Emergency Medicine 2014-2015 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of November and December off? Do most schools give 4th year students that much time off?
I didn't have a single class from Oct 15th until Jan 1st during my 4th year of medical school. I also finished all my classes by Apr 15th and basically sat on my ass until graduation towards the end of May. The 4th year of medical school is one giant, incredibly expensive vacation with a few audition rotations / BS requirements thrown into the mix.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of November and December off? Do most schools give 4th year students that much time off?
Hell - The school may not "allow" it, but your clerkships and the doctors there most likely dont give a damn. We just talked with our attendings about taking time off, and it was basically an unwritten rule that they wouldn't say a word to the school

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this was the Michigan program mentioned earlier in the thread, but recent invite from St. Mary Mercy Hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if there are new programs opening up this year? I think FAU was thinking about opening a new EM program for 2015, but haven't heard anything since then. On FREIDA, saw Kaiser Permanente, New York Medical College at St Joseph's and University of Tennessee Murfreesboro. Were these new last year or are they new for this year?

U of Missouri -Columbia opened a program last year and it is AWESOME!!! :)

Just looking for advice from current applicants or those who have spoke with last years applicants. Obviously there is more than numbers that go into interview offers but just wondering how my numbers will affect getting my foot in the door. Worked hard this summer to improve on both board exams. D.O. applicant applying to both matches.....
Comlex 1: 556
Comlex 2: 592

USMLE 1: 206
USMLE 2: 232

Just looking for advice from current applicants or those who have spoke with last years applicants. Obviously there is more than numbers that go into interview offers but just wondering how my numbers will affect getting my foot in the door. Worked hard this summer to improve on both board exams. D.O. applicant applying to both matches.....
Comlex 1: 556
Comlex 2: 592

USMLE 1: 206
USMLE 2: 232

I had similar comlex scores and a usmle 1 a little higher, but I didn't take step 2. Got a lot of AOA interviews (more than I could go on) and 6 acgme interviews. Apply very broadly acgme and you should get at least as many interviews as me. AOA you should get a lot of interviews no problem.

Guess I will throw my hat in the ring...

I have received 4 interviews so far, all AOA (one dual accredited). MSU Sparrow, WVSOM Ohio Valley, MSU St. Mary Mercy, and St. Barnabas in the Bronx. I got them all last week, applied within the first hour that ERAS opened for the AOA programs.

I only have my COMLEX 1 and USMLE 1 scores back so far (get my USMLE 2 tomorrow and COMLEX 2 next week hopefully). COMLEX I=553, USMLE I= 212. I applied with a pretty strong SLOE that I got early in 3rd year and an obgyn letter. I am applying very broadly and to a ton of programs. I'm in my first of 5 audition rotations I plan on doing this semester (3 ACGME, one dual accredited and one AOA). Overall, lets just say that I am pretty worried and trying to cover all of my bases...

It's looking like I may only have 3 solid letters of recommendation. Do you need to have 4?

It's looking like I may only have 3 solid letters of recommendation. Do you need to have 4?

From the research I have done on all of the programs (using FREIDA mostly and sometimes the programs website if it wasn't well stated otherwise, though I compiled all of this between Fall and Spring last year), the only ACGME programs that want 4 letters are:

Florida Hospital Medical Center
Virginia Commonwealth University
Hackensack University

Last edited:
For programs on ERAS with two boxes to click - ie Sparrow Hospital/MSU has EM/SACM C1 (categorical) & EM C0 (Categorical) - what is the difference between these two? Are you supposed to click both to apply?

Thank you!

ok so I guess how bad is it if I only have one SLOR and would the program that I am canceling the rotation at hold it against me you think? I'm trying to figure it out a way to keep it but I really don't think im gonna be able to which sucks

i'm a DO student btw, so no home program

I've heard that cancelling rotations does not look good. What at your school is making you have to cancel it? Can you not figure out a way to make it work - send someone a letter who is higher up at your school and get permission (tell them your career depends on it)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 2 CK scheduling advice for an EM applicant... My test is scheduled for Aug 25th. My step 1 was a 239. I took the UWSA yesterday got a 226. I'm thinking this could've been a bad practice day, but most claim that UWSA is frighteningly predictive. Should I postpone to avoid a possible downtrend? I have 700 UW questions left and may not be able to finish. I have an elective in September with a little downtime, and one in October with a LOT of off time. (For background - I'm a US student, middle of class with 50/50 clinical honors/high pass, no red flags.)

Is Step 2 important for getting interview invites, or just important to have in before rank time? I feel that the "take it early and you'll do better" strategy may not apply if you haven't finished UW, but I also understand it looks confident to have Step 2 in before interviews. Any good suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Its always good to have a 4th but very few require it and like someone else said, outside of SLOEs not a ton of attention is paid to nonSLOEs (unless it says you're an arse or something bad)

Step 2 CK scheduling advice for an EM applicant... My test is scheduled for Aug 25th. My step 1 was a 239. I took the UWSA yesterday got a 226. I'm thinking this could've been a bad practice day, but most claim that UWSA is frighteningly predictive. Should I postpone to avoid a possible downtrend? I have 700 UW questions left and may not be able to finish. I have an elective in September with a little downtime, and one in October with a LOT of off time. (For background - I'm a US student, middle of class with 50/50 clinical honors/high pass, no red flags.)

Is Step 2 important for getting interview invites, or just important to have in before rank time? I feel that the "take it early and you'll do better" strategy may not apply if you haven't finished UW, but I also understand it looks confident to have Step 2 in before interviews. Any good suggestions are appreciated.

I took it very late. Received way more interview invites than I could attend. Lost at least one invite due to lack of CK. If you're not ready to take it, wait and do it later.

I didn't finish Uworld and did fine. Took the UWSA and it predicted 13 points lower than my actual score a week later.

I can say that having Step 2 CK/CS out of the way takes a huge burden off my shoulders for the year. It makes focusing on your current rotations much more easier.

I didn't finish Uworld and did fine. Took the UWSA and it predicted 13 points lower than my actual score a week later.

I can say that having Step 2 CK/CS out of the way takes a huge burden off my shoulders for the year. It makes focusing on your current rotations much more easier.
This. I'm doing the same thing, taking it tomorrow. Ready to walk out of it and not have to worry about how much non-EM-related I am moving to the darkest, cobwebbiest corners of my memory. Start first EM sub-i the next day.

Hi all, not sure if this is the appropriate location for this, but my other half and I are both applying to EM this year and we're having trouble deciding how many programs to apply to. Wondering if anyone has any advice to contribute.

Both of us have senior AOA, step 1 >235, step 2 >260, lots of extracurriculars at an average medical school. Honors for majority of clerkships. One has lots of publications (not in EM) from a prior research career. The other has some EM and other non-EM research (no journal article publications, just conferences), but worked EMS prior to med school. We are both personable and have good interview skills. EM rotations are ongoing, so no grades yet, but they seem to be going very well. SLOEs are in the works, but other letters are strong.

Most of the programs we are looking at are in the west, but we are also looking around the country. Ideally we would love to find exceptional training, outdoor access, and affordable cost of living.

We're aware of the NRMP match data, but looking for advice on applying that to a couples match in an increasingly competitive specialty.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Hey guys im starting an away rotation at my top choice in october. I already have one SLOE and 4 other EM departmental letters.

My question is, is this too late for a SLOE? Come sept 15, should I submit only 3 letters in anticipation of getting one more SLOE? Or just go ahead and submit 4 letters?

Hey guys im starting an away rotation at my top choice in october. I already have one SLOE and 4 other EM departmental letters.

My question is, is this too late for a SLOE? Come sept 15, should I submit only 3 letters in anticipation of getting one more SLOE? Or just go ahead and submit 4 letters?
Not at all. We know that students cannot possibly have all a fully complete packet by 9/15. We have away students in October and even November and we will be writing SLOE for them. It's common practice. Submit what you have and make sure your letter writers update as soon as they are able.

Not at all. We know that students cannot possibly have all a fully complete packet by 9/15. We have away students in October and even November and we will be writing SLOE for them. It's common practice. Submit what you have and make sure your letter writers update as soon as they are able.

If a student has 2 SLOEs in already, would you recommend they wait for a October/November rotation SLOE, or would they be better off submitting a strong LOR from another specialty that they could send on 9/15?

Thanks for your reply. Would your advice then be to submit 3 letters to leave a spot open for a SLOE later? or is there a way to send a 5th letter later on?

How important is it to have time off during the October-November time period (DO student, so that's interview season)? Will most interviews be single day events that I can just take a day off my rotation?

I'm still unsure how many interviews I plan to accept - I have an unofficial promise to match from my top choice program, with positive responses from my #2 program as well.

I'm still unsure how many interviews I plan to accept - I have an unofficial promise to match from my top choice program, with positive responses from my #2 program as well.
The usual advice here is to act like you never heard them say anything, as they aren't bound whatsoever to their word.

The usual advice here is to act like you never heard them say anything, as they aren't bound whatsoever to their word.
Those promises mean nothing. What if they find people they like more than you down the road? Hint - They'll drop your ass.

Yeah do not believe what you hear, speaking from experience.

This means absolutely nothing. I can't even begin to count the number of stories I've seen firsthand, secondhand and here on SDN where someone was "promised a spot" and then didn't match there.

As an AMG, it takes about 10-12 ranked programs on average to have a >97% chance of matching (according to the most recent data I've seen). I felt like my number 1 place went very well and that I had a great audition with them but I still wound up going on 10 interviews and ranking all of them. I ranked number 1. If I had it to do all over again, I would still go on all 10 interviews. There's a difference between confident and cocky.

I couldn't find "current residents" on their website. Do you know approx. how many DOs they have? Thank you!

We are all MDs this year but I think that was just random. I know they interviewed quite a bit of DOs last application cycle

Hey guys. Im debating about somethin and i was hoping to get some feedback. Option 1 is to be complete by sep 15 with two good fm/im letters and two MD sloes (with honors) or option 2 is wait 3 to 4 weeks to hand in a high pass sloe from a DO program instead of the IM letter? Im a DO student unlikely to complete the DO match since i only applied 10 Aoa but will apply 50 acgme programs. Thanks in advance! Also the DO sloe is not from a well known program like Lehigh or doctors. The IM letter is just from a third year rotation somewhere in upstate new york but definitely a great letter

Hey ya'll....I have a question about SLOEs as well. I will have 2 SLOEs (one high pass from a well known PD and the other honors) and one EM LOR for my application, but so far only 1 SLOE will hopefully be available on the 15th. The program uploaded it after the Sept 1 deadline and it is still unavailable in ERAS. I have been trying to politely stalk the other program and my EM LOR writer with no response. I'm freaking out. How bad will it be to just have just one (high pass, but well known) SLOE on the 15th? If it's even available because it still hasn't shown up....and that's the real reason why I'm writing this post?

Hey ya'll....I have a question about SLOEs as well. I will have 2 SLOEs (one high pass from a well known PD and the other honors) and one EM LOR for my application, but so far only 1 SLOE will hopefully be available on the 15th. The program uploaded it after the Sept 1 deadline and it is still unavailable in ERAS. I have been trying to politely stalk the other program and my EM LOR writer with no response. I'm freaking out. How bad will it be to just have just one (high pass, but well known) SLOE on the 15th? If it's even available because it still hasn't shown up....and that's the real reason why I'm writing this post?

I had one SLOR and 2 regular LORs in on the 15th. I didn't have my second SLOR in until early October. I did just fine in the match. You're going to be fine.

What about my early good IM
letter vs possible late subpar sloe dilemma? Lol

Last edited:
I have everything but an SLOE. I have an elective scheduled in EM starting mid- Sept at location that does not offer EM Residency. I'm not sure what to do now. Are there programs out there that don't absolutely require the SLOE? Are my hopes of applying to EM futile at this point?

I would change that elective to anywhere you can get into that can write you a SLOE. It's a very important part of your application these days.

SLOEs are pretty much part of every programs requirements. Some want 2 SLOEs, and some will be alright with just one. They may go on a case by case basis for this of course, but I would not go into applying without one because it can weed you out of the pile of applications that they deem complete enough to be invited for an interview. I know one resident I met that changed to EM in November of his 4th year and didn't have any SLOEs... However he only got interviews at the places he rotated in Nov and Dec. As the poster said above, change that EM rotation to a place that has an EM residency so you can get that essential letter.

Hey guys. Im debating about somethin and i was hoping to get some feedback. Option 1 is to be complete by sep 15 with two good fm/im letters and two MD sloes (with honors) or option 2 is wait 3 to 4 weeks to hand in a high pass sloe from a DO program instead of the IM letter? Im a DO student unlikely to complete the DO match since i only applied 10 Aoa but will apply 50 acgme programs. Thanks in advance! Also the DO sloe is not from a well known program like Lehigh or doctors. The IM letter is just from a third year rotation somewhere in upstate new york but definitely a great letter

Comments about this yall? :)

Send out on-time no matter what.
It will be on time either way. Im just wondering if i should add on a high pass sloe from a DO program a few weeks later or just use an IM letter on Monday and be done with it

My opinion is wait and send in the DO sloe when it comes. Were you told that it is going to be high pass? I talked to a program director once who put it a good way; she said while it's nice to see off service LoR's, she has never seen one that has been critical at all, or been anything but a glowing review of the applicant. In that sense they have a hard time putting non-EM letters to any use since the they will all be fantastic.

My opinion is wait and send in the DO sloe when it comes. Were you told that it is going to be high pass? I talked to a program director once who put it a good way; she said while it's nice to see off service LoR's, she has never seen one that has been critical at all, or been anything but a glowing review of the applicant. In that sense they have a hard time putting non-EM letters to any use since the they will all be fantastic.

Last edited:

no I wasn't told anything. I have only gotten maybe 3 evals that were upper 5. One was expected 4th year level, the rest upper 25%. So I don't know. I think im a little burnt out. I just don't want to taint my 2 honors SLOE from 2 respected MD programs by mixing in an average SLOE from a DO program when I will likely skip the AOA match. I smoked the shelf but I think evals are worth more

no I wasn't told anything. I have only gotten maybe 3 evals that were upper 5. One was expected 4th year level, the rest upper 25%. So I don't know. I think im a little burnt out. I just don't want to taint my 2 honors SLOE from 2 respected MD programs by mixing in an average SLOE from a DO program when I will likely skip the AOA match. I smoked the shelf but I think evals are worth more
I'm gonna bump your question because I have a very similar one.

I have two MD SLOE's from good programs where I honored the rotation and received good feedback. I also have a 3rd year DO SLOE where I received high pass. My only other letters are from a psych rotation that I honored where the attending (and assistant PD) directly offered to write a LOR. And, one from a new attending at a program I also have a SLOE from.

So I have a question. I just got by home EM grade back and got an A (we're on the H, A, B, C, F scale), they told me I was 2 points away from honors. My end of clerkship feedback was all glowing comments with nothing negative. Is this gonna hurt me too bad on my application? I'm otherwise a fairly solid applicant with around a 250 on step 1 and step 2, top quartile in my class and I'm working hard to honor my away EM rotation at the moment. I know that EM PD's look hard at EM clerkship grades so I'm worried at least a little that the non-honors grade may hurt me.

So I have a question. I just got by home EM grade back and got an A (we're on the H, A, B, C, F scale), they told me I was 2 points away from honors. My end of clerkship feedback was all glowing comments with nothing negative. Is this gonna hurt me too bad on my application? I'm otherwise a fairly solid applicant with around a 250 on step 1 and step 2, top quartile in my class and I'm working hard to honor my away EM rotation at the moment. I know that EM PD's look hard at EM clerkship grades so I'm worried at least a little that the non-honors grade may hurt me.

I've asked a couple PDs about this and they all have the same answer - it's less about H or HP and more about the content of the SLOE. And some programs have a policy that doesn't allow them to give out Honors but you can still get an awesome SLOE with HP or A in your situation.

I've asked a couple PDs about this and they all have the same answer - it's less about H or HP and more about the content of the SLOE. And some programs have a policy that doesn't allow them to give out Honors but you can still get an awesome SLOE with HP or A in your situation.
No honors at all? I've heard of only allowing one or two H per group, but none?

Good luck to all of us! Lets hope we all match at our #1 spots!
6.jpg
7.jpg
9.jpg

can someone tell me the proper format to finalize a letter slot for a SLOE on ERAS
under name do I put: XUniversity - SLOE
or do i put the name of the PD? and should I check any of the boxes about chair this or that, I mean I think the department chair definitely plays a role in writing the letter?
-confused