard otc meds for symtomatic tx of minor issues(aspirin, imodium, pepcid, etc).
if I could only bring one abx it would be doxy. it's a magic drug as far as I am concerned. very broad spectrum.