EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Friendly reminder that Rank Order List (ROL) entry beings this Friday, Jan. 15th @ 12:00pm Eastern time. Deadline for registration to the NRMP and ROL certification is Wednesday, Feb. 24th @ 9:00pm Eastern time.

Question: Do you guys/gals think we should start the annual RoL thread sometime next week? I can create an anonymous Google Form for anyone who is concerned of becoming too recognizable by using their SDN account to post this info (higly unlikely, but reading last year's thread I noticed multiple users concerned/paranoid about their anonymity).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
was the consensus that there was a post-christmas slew of interview offers sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the place I interviewed at has 20 12hr shifts for intern (every 4 weeks), then 18 shifts after that... I like the location but that many shifts make me want to :depressed: :dead: and it's a 4 year program too.

what do you think? that's too much?

Friendly reminder that Rank Order List (ROL) entry beings this Friday, Jan. 15th @ 12:00pm Eastern time. Deadline for registration to the NRMP and ROL certification is Wednesday, Feb. 24th @ 9:00pm Eastern time.

Question: Do you guys/gals think we should start the annual RoL thread sometime next week? I can create an anonymous Google Form for anyone who is concerned of becoming too recognizable by using their SDN account to post this info (higly unlikely, but reading last year's thread I noticed multiple users concerned/paranoid about their anonymity).

Rank list opens tomorrow! maybe lets get this started now? really interested to hear other people's takes since everyone on the trail has their poker faces on

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like my list still needs some serious thought, though I definitely have it separated into tiers of preference.

Reactions: 1 users
@wonderbread12, I will be posting the ROL thread tomorrow along with an anonymous Google Form to go with it. I was initially planning to start it earlier but my current elective rotation kept me busier than I anticipated.

For those that did not get the NRMP email today, below is the copy/paste version of it:

Dear Main Residency Match Applicant:

The 2016 Main Residency Match ranking function opens in the Registration, Ranking, and Results system on Friday, January 15, 2016 12:00 PM Eastern Standard Time. Below are reminders and resources to help you through the ranking process.

Important Reminders:
  • Applicants and programs may volunteer how they plan to rank each other; however, it is prohibited to request that information.
  • The NRMP matching algorithm attempts to place you in the highest-ranked program possible, so be sure to rank programs in order of YOUR TRUE PREFERENCE and not where you think you will match.
  • Listing a program on a certified rank order list establishes a binding commitment, so rank only those programs where you interviewed and are willing and able to train.
  • Your final rank order list must be certified by the Rank Order List Deadline on Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:00 PM Eastern Standard Time.

Last edited:
I feel like my list still needs some serious thought, though I definitely have it separated into tiers of preference.
Ditto. I'm really torn about how to rank my EM and EM/IM programs as there were many EM programs I liked more than some of the combos but there's a real appeal in not having to apply for fellowship again in 3 years.

Anyone care to comment on attending second look visits that are paid for/funded by the program? I would attend them all but now that I'm back doing rotations my schedule is pretty limited.

They are fully paid for by the programs (airfare plus accommodations), which makes it really tempting. Not to metion that these are places in my top 5. Also, at one top program one of the residents told me that per his/her PD, going on a second look moved them up in that program's rank list.

They are fully paid for by the programs (airfare plus accommodations), which makes it really tempting. Not to metion that these are places in my top 5. Also, at one top program one of the residents told me that per his/her PD, going on a second look moved them up in that program's rank list.
Lol we are clearly different kinds of candidates if they're willing to pay you to come back.

If you have the time, go for it. But if you're already pretty sure, it seems more stress than it may be worth. And it works both ways, if you were to accidentally somehow make a bad impression, it could sabotage you.

Reactions: 2 users

BEST IDEA EVER!! Is this still happening?

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously tho where are you interviewing at that they are willing to pay for your second look lol...I was lucky enough to get invited to do a first look at most of my programs lol!!!

Seriously tho where are you interviewing at that they are willing to pay for your second look lol...I was lucky enough to get invited to do a first look at most of my programs lol!!!

Agreed. He must be a rockstar applicant applying to some atypical programs.

Not sure what you mean by atypical. In any case, I think a decent number of programs offer fully-funded second look visits each year (although maybe not to every interviewee). I know an applicant who last year was invited back to Vanderbilt with travel and hotel costs covered.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by atypical. In any case, I think a decent number of programs offer fully-funded second look visits each year. I know an applicant who last year was invited back to Vanderbilt with travel and hotel costs covered.
Not one of the 13 I interviewed at (net total of 17 programs) offers to pay for anything. You can come back, but it's on you.

Not one of the 13 I interviewed at (net total of 17 programs) offers to pay for anything. You can come back, but it's on you.

A few times, residents offered up their places to stay if we wanted to do a second look, but travel expenses would still be ours to cover.

You guys are way behind, I already took five looks at all of my top 30 programs. The PDs at most places took me out on the program yachts and we ate caviar and talked about my research. I was underwhelmed by most places but the programs that stood out were the ones that offered to hire me a personal scribe AND give me a reserved parking spot that had BAMF spray-painted on the curb stopper.

Reactions: 8 users
I thought that interns still did 10s and all weekend shifts were 12s?

Pretty sure they were all excited about everyone now being 8's (during EM months at least, can't speak for their off service) ....I just don't remember them talking about # of shifts...do you have any idea?

From what I remember, the weekends are still 12s to maximize number of weekends you would have off

Anyone care to comment on attending second look visits that are paid for/funded by the program? I would attend them all but now that I'm back doing rotations my schedule is pretty limited.

Your experience is so far away from most of us that I can't even relate.

Last edited:
Yeah but thanks to cinematographer for taking the lead this year on the threads. It has been appreciated.

Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else making shift lengths a huge factor in their rank list? The idea of doing all 12s just seems like a beat down, especially multiple days in a row.

Reactions: 3 users
Cinematographer, I may only know by that name and this website...but you seem to be legit/a go getter and deserve your number 1...much respect for leading a lot of things on this site for all the applicants :)

Is anyone else making shift lengths a huge factor in their rank list? The idea of doing all 12s just seems like a beat down, especially multiple days in a row.
I didn't interview anywhere that does all 12s. Seems to be less common these days than in the past... at least from my experience

I'd say at least half of my programs are all 12's and I'm sadly begrudging the thought of working 12's. 9 and 10 hour shifts seem to be the perfect length/days worked to make for a happy well balanced life. Besides the shift length, I'm basing my rank list on the hospitals colored scrubs and whether or not the cafeteria serves good breakfast, it is after all the most important meal of the day :)

Reactions: 4 users
I'd say at least half of my programs are all 12's and I'm sadly begrudging the thought of working 12's. 9 and 10 hour shifts seem to be the perfect length/days worked to make for a happy well balanced life. Besides the shift length, I'm basing my rank list on the hospitals colored scrubs and whether or not the cafeteria serves good breakfast, it is after all the most important meal of the day :)
Imma just say that one of the places i interviewed at... Free food all day every day, as much as you want

I think it matters because 12s become 13s then factor in commute time and it's just a mess if you start doing that day after day. That being said, I've heard that employers want you to have done 12s and going from 12s as resident down to 8s,9s,10s as an attending is much easier/enjoyable than going up in hours

The other thing to consider is that as a PGY1 most of your time might not be in the ED (program dependent) but rather off-service somewhere which could have better or worse hours (anesthesia vs ICU)

Imma just say that one of the places i interviewed at... Free food all day every day, as much as you want
Knowing myself....that could be very dangerous both for me as well as the hospitals budget :)

Knowing myself....that could be very dangerous both for me as well as the hospitals budget :)
Yeah, during the tour they kept trying to give us free energy drinks and whatnot. It was awesome

Hoosier.... U crack me up!

I've done both 8s and 12s and honestly it wasn't a huge factor for me. If anything I'd rather do 12s since you end up with more days off at most places.

FWIW I'd only make it a big factor in my decision if I had already done both and knew I preferred 8s hands down.

You all crack me up. We got a good class of residents coming in. I'll be happy to have any of you in my class

It has become much more of a factor for me as the season has progressed - as I have spoken with residents and reflected upon my own rotation experiences and what matters most to me. On EM rotations, I have done 9's (with overlap for cleanup, allowing us to leave at 9 hours, usually) and 12's without overlap (often led to staying 13 hours). When I was doing 9's, I was able to live my life outside of work every single day. I could drive to a nice park and exercise outside before or after shifts. I could stop at the grocery store afterwards. Heck, I even had time to shower, eat a good dinner, pack a good lunch for my shift, and have a good Skype conversation with the S.O. (I was on an away rotation) before heading into work. I really got to know the city while I was there. When I worked all 12's, it was drive home from the shift, throw a frozen meal in the microwave while I took a quick shower, shovel it down while having a 5-minute, bleary-eyed chat with the S.O. on Skype (another away rotation), and then hit the sack. I found that I got less sleep on this rotation, too, despite doing almost nothing but work and sleep on my days with shifts. My days were crammed full, and I had no time to insert some things I needed or wanted to do without further sacrificing sleep. After several days in a row, I was dying to live my life, lol. I wish I had gotten more time to explore the area.

When talking to residents at social events, it seemed to me that those at programs with shorter shift lengths (9's, 10's) felt like they had more time for themselves (and with their families/kids/spouses) than they thought they would during residency, while at least one resident at a 12-hour shift program told me that he has had less time than he thought he would have (despite having almost half the month "off").

This all really comes down to personal preference, though. Some folks really like having more full days off. Some people like having a little time for themselves every day, even if it may mean fewer full days off. I seem to fall into the latter camp. A few programs on my list that are 12's only are really killing me, because I love the locations and other aspects of the programs, but I am just wondering if being in those awesome locations would be worth possibly dreading going into work...I know, "boo hoo," EM still has one of the kinder schedules for residency, 12's or otherwise, but I think shift length is an important consideration for some people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

It is playing into it for me. I agree with cinclus, I did 3 aways with 9's and I managed to work out regularly, eat well, sleep well, etc. One away did 12s and despite living very close to the hospital I just simply did not have the time or energy to workout and most days ended with me eating at 10pm- it was 8-8 so I would usually be up at 645am to get there by 745ish, I didn't end up getting off until after 830 most nights due to sign out, and this is as a student so no real paperwork to finish up. By the time I left and got home it was 9, cook dinner, eat, wind down for an hour and I was in bed around 1130 without much motivation to study. If you are very motivated you might be able to work some gym time in, study, or cook healthy meals but in most cases if you are doing this 20 shifts a month you are probably going to give up eventually. Not to mention some of your off days will be for transition from day to night or vice versa. I would rather work an extra couple days but have a life the rest of the time. As an atttending working 12-14 shifts a month I might opt for more days off though.

A few programs on my list that are 12's only are really killing me, because I love the locations and other aspects of the programs, but I am just wondering if being in those awesome locations would be worth possibly dreading going into work

this...i keep flip flopping on programs lol

if you are doing this 20 shifts a month you are probably going to give up eventually

what would you guys say then the max number of 12hr shifts reasonable? 15, 18, 20?

this...i keep flip flopping on programs lol

what would you guys say then the max number of 12hr shifts reasonable? 15, 18, 20?

I certainly wouldn't want to do more than 20 12's. Several of the NYC programs I interviewed at do 20 or 21 12's, and it seemed pretty brutal. The residents seemed happy with their programs, but totally exhausted.

I certainly wouldn't want to do more than 20 12's. Several of the NYC programs I interviewed at do 20 or 21 12's, and it seemed pretty brutal. The residents seemed happy with their programs, but totally exhausted.

20 per 28 days, or per calendar month?

20 per 28 days, or per calendar month?

My understanding is that Lincoln and Jacobi do 20 per 28 days, and NYP does 21 per calendar month, at least in PGY1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The horror! That is intense.
That sounds horrible. Boy I'm glad I didn't apply in NYC at all. I'd have to double check but I don't think any of my programs do 12's regularly.

I interviewed at both Lincoln and Jacobi/mont...they are def some of the hardest worked residents around. 20 12hr shifts and it's obviously gonna take its toll on you. Not sure what's going on with the Bronx that they feel the need to work you to the bone lol??