EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1 in dec and 1 in Jan.

Members don't see this ad.

Only 2 invites off wait lists but no new invites in December or January.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 3 programs I got invites from after mid-november were from places I continually begged for interviews from haha

No substantial late season movement for me. Got 1 interview off an interest email in mid-Jan. I actually got a total of three interviews from interest emails (or sheer coincidence) throughout the season, and I didn't blast every program either just five or six. So for next year's applicants, don't underestimate the power of an interest letter. I did notice the invites came pretty quickly after sending emails if they were to come at all.

Reactions: 2 users
hey... I'm an IMG (canadian) with a step 1 score of 226... was wondering if i have a chance at ER with that score?

Dumb question, but oh well.

On the nrmp website:

Application Status: CERTIFIED
Fee Status: Paid
Verification Status: Verified

That's all, right? There aren't any more buttons to click, fees to pay, forms to sign, etc.? Just don't want to be "that guy" who fails to match because he forgot to click that one button on that one drop-down menu on that one NRMP/AAMC/USMLE/ERAS website, lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Dumb question, but oh well.

On the nrmp website:

Application Status: CERTIFIED
Fee Status: Paid
Verification Status: Verified

That's all, right? There aren't any more buttons to click, fees to pay, forms to sign, etc.? Just don't want to be "that guy" who fails to match because he forgot to click that one button on that one drop-down menu on that one NRMP/AAMC/USMLE/ERAS website, lol.
You are good to go my man lol!!! A little bit of that medical student nuerosies surfaces :p, can't blame ya tho, prolly rechecked the nrmp site like 1500 times after my initial certification of my list lol!!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been able to successfully contact LSU in New Orleans? I emailed asking some (thoughtful) questions and received no response. Twice. The PD seemed so nice and genuinely interested in being contacted via email that I find the lack of response concerning.

You are good to go my man lol!!! A little bit of that medical student nuerosies surfaces :p, can't blame ya tho, prolly rechecked the nrmp site like 1500 times after my initial certification of my list lol!!

What do you mean? This is med school. There's always another fee...

Has anyone been able to successfully contact LSU in New Orleans? I emailed asking some (thoughtful) questions and received no response. Twice. The PD seemed so nice and genuinely interested in being contacted via email that I find the lack of response concerning.

Don't you hate that when you didn't have any reply back from your top programs? A couple of programs I absolutely loved did not get back to me right away and I was pretty stressed out. But, I did receive their reply about a week or two later. I guess be patient and they might get back to you before 2/23 or 2/24.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on UT San Antonio vs. UT Houston? I really liked both programs, I'm struggling with fit vs. location.

Don't you hate that when you didn't have any reply back from your top programs? A couple of programs I absolutely loved did not get back to me right away and I was pretty stressed out. But, I did receive their reply about a week or two later. I guess be patient and they might get back to you before 2/23 or 2/24.

Well, it's been almost 2-3 weeks now since I contacted them. Will try again next week.

Four weeks from today is the big day! Not like I'm counting down or anything...

Reactions: 2 users

Haha I agree. I sent my #1 email and got a response ~ 1 week later. It wasn't the most pleasant feeling. Did you send the letter to your top 5? Top 3? I'm beginning to think if I should have sent those to few more programs, not just my #1, but it's a little too late now. Maybe it's me becoming paranoid about every little thing at this point in the game...

Haha I agree. I sent my #1 email and got a response ~ 1 week later. It wasn't the most pleasant feeling. Did you send the letter to your top 5? Top 3? I'm beginning to think if I should have sent those to few more programs, not just my #1, but it's a little too late now. Maybe it's me becoming paranoid about every little thing at this point in the game...
I heard back from my 1, 2 & 4 within 36 hours. Haven't had a reply from #3 in like 2 weeks. Friend who sent them a You're my #1 never heard back as far as I know so it may be program dependent... (only told one program they're my #1)

I heard back from my 1, 2 & 4 within 36 hours. Haven't had a reply from #3 in like 2 weeks. Friend who sent them a You're my #1 never heard back as far as I know so it may be program dependent... (only told one program they're my #1)

Wow congrats on getting such a positive feedback from the programs. Did you use the generic expression (ie. will rank you highly) for your #2-4? I just didn't know how to phrase it right, which held me back from sending more than one letter.

Wow congrats on getting such a positive feedback from the programs. Did you use the generic expression (ie. will rank you highly) for your #2-4? I just didn't know how to phrase it right, which held me back from sending more than one letter.
So I commented on specific things from my interview day or second look that I liked and why I thought it'd be a good fit (in like 1 paragraph... kept it to the point) so it wasn't generic. Expressed that I'd be happy/thrilled/love to match there (genuinely would! My #1 is my #1 because I did an away there and I found myself comparing other programs to it, and then 2- 4 were gut and location), and then said I'd be ranking them very highly. I did not say a #.

My #1 I got a response from the chief and not the PD in full disclosure.

Replies were mostly like "Good to hear from you. Let us know if you have questions. Hope to see you in the future. " no comment on how I was being ranked.
(All my surgery friends are getting calls and emails like We're ranking you highly.)

Replies were mostly like "Good to hear from you. Let us know if you have questions. Hope to see you in the future. " no comment on how I was being ranked.
(All my surgery friends are getting calls and emails like We're ranking you highly.)

Seems typical of surgery; I have surgery-bound friends who have experienced similar.

Can anyone comment on whether interviews came around? Did the late season movement everyone predicted actually happen?

Couple dozen invites late Sept through mid Oct. Then one in Nov and one in Jan. Not much late movement on my end.
n=1

After finding 10/16 underwhelming and getting most my invites in late October and November, I did receive 3 invites between 12/10 and Christmas and then 2 further in the first week of January. I think the pattern of people dumping Jan interviews because of fatigue is beginning to ebb with the growing competitiveness of EM and its "arms-race."

Anybody know the shifts per month or block at the new Crozer-Chester program?

Supposedly crozers schedule is by calendar month with 2 morning 2 mid 2 night then 2 days off.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Any thoughts on cook co vs ACMC? Both seems well respected. I would rather do a 3 year vs 4 year but I feel like Cook co is more nationally known; might be easier to get an academic job after training at cook co?

Any thoughts on UT San Antonio vs. UT Houston? I really liked both programs, I'm struggling with fit vs. location.
UT Houston > UT SA from my experience.

Happy drinking & happy matches to everyone!!! Enjoying me some bushmills q1h till tomorrow.

Hi everyone. Looking for some realistic input here. US MD applicant at a "top 20" medical school, with USMLE Step 1 231, honors in my EM month, 10 interviews scheduled, passed Step 2 CS, but I failed CK with a 204. There were a lot of personal struggles/problems occurring around the exam that I believe led to the failure, including errant input from older classmates telling me you only needed to study 2 weeks for CK, and that CCM would totally prepare me. I am a non-trad med student with a very strong research background, and 3 SLOEs (good from what I was told) from my 1 EM month. I am taking Peds EM in February. Looking to attend programs with more community/county hospital training emphasis.

I'm looking for input on a few things:
1) When is the latest I can re-take CK given that programs finalize rank lists Feb 15th, and that it takes 3-4 weeks to get CK scores back. I was thinking of taking it 1/20/17, so I'd have 4 weeks to study during a calmer online radiology course and fewer (3 interviews) during January to compete with for time.
2) What should I tell programs? When they ask me in person on interviews or email requesting a score update? I wanted to email my top 3 with an update and re-iterate my interest, but am not sure what to say in those emails.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

Hi everyone. Looking for some realistic input here. US MD applicant at a "top 20" medical school, with USMLE Step 1 231, honors in my EM month, 10 interviews scheduled, passed Step 2 CS, but I failed CK with a 204. There were a lot of personal struggles/problems occurring around the exam that I believe led to the failure, including errant input from older classmates telling me you only needed to study 2 weeks for CK, and that CCM would totally prepare me. I am a non-trad med student with a very strong research background, and 3 SLOEs (good from what I was told) from my 1 EM month. I am taking Peds EM in February. Looking to attend programs with more community/county hospital training emphasis.

1) When is the latest I can re-take CK given that programs finalize rank lists Feb 15th, and that it takes 3-4 weeks to get CK scores back. I was thinking of taking it 1/20/17, so I'd have 4 weeks to study during a calmer online radiology course and fewer (3 interviews) during January to compete with for time.
2) What should I tell programs? When they ask me in person on interviews or email requesting a score update? I wanted to email my top 3 with an update and re-iterate my interest, but am not sure what to say in those emails.

Sorry you are going through this, it must be pretty stressful. I would say take 3 weeks to study starting now and take that exam asap, but make sure you have passing scores on your practice tests. Cancel whatever trips or interviews you have left a d take that test asap. Nothing else will matter if you don't have a passing score in 8 weeks from today, so delay your rotations, move your interviews to end of january or whatever, but take it soon. It takes several weeks to get the score back so get right on it. If you are not getting passing scores before test day, talk to your school and delay graduation or whatever. You can't afford to fail this test again. I'm sure you will do better. Good luck.

Sorry you are going through this, it must be pretty stressful. I would say take 3 weeks to study starting now and take that exam asap, but make sure you have passing scores on your practice tests. Cancel whatever trips or interviews you have left a d take that test asap. Nothing else will matter if you don't have a passing score in 8 weeks from today, so delay your rotations, move your interviews to end of january or whatever, but take it soon. It takes several weeks to get the score back so get right on it. If you are not getting passing scores before test day, talk to your school and delay graduation or whatever. You can't afford to fail this test again. I'm sure you will do better. Good luck.
Problem being, I have no vacation/study months left to use, and I have only completed 7/10 scheduled interviews. I don't see having real time to study for CK until 12/23 and after. Given that the match rate is 99% at 12 interviews/ranked spots... I was planning on scheduling two MORE interviews if offered for January. I feel there has to be a balance between studying, my online radiology course in January, and not ruining my chance to match by not going on enough interviews. I do appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

Problem being, I have no vacation/study months left to use, and I have only completed 7/10 scheduled interviews. I don't see having real time to study for CK until 12/23 and after. Given that the match rate is 99% at 12 interviews/ranked spots... I was planning on scheduling two MORE interviews if offered for January. I feel there has to be a balance between studying, my online radiology course in January, and not ruining my chance to match by not going on enough interviews. I do appreciate your opinions. Thanks!
It doesn't matter what the match rate is for people with 12 interviews, all of those people passed step 2.

Reactions: 3 users
Chances of matching from 12 programs without passing CK: none

Chances of matching from 7 programs after passing CK: better

Also, why even risk there being a delay in releasing your score? Take it ASAP.

Is your failure on your initial score release?

That 1% that didn't match with 12 interviews.....? people who didn't have a passing step score by the time the rank list was due......

Is your failure on your initial score release?

The ck failure was not listed on the initial score release, as I just got the score back two weeks ago. The USMLE transcript sent out only included my 231 step 1.
If I were to take it now, I would no doubt fail it again. With a 204, I have some serious studying to do. If I were to not schedule any more interviews, I would have one interview in January before I re-take CK. I would have to balance my online radiology elective with studying.

That 1% that didn't match with 12 interviews.....? people who didn't have a passing step score by the time the rank list was due......

Can confirm that something like this happened to a buddy of mine (i.e., failed CS and did not release this result prior to the due date for rank lists).

Just an update to my previous post after asking around. Apparently Stanford only recommends step 2 CS but doesn't require it prior to ranking.

So far the only programs that require step 2 CS are as follows:

UCSF
LSU-Shreveport
George Washington

If anyone knows of any other programs, feel free to add to the list.

**Just to re-iterate, the vast majority of programs (around 95%) only require step 2 CK prior to ranking.
**As long as you take CK before January you should be golden.

How do you know that 95% of programs require CK for ranking? I can't find any of the 11 programs I'm interviewing at explicitly stating CK is needed for ranking. They only mention having usmle scores uploaded early to get an interview. Since I've already interviewed w/o CK, do I really need it before ROL cert?

How do you know that 95% of programs require CK for ranking? I can't find any of the 11 programs I'm interviewing at explicitly stating CK is needed for ranking. They only mention having usmle scores uploaded early to get an interview. Since I've already interviewed w/o CK, do I really need it before ROL cert?

Every program I've seen requires CK to be released prior to ranking. If you are truly considering not releasing your score prior to ranking, you absolutely have to contact all of the programs you interviewed with to see if they require it. My guess is that you'll discover the vast majority require it.

Every program I've seen requires CK to be released prior to ranking. If you are truly considering not releasing your score prior to ranking, you absolutely have to contact all of the programs you interviewed with to see if they require it. My guess is that you'll discover the vast majority require it.
Where are you seeing this stated?