Emergency Medicine 2014-2015 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't relate to that feeling at all. Impressed with every single program I interviewed at. Yeah I believe I would enjoy training more at certain programs over others but I don't believe programs 1, 2, and 3 would lead to happiness and all other programs would lead to misery for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't relate to that feeling at all. Impressed with every single program I interviewed at. Yeah I believe I would enjoy training more at certain programs over others but I don't believe programs 1, 2, and 3 would lead to happiness and all other programs would lead to misery for me.

Couples matching is what's doing it to me. I'm happy with my programs but less excited about the idea of spending 3/4 years apart. Still hopeful though.

My boyfriend is an intern, and my first choice is not where he is now... My second and third are near him however. Truth be told, if I were single, my rank list would probably look completely different after my first choice. I guess I'm more anxious because I know that I risked a lot by putting my real first choice 1st even though it may mean that we will live apart for 2 more years... No regrets though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
R3 system shows that 8 positions went unfilled in EM this year, I thought this year was supposed to be more competitive, as far as I am aware there havnt been any unfilled positions for quite a while and the last time it happened was because an entire program lost accredidation so the unfilled positions were actually "fake"

Although, all 8 unfilled are from the "Central Region" so maybe the same situation happened

If I remember correctly there were a few unfilled spots last year.

Unfilled positions does not equal less competitive - I think this year was very different in that many programs were interviewing all the same people etc There's lots of factors involved.
This.

Hey guys, I have a couple questions I was hoping yall could help me out with. I'm a MSIII DO student looking to match ACGME. I scored a 234 on the step one and a 610 on the comlex. Would it hurt me to not take the USMLE step II? Are my scores adequate enough to apply only to ACGME programs?
I had very similar level/step 1 scores as you. I took USMLE Step 2 and it only helped me for sure. I scored in the 240's and multiple places commented on the fact as a DO that I had taken step 2 and had a "solid" score. I could easily tell they appreciated that I took it so they could directly compare me to MD applicants. Unless you take a practice test that shows you scoring poorly, I would 100% recommend taking Step 2 and taking it early.

If I remember correctly there were a few unfilled spots last year.

There were like 12 spots open last year which was unusual because before that there were pretty much no EM spots open after the match for many years. However, a few of them were actually military spots at civilian/military programs or "mistakes" in one way or another. There were a lot of spots (if I remember correctly, 4 to 6) open at Penn State last year too... There is a thread on SDN somewhere about it. I just don't feel like digging...

I matched at Western Michigan in Kalamazoo, MI! It was my 7th choice because of location but it is an amazing program and I am super excited! I rotated there and loved it. :)

Congrats to everyone that matched today! I hope you got your top choices!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post my experiences here. I remember starting at SDN as a pre-med and freaking out because of the pre-med forums. Fast forward a few years later, I matched to my #1 choice! Thank God that I matched. This whole process has taught me so much and I've grown a lot. Even if I didn't match, God would still be good! I grew up in a very poor household--my mom was an immigrant, dad was a deadbeat. I vividly remember one day looking for pennies in the couch and under chairs so we could buy a gallon of milk. I was the first person in my family to go to a four-year college and worked the whole way through. My pre-med advisor told me I would never get into medical school and to consider another career choice. Hard work, a positive attitude and surrounding yourself with the right people will get you where you need to go.

Step score was 230+ and class rank was top third. DO student. Applied very broadly, received 9 allopathic interviews and a waitlist plus 10+ osteopathic interviews. I think if I had taken both steps, I would have gotten more MD interviews. For students thinking about aways, I would definitely put a lot of thought into these. Be strategic about it--was asked why on several interviews. Find a good mentor (my school sucked in advising) or people in the specialty that you can get advice from. Don't compare yourself to others--it will only drive you mucho loco, especially when analyzing (or overanalyzing) the interview thread and ROL lists. This whole process seems really random sometimes! Be honest with yourself about your strengths and weaknesses. Also, if you have a bajillion invites, don't hold onto them for obscene amounts of time.

Above all, be kind to each other (i.e. don't be a douchebag). You will see the same people over and over again. They are going through the same thing as you.

Thank you God! He is good!

Reactions: 8 users
Matched my #1 program! University of Tennessee-Memphis!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone!

I found posts like these useful last year so I would like to start the following...

Applied 40+
Invited 25ish
Interviewed 15
Ranked 15
Matched #1

Took Step 2 CK and CS in December. Step 1 high 230s. Good to great letters.

My #1 ended up being a complete surprise. Keep an open mind and ignore SDN/Doximity rankings/hearsay/BS and the allure of name-brand programs. In short, don't drink the Kool Aid.

Also found these helpful, so thought I'd add mine. Stats: Step 1 210's, Step 2 240's, 1 home/2 aways, EM poster/abstract, non-traditional.

Applied: 60
Invited: 21
Interviewed/Ranked: 14
Matched: #1 !

Congratulations to everyone who Matched today!!

Congrats everyone!

DO here, step 1~250, step 2~270, ranked #1 in class, honored 2 aways, former EMS and ED tech, QA/QI projects during med school

Applied to about 30, 14 interviews, attended and ranked them all

got my #1

Congrats everyone!

DO here, step 1~250, step 2~270, ranked #1 in class, honored 2 aways, former EMS and ED tech, QA/QI projects during med school

Applied to about 30, 14 interviews, attended and ranked them all

got my #1

Now you made me curious... Where did you match? If you dont mind me asking.

Top 20 allopathic school. Third quartile, Step 1 210s, Step 2 240s, quality of SLOEs/LORs unknown, 10 publications. CS/CK results in by October. Applied to 90, offered 25 interviews, took and ranked 15, matched at #12.

My conclusion is that numbers matter a lot. But I am satisfied, and I would gladly have gone to any program where I interviewed.

Last edited:
Top 20 MD school. Third quartile, Step 1 210s, Step 2 240s, quality of SLOEs/ROLs unknown, 10 publications. Applied to 90, offered 25 interviews, took and ranked 15, matched at #12.

My conclusion is that numbers matter a lot. But I am satisfied, and I would gladly have gone to any program where I interviewed.

First of all, congratulations to the whole match class. I look forward to seeing and working with you all.

Second - Yep... this fella has it right. "I would have gladly gone to any program where I interviewed."

Welcome to the machine, folks.

I matched to my first choice! It's my home program and although I kept an open mind, I still liked them best after all was said and done. Plus, my husband has a job here he loves and we've built a life for ourselves here, complete with friends who are locals. Bonus, my best med school friend matched here as well in a different program, so we get to stay together, too!

Step 1: 220s
Step 2: 230s/Pass (took in July/August)
Honored home rotation, high pass at away. Middle of my class in terms of grades overall. Was told during interviews I had very strong SLOEs. All I had for med school research was a poster presentation.

Applied to ~70 due to being paranoid, despite knowing where my top choice would most likely be. Got around 25 invites. Went on 13. Ranked 'em all.

To say I'm thrilled would be an understatement.

Landed my #1. West Coast bound. Congrats everyone

Last edited:
DO applicant, ranked about the middle of the class, USMLE 240/260. Had some EMIG leadership and light research experience. Applied with 2 SLOE's in and an ICU letter then added a 3rd SLOE later in the interview season. Applied to 60, received 30 invites, ultimately attended 11. Matched to my number 1!

Advice for future DO applicants applying ACGME - try and have as complete of an application as possible when you apply (ie get early letters and take step 2 early). Apply broadly but shoot for the stars!

Congrats everyone! See 14 of you around the end of June!

Anyone know what happened at Toledo that they only matched 2/7?

Seriously ?!?!

I'm a UT grad. Someone, please spill on this. The program was freaking bomb-diggity when I left. I know that 'one spot' was reserved for a foreign program, and they do sign FMGs/IMGs outside the match

Seriously ?!?!

I'm a UT grad. Someone, please spill on this. The program was freaking bomb-diggity when I left. I know that 'one spot' was reserved for a foreign program, and they do sign FMGs/IMGs outside the match

Current resident at University of Toledo. Match day was a surprise to us all, matching only 2/7 spots didn't seem possible considering quality and number of applicants interviewed. Plus, our program has always filled every year and apparently somewhat early in the ROL. PD and chairman called NRMP to figure out went wrong. Our program participates in the Saudi Arabian Cultural Match as do about 20 other EM programs. Apparently our list read as full as soon as our SACM match filled. It was a glitch in the system. It was confirmed as there were several students that we ranked in our match list that did not match at all. Unfortunate for all involved, but nothing that NRMP could do.

No one is signed outside the match.

Agree with RustedFox. Program is excellent. Great new PD. Only getting better.

Current resident at University of Toledo. Match day was a surprise to us all, matching only 2/7 spots didn't seem possible considering quality and number of applicants interviewed. Plus, our program has always filled every year and apparently somewhat early in the ROL. PD and chairman called NRMP to figure out went wrong. Our program participates in the Saudi Arabian Cultural Match as do about 20 other EM programs. Apparently our list read as full as soon as our SACM match filled. It was a glitch in the system. It was confirmed as there were several students that we ranked in our match list that did not match at all. Unfortunate for all involved, but nothing that NRMP could do.

No one is signed outside the match.

Agree with RustedFox. Program is excellent. Great new PD. Only getting better.

Man that sucks for the folks that could have possibly matched at your program. It also makes you wonder why the wait for the release of where applicant will go in July takes so long.

The unfortunate glitch in the match system that happened to Toledo is unacceptable. It should always raise a red flag when more than 1 space is open at any semi-competitive or competitive residency and trigger an investigation to ensure that a glitch did not occur. They had 2 1/2 weeks to check their work before releasing the you have matched emails.

I was very surprised when I ended up below toledo on my rank list and found out the there were 5 spots available. I didn't think I did anything at or before the interview that would have caused me not to be placed on their rank list at all.

With that being said, I really liked the program I ended up matching at and only had it lower on my list due to preferences of my SO to be at a program in a larger city and closer to family.

DO student.
Barely made it into 2nd quartile.
Level 1 600, step 1 235
Level 2 618, step 2 241
Two pubs, several posters, one nearly published book
EMIG local chapter leadership
Former paramedic

Applied 14 AOA, received 8 invites, attending 1, then withdrew
Applied ~90 ACGME, received 15 invites, 1 waitlist, attended 14

Matched my #2. My number 1 was a top tier program that hasn't taken a DO in the past 15 years, but I received honors on my SLOE, and hoped I had a shot. However, I actually liked my #2 better (ranked it lower due to my soon to be wife's preference), and am thrilled to be going there.

Also of note, I applied a ton of places, but the vast majority were mid to upper tier programs in major (popular) cities, which was mainly done with my fiancee's career in mind. I THINK I would have received more interviews if I applied to more rural areas and to programs more traditionally DO friendly.

Probably the key to going acgme for DO's is to take the USMLE and do well (received multiple positive comments on the trail that I had chosen to take both exams), AND get awesome SLOE's from places with name recognition. I had several interviewers say something like "I see you went to insert-big-program-name and did very well".

It's been a journey, so happy with the result.

wow still cant believe there was a mistake, this mistake does not only affect toledo but possibly everyone in the match who did not get their first choice, while i am happy where i matched and know i earned where i am going, i still kind of want my money back from nrmp, i feel like they owe us that much

For what its worth....

USIMG (Carib school)
215+/235+
MPH and public health work/research prior to med school
Leadership in campus EMIG
3 EM Rotations, 3 SLOEs and 1 EM LOR

Applied to 81 EM programs, invitations to 8, waitlisted at 1, interviewed at 7 (couldn't go to one due to finances). Ranked 7.

Matched at #1.

I knew that being a Carib grad would make it more challenging to match, as well as my less than awesome Step 1 score. I tried my best to make up for it with Step 2 and I'm glad I improved.

Reactions: 5 users
DO student here. Average board score. Good Letter and Good Personal Statement. Hope some of you can help me with my Qs.

1. How many DO programs and MD programs should I apply?
2. How many interview invites are promising?
3. What factors do you consider in opting out from the D.O Match and go with M.D Match?

Thanks

DO student here. Average board score. Good Letter and Good Personal Statement. Hope some of you can help me with my Qs.

3. What factors do you consider in opting out from the D.O Match and go with M.D Match?

Thanks

Did you take USMLE?

The number of programs you *should* interview at is the same as the number of programs you are invited to interview at. The NRMP's Charting Outcomes data will tell you that as an Independent Applicant, you want to aim for ~10-15 interviews for > 90% probability of matching. How many you actually need is a function of: your application, your risk tolerance, your preferences in programs (and how many interviews you get!).

The factors which you *ought* to consider varies from person-to-person. All things being equal (no offense to those at AOA programs), ACGME programs are generally going to be...better. They tend to be better funded, in more desirable locations, have a greater diversity of fellowship/niche opportunities, greater pathology. This is not true for specific AOA vs. ACGME program comparisons though; just a broad generalization.

Finally, the last factor I considered is how I was going to be boarded. Obviously, AOA programs are ABOEM and ACGME are ABEM. Who knows if one is better than another, but I chose ACGME because the thought of a lifetime of board recertification exams with Chapman's points, viscerosomatics, or cranial on it was too much to bear. In addition, getting AMA approved CME hours is easier (for ABEM certification) than AOA approved ones. Add to that some of the above characteristics and I chose to go ACGME.

tl; dr

1. Enough.
2. A lot.
3. Personal ones.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait, OMM is on ABOEM recert? That changes everything.

Last edited:
I would assume so, as OMM is a core osteopathic practice. Disclaimer: only a resident.

I have been told there are questions with it integrated on there but they are minimal in number. Let me say I didn't see any on our inservice last year though.

Thanks
1. search on my name and I've written plenty of threads about this
2. as many as possible. I am a DO, completed abem residency and fellowship. I can't remember the website off hand but it gives the stats of DO/MD/IMG that enters specialty x each year. it's always an uphill battle for DO's to enter acgme
3. also I wrote a bunch on this. but now with 1 caveat. starting this year they're combing md/do residency with total integration 2020? I don't remember the exact year but that's the plan. I am not sure how this will change board certification but like the previous posts stated. getting cme is easy, you can even do them on line or out of a magazine. even as simple as attending your hospitals meetings. catagory aoa-1 on the other hand is a pain in the ass which usually requires physically attending (i actually mean signing in/out like board exams) some expensive DO course. by the way it's also required to attend these courses for license renewal regardless of your residency choice, you just need more for board certication

1. search on my name and I've written plenty of threads about this
2. as many as possible. I am a DO, completed abem residency and fellowship. I can't remember the website off hand but it gives the stats of DO/MD/IMG that enters specialty x each year. it's always an uphill battle for DO's to enter acgme

Is the website FREIDA?