Emergency Medicine 2013-2014 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohands701

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know this is early, but I figured I would start a thread for the students (including myself) applying for emergency medicine in the 2013-14 cycle.

Good luck to all of us! Lets hope we all match at our #1 spots!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I know this is early, but I figured I would start a thread for the students (including myself) applying for emergency medicine in the 2013-14 cycle.

Good luck to all of us! Lets hope we all match at our #1 spots!
Yes, cheers to that!

Does anyone know if they released the SLOR forms yet? Last I checked, they told me they would release them in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they released the SLOR forms yet? Last I checked, they told me they would release them in June.

If you want to look at one just go to the cordem website (although the forms still say 2012-2013). I have found that I never needed to have one myself though when I applied. Each EM rotation I was on I asked the PD for a SLoR, and they sent it to my school and/or ERAS on my behalf. Never touched the form myself.

EM Match 2013-2014? All wings check in.
Red 5 checking in.

EM Match 2013-2014? All wings check in.
Red 5 checking in.

Hahahah :thumbup:

Good luck to all of you applying this cycle! It's agonizing until interviews start rolling in but it'll all be over before you know it.

If you want to look at one just go to the cordem website (although the forms still say 2012-2013). I have found that I never needed to have one myself though when I applied. Each EM rotation I was on I asked the PD for a SLoR, and they sent it to my school and/or ERAS on my behalf. Never touched the form myself.

Thanks NYEMMED! I got word back from cordem that they would be updating that form (whether that means changing the dates or something additional I'm not sure about). The non-PD guys I have currently filling them out were acgme trained but were not aware of the form. Guess I'll let them know when the new SLOR is updated later this month.

2013-2014 EM applicant checking in! Good luck to everyone here :)

Another 2013-14 applicant checking in!

Good luck everyone!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks NYEMMED! I got word back from cordem that they would be updating that form (whether that means changing the dates or something additional I'm not sure about). The non-PD guys I have currently filling them out were acgme trained but were not aware of the form. Guess I'll let them know when the new SLOR is updated later this month.

Good Luck! Just remember SLoRs generally look better coming from a PD, student director, chairman etc.. as with any LOR. Also try to rotate through an EM with a residency and be sure to have the PD fill out a SLoR.

Best of luck to everyone! I remember being in your shoes last year. If anyone has any questions about Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, feel free to send me a PM or ask in the thread! Finishing up intern year and have really enjoyed my experience here so far.

Good luck guys! Join a frequent flier program. I racked up so many miles I flew my wife and I to Europe for free.

Same here. I joined a frequent flier, and I joined the equivalent for car rentals. Now I have free flights and free car rentals saved for a future vacation.

Good luck people. I was just there a year ago!

I was also in your shoes a year ago. Best of luck to you all!

Any consensus on when to submit ERAS? I know 'early' and 'ASAP' are the buzz words people like to float around. That said, what if I /you/ we don't have our SLORs till the end of September or the end of October?

Any consensus on when to submit ERAS? I know 'early' and 'ASAP' are the buzz words people like to float around. That said, what if I /you/ we don't have our SLORs till the end of September or the end of October?

Submit it as soon as you can click the button to send in your application. If you're off by a couple days or so I would say that it's not likely to hurt you but I would strongly advise you to not wait on the documents. You can send/upload the documents as they become available. Last year when I talked to my school faculty/other programs, it was communicated to me that most programs expect that you may still have a couple documents left to be uploaded when your application is sent in.

Submit it the first day. SLORs can be uploaded later after you submit.

Good luck all. It's a lot of agony but a lot of fun as well. I'm also here if you have any questions and I can't wait to meet some of you at the applicant dinners!

Submit when it opens as most programs look at apps on first come first serve basis. I submitted right after it opened and received 3 interviews before my friend got his first, and he submitted 1 day later than mine. ( same grades... etc)

You can submit and then add any COMLEX/ USMLE scores later along with SLoRs and LoRs. But keep in mind many EM programs will NOT consider your application until it is complete (I.E. everything is in). Many programs only offer 40-80 interviews so if you arent one of the first 40-80 they decide to give an interview to, your application is over.

Good luck! and get your stuff in ASAP to the opening date.

Good luck! and get your stuff in ASAP to the opening date.

Thanks to all the folks that responded. The submission date is September 15th?

Just checking in, also will be applying *broadly* for EM this coming cycle... best of luck to everyone

it happens......:laugh:

all original too. no add ons.

55,000 since your join date works out to about 18-19 posts a day. Dangggggggg

Whats everyone using for supplemental reading at home and/or on rotation? From my searches seems like there is no one consensus on whats good unlike third year rotations..

Whats everyone using for supplemental reading at home and/or on rotation? From my searches seems like there is no one consensus on whats good unlike third year rotations..

I was a big fan of EM Secrets...I also liked EM Basic as a podcast

EM secrets was good. Still use it in residency.

Got my ERAS token today... terrifying.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on the interview trail!

Anyone going to be in Boston in Sept/Oct?

I heard the mini Tintanelli's is good too. Also, I'll occasionally listen to ERCAST on podcasts (love those lectures!).

In other news, The new SLOE is out (Yup they are now Standard Letter of Evaluation).

Anyone gonna be at Case Western in August/September?

Just got my magic token. Scared and excited! I'm rotating at Emory in July and Palmetto in Sept. Anyone else?

I heard the mini Tintanelli's is good too. Also, I'll occasionally listen to ERCAST on podcasts (love those lectures!).

In other news, The new SLOE is out (Yup they are now Standard Letter of Evaluation).

Anyone gonna be at Case Western in August/September?

What do u mean its out? Isn't it just something that the attending fills out? :confused:

Looks likes its just a bit of a change in format for the year. Its funny, it says its called "SLOE" for evaluation since it was "never intended to be a recommendation."

Yea but most places require it to be in the ERAS application under recommendations, so it dosen't matter.

Looks likes its just a bit of a change in format for the year. Its funny, it says its called "SLOE" for evaluation since it was "never intended to be a recommendation."
I don't like the new "SLOE" compared to last year's SLOR. Very small changes but also very key ones. One change that I did like was the addition of the question that goes something like "Are you currently on the committee that determines the final rank list?" in the section that asks what part of their rank list does the letter writer see the applicant ending up. I think that's important to know if someone actually has input on the process or if they just think the applicant is awesome but has no real say in if they will make it on the list and where.
Changes I dislike... the section that allowed the writer to include "One key comment for the ED faculty Eval" has been done away with. Means less feedback for us. Also, they put a word limit (250 words) on the narrative part at the end... again, less feedback for us. Means our letters are becoming even MORE standardized and generic and I'm guessing will be less useful when PDs review them if it's mostly all check boxes. Oh, about the check boxes... in the old one the check boxes for the "qualifications for EM" section pretty much had 4 choice ranging from "outstanding (top 10%)" to "good (lower 1/3)". Now with the new one it has only 3 categories... "Above peers (top 1/3)" or "at level of peers (middle 1/3)" or "below peers (lower 1/3)". Again, narrowing the bar so now the best of the best are thrown in a category with 33% of people instead of 10% of people... blurring the lines of who's great and who's really just good. I think the new changes in the SLOR (or SLOE I guess) are negative changes except the one exception above because they are making it harder for "great" letters to actually mean anything. You can go in and actually KILL your rotation and end up with a letter that won't look much different than the next guy who just did well but wasn't a rock star. I can see that as a negative and that they are moving more towards straight up numbers and check boxes to evaluate people rather than word of mouth and personal vouching for candidates. Oh well, such is the process we're getting into...