EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone on here interview at Cook County yet? I have my interview tomorrow but will be missing tonight's social due to flight delay. This would be the first preinterview dinner I miss ao I hope they aren't too hardcore about having to show up.

If you give a legitimate excuse such as travel issues, they can't hold it against you :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone on here interview at Cook County yet? I have my interview tomorrow but will be missing tonight's social due to flight delay. This would be the first preinterview dinner I miss ao I hope they aren't too hardcore about having to show up.

When I interviewed there, the pre-interview dinner had a huge turnout of both residents and applicants (there are usually 30 people interviewing there per day), and it was so crowded and lively that no one would have any idea if anyone wasn't there. It's not a sit-down type of thing, but people are all milling around. So they are definitely not "hardcore" about it.

Has anyone ever received a "thank you" email from a program, essentially thanking you for taking the time to interview with them. It's was personalized to what we talked about during the interview, and it was sent to me first aka didn't send a post interview thank you...don't want to get all giddy if it's a common occurrence lol!!

Has anyone ever received a "thank you" email from a program, essentially thanking you for taking the time to interview with them. It's was personalized to what we talked about during the interview, and it was sent to me first aka didn't send a post interview thank you...don't want to get all giddy if it's a common occurrence lol!!
highland did it

Highland and JHU did it.

Anybody receive a handwritten thank you card in the mail post interview?

Well, after weeks of worrying about my invite numbers I've gotten up to 8 invites, and as I'm riding pubtrans to my 6th interview all I can say to you guys doing 12+ is I don't know how you do it. I'm very ready to be done with this traveling, and am now very happy with my numbers.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, Highland and JHU both sent handwritten notes.

On that note... has anyone received a call from an interviewer?

not sure if sarcastic but i wasn't trying to be. Original person said they got an email but i really did get something in the mail from a program but wasn't sure if others had as well or if this was a standard thing

I've gotten a handful of "love" letters, but they came after I had sent them thank you emails. A couple of them were from PDs, but most others were from faculty and/or chief residents.

And no, I don't think it makes me special. They probably do this for everyone who interviews at those programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes for a fun interview day when the PD is literally on the aspergers spectrum :/ lol

So I found out at one of my interviews that one of the programs I rotated at gave me a lower 1/3 ranking on my SLOE. Never gave me any indications of what I was doing wrong. Is this pretty much a death sentence? Sitting on high single digit interviews still :/

So I found out at one of my interviews that one of the programs I rotated at gave me a lower 1/3 ranking on my SLOE. Never gave me any indications of what I was doing wrong. Is this pretty much a death sentence? Sitting on high single digit interviews still :/

Exact same thing happened to me. Positive verbal feedback on all of my shifts and zip/zero/nada negative comments. Got blindsided by a negative SLOE and now I'm scrambling to get some more interviews. And by "blindsided" I mean I had no idea that they didn't love me until one of my interviewers told me exactly what it said.

"Would not rank" despite high-passing me and inviting me to interview (WTF?)

Totally crappy, and it happens to be one of those programs that everyone on here seems to love. "Two-faced" comes to mind.

Last edited:
I'm heavily involved in our interview committee.. While a neg sloe can hurt you badly, there is an effort to look at the total package. One sloe that hose you in a sea of solid boards, 3 other excellent letters, great grades... We can see an anomaly. My PD always amazes me at they way he can distinguish all the details.

I post this to give you hope that most (not all) programs will do their best to give you a fair shake. With some exceptions, no one part of your app will lock that spot or ban you from a seat.

Happy hunting! And holidays!

Reactions: 1 users
Exact same thing happened to me. Positive verbal feedback on all of my shifts and zip/zero/nada negative comments. Got blindsided by a negative SLOE and now I'm scrambling to get some more interviews. And by "blindsided" I mean I had no idea that they didn't love me until one of my interviewers told me exactly what it said.

Totally crappy, and it happens to be one of those programs that everyone on here seems to love. To say I'm p***ed off is the understatement of the year.

Are you a DO that rotated at an ultra competitive program?

I got straight up rejected from a program that I rotated at that apparently gave me a great sloe. Also, I've been told all my sloes are good and I'm still struggling to get interviews if it makes anyone feel better.

This is maybe directed to the current residents or anyone who knows lol. When are final rank lists usually completed by the programs? I know technically the rank list deadline for students and programs are both feb 24th. But do programs generally have their list completed and put into the nrmp before that said deadline? I guess the reason why I'm curious is I have a 2 papers that are pending publication into a fairly decent American medical journal, but I won't get the final approval until Feb 5th, and wanted to update these programs if I do get approved lol (fingers crosses). Is it pointless to update them that late bc rank lists are pretty much submitted by late January and rarely move even with new info from applicants?

At that point, it's not going to change your rank a whole lot. It won't hurt to update them on this, but probably won't help.

At our program, we have a rank list meeting with any attending a and residents who want to attend in early February. After this, it's basically the PD and maybe the APD's mulling over the list and maybe making a few minor adjustments, but overall it's set after the big meeting.
I guess my follow up question to this (and I'm sure it's different for most programs) but when is usually that big meeting where they finalize the rank list. My wishful thinking is that it's usually early feb?!

Totally crappy, and it happens to be one of those programs that everyone on here seems to love. "Two-faced" comes to mind.
This happened with me as well. One of my interviewers said one of my SLOEs was great, my non EM letter was also great, and then my second SLOE was mediocre. He asked me to explain it and I just basically said "I don't know" and said I never really got bad feedback or anything to indicate I wasn't doing well. I guess I just hope since I already got an interview that it doesn't matter much.

I have wondered if this happened to me as well just for the fact that at one interview the PD asked me where I thought the program from my second sloe ranked me (top 1/3, bottom 1/3 kinda thing). Why else would he ask this? Anyone else experience this?

I've wanted to know what was in that letter ever since.

I have wondered if this happened to me as well just for the fact that at one interview the PD asked me where I thought the program from my second sloe ranked me (top 1/3, bottom 1/3 kinda thing). Why else would he ask this? Anyone else experience this?

I've wanted to know what was in that letter ever since.

FWIW I kind of had the opposite turnout on a suspect SLOE. I was beginning to think I had one holding me back from getting more interviews than I currently have. It was the only piece of my application that I couldn't "prove" was good, until a PD at a recent interview reassured me that it was indeed a great SLOE. This whole process is just odd.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know what the Crozer-Keystone program intern schedule is going to be?
The PD mentioned 10 hour shifts: 2 morning, 2 afternoon, 2 night, 2 off. He then said it would come to around 17-18 shifts per month depending on the calendar month (170-180 hours per month) . When I count the shifts it comes to 23-24 shifts per month (230-240 hours per month). That's a huge difference...

The PD mentioned 10 hour shifts: 2 morning, 2 afternoon, 2 night, 2 off. He then said it would come to around 17-18 shifts per month depending on the calendar month (170-180 hours per month) . When I count the shifts it comes to 23-24 shifts per month (230-240 hours per month). That's a huge difference...

If you don't get a response, I'm interviewing there 1st week in January. I can help clarify.

Hey fast rack ... Did you get any feedback about the schedule or program?

Edited bc it was whiny.

Last edited:
My interviews are done and now working on my rank list. There were some programs that did not disclose work hours and I did not bother to ask them about the schedule during my interviews. I was wondering if there's a way I can find out the shift hours at different EM programs on this forum? Another silly Q - what is considered the average work hour for the EM per week? It was never my priority Q during interviews but, now that I am ordering the rank, I want to know if I am overworking. 12 hr shifts are not my favorite things.

My interviews are done and now working on my rank list. There were some programs that did not disclose work hours and I did not bother to ask them about the schedule during my interviews. I was wondering if there's a way I can find out the shift hours at different EM programs on this forum? Another silly Q - what is considered the average work hour for the EM per week? It was never my priority Q during interviews but, now that I am ordering the rank, I want to know if I am overworking. 12 hr shifts are not my favorite things.

From my interview info, places with 12's did about 17-18 in their intern year, with each year giving one less shift. So I guess for 12's, expect about 4 shifts a week, with some weeks having 5.

It's a legitimate question, and programs shouldn't give you any crap about this. If you don't feel comfortable emailing the PD (shouldn't be a big deal), you can always e-mail one of the residents that you met.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless your Rutgers where you work 20 12 hour shifts, where residents come to the pre interview dinner looking exhausted and miserable lol ;)!!

Unless your Rutgers where you work 20 12 hour shifts, where residents come to the pre interview dinner looking exhausted and miserable lol ;)!!

Which rutgers?

Also I wanted to share that I recently realized the "blocks" are based on 28 days counting as a month and not typical month-to-month(30-31 days) that you may be factoring in....just a heads up

They usually are in 28 days blocks...and NJMS works like dawgs!!!

Also for the crozer Chester people who wanted clarification on their shift hours, it comes out to 60 hours a week or 240 hours in a monthly calendar not a 28 day per block calendar, regardless their schedule still stinks royally. The faculty were nice but there schedule/hours needs some major adjustment or fine tuning. That's what ya get with a first year program lol. Maimonides, Albany, and Staten Island, and Hackensack from my own Personal experience and from anecdotal evidence have some of the best schedules around.

What's a reasonable/good amount of hours per 28 days or month?

What's a reasonable/good amount of hours per 28 days or month?

On the lower end, I've seen 18/18/18 and 20/18/16 9's and 20/19/18 8's per 28 days. I've also seen 19/18/17 10's per calendar month.

On the higher end, I've seen 18/17/16 12's and 22/21/20 10's per 28 days.

Does anyone know the number of shifts at LAC+USC? Especially intern year, I could not get a straight answer when there.....

is this counting the extra hour on all shifts for clean up ;)
Hahah you mean some programs give you an hour to your shift for clean up ;). But jic it was a serious question I'm assuming that the 205-215 range is strictly "on the books" hours and doesn't include the clean up and time to finish notes etc.

I as well have anywhere from 19/18/17 9s or maybe 18/17/16 up to 22 eight hour shifts in four weeks with only one day having a shift after conference.

Anyone have info on San Antonios schedule?

Mind sharing the worst schedule and the best schedule/shifts in ED you have seen by far? Thanks.