EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
can you get an interview invite with only 1 LoR uploaded?
I have 1 LoR and waiting for my 2 SLOE to be uploaded

Members don't see this ad.

Take it with a grain of salt as the invite was a combo program but I only have one letter uploaded

thanks for the reply
i applied to a few combo programs as well, which program do you have an interview at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Couples matching, and my partner is getting overloaded with invites - already has 8 interviews. It's going to be tough coordinating programs when she will likely have 15+ scheduled before October.

What is your partner applying for? Mine is the same with 6 interviews now lol. I thought that it actually might be easier to coordinate because she will have all the dates she is interviewing and when I pick mine I can compare to hers

Is there any reason to not apply to like EM/peds at place where you applied to EM at also

thanks for the reply
i applied to a few combo programs as well, which program do you have an interview at?
Is there any reason not to apply to combo EM progrms at a place where you applied to a categorical EM position.

Other than the fact that you would need a new essay that incorporates both specialities and at least one LOR in the combined field that is associated with EM.

What is your partner applying for? Mine is the same with 6 interviews now lol. I thought that it actually might be easier to coordinate because she will have all the dates she is interviewing and when I pick mine I can compare to hers

Peds, yours?. Easier to pick for us, sure, but they just have to take then all.

Last edited:
Peds. I agree with making it easier for us to pick dates, but I think she is going to have more interviews than she can feasibly do before I have as many as I would like. Then the problem becomes her having to potentially turn down programs that I might receive an invite from.

She could also try scheduling less desirable places later on in the cycle and then if you dont get an interview there or you guys dont need that interview anymore then cancel

She could also try scheduling less desirable places later on in the cycle and then if you dont get an interview there or you guys dont need that interview anymore then cancel

That's the plan. But we think shes probably going to get interviews at all or nearly all of the places she applied - more than 30 (shes AOA and >2SDs above mean on steps).

I did speak with my home PD who said not to expect invites until after MSPEs come out.

That's the plan. But we think shes probably going to get interviews at all or nearly all of the places she applied - more than 30 (shes AOA and >2SDs above mean on steps).

I did speak with my home PD who said not to expect invites until after MSPEs come out.

Solid plan.. Seems our SO's will not be a problem so now hoping we can keep up. I'm not expecting to hear anything until Oct 1st so thats reassuring.

Solid plan.. Seems our SO's will not be a problem so now hoping we can keep up. I'm not expecting to hear anything until Oct 1st so thats reassuring.

I hope so! This couples matching thing sure adds a bit to the anxiety for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I got one from Lehigh Valley almost right after I submitted, but nothing else. Looking back at last year's thread it looked like the earliest anyone posted an interview invite was 9/18 but most came after October 1st once MSPEs were released. Which makes sense I guess.

Yeah I applied to LVH through the DO match and got the same letter about a month ago, they wait til deans letter is in.

These application receipt e-mail messages are killing me. False alarms for actual interview invitations. :D

These application receipt e-mail messages are killing me. False alarms for actual interview invitations. :D
Yeah, no kidding. Got one from UF-Jacksonville this morning. Said their first round of interview invites will go out on Friday, October 16th. At least I haven't been rejected by anyone yet. :p

Sounds like the 16th is the date...Emory said thats when they send theirs out too according to the mass email

Sounds like the 16th is the date...Emory said thats when they send theirs out too according to the mass email
Yeah I got that one too. Emory is kind of a reach for me so I'm not really expecting an invite come the sixteenth. But you miss 100% of the shots you don't take so we'll see what happens!

Yeah I got that one too. Emory is kind of a reach for me so I'm not really expecting an invite come the sixteenth. But you miss 100% of the shots you don't take so we'll see what happens!
You got dis!!

I submitted on the 15th but I haven't gotten any "application received" emails like you guys were mentioning. Is that strange? Or is it just certain programs that do that?

Only a very select few actually send those out, so if you didn't apply to those same programs than no worries needed :)

I submitted on the 15th but I haven't gotten any "application received" emails like you guys were mentioning. Is that strange? Or is it just certain programs that do that?

I applied to 63 and I think 4 of those programs have sent an application receipt e-mail.

I guess the tides have changed since last year and we'll be waiting a while.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! I applied to 44, mostly east coast, and haven't had any communication from programs at all. I only have 2 letters up, though, 1 SLOE and one advisor letter. Is it true that you need 3 letters before programs will look at your app?

Is it true that you need 3 letters before programs will look at your app?

Varies by program. It is my understanding that most want to see 2 SLOEs before sending invites, however.

Rejection just now, Allegheny. Ouch.

What, really?? Seems like way too early without the MSPE even out yet. Are you a foreign or US applicant? Wishing you all the best with the rest of the cycle!

Interviews are starting to trickle in for some folks. A little disheartening seeing interviews post for programs you applied to, but it's still early.

DO student, 257/253, 2 SLOEs in (honors/HP) and no invites so far.

Interviews are starting to trickle in for some folks. A little disheartening seeing interviews post for programs you applied to, but it's still early.

DO student, 257/253, 2 SLOEs in (honors/HP) and not a peep so far.
Same boat. DO student. 250+ on Step 1 and Step 2 CK. 3 SLOEs in (HP, H, H). I'm sure things will pick up after the MSPEs go out but I still can't help but be a little anxious.

What, really?? Seems like way too early without the MSPE even out yet. Are you a foreign or US applicant? Wishing you all the best with the rest of the cycle!

I'm a DO applicant with below average USMLE 1 and 2 , so all this definitely played a part. For other reference, 2 SLOE's (HP/HP). One from a smaller community program and one from a well known program. Will have one more away coming up. It'll be interesting where this goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So I have two sloes from the same program that I have sent. I have to two non EM LOR but I haven't used any of
Those bc I know I can get 2 letters from next rotation in October. Should I wait until October or use one of non EM LOR now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Damn man...what did you DO's do, eat your Wheaties or something every morning while studying for the steps or what lol?!

Remember that this is SDN....

The stats here are extremely skewed to the right side of the bell curve. Most of the DOs posting on here are probably in the top 10% of all DO test takers. Higher stats = more confidence = more likely to post on SDN.

The vast majority of applying DOs (and MDs as well) are in the 210-240 range.

The silence has been broken - interview offer from NY Med College at St Joseph's

So curious about the sdn worlds take on this. Apparently after your LOR has been uploaded and even assigned to programs, your letter writer can actually go back into the system and augment said letter afterwards. This seems a little shady on eras's part in the sense that once the letter is in the system, authors should no longer have access to editing rights of the letter. What's yall take on this matter?!

Wow, I'm quite surprised by that. Thanks for letting us know. Did you hear that from [email protected]? (Who, pleasantly, are quite efficient in answering questions!) I know on the applicant's side, once you assign a letter and confirm it... there's no taking it back.

So curious about the sdn worlds take on this. Apparently after your LOR has been uploaded and even assigned to programs, your letter writer can actually go back into the system and augment said letter afterwards. This seems a little shady on eras's part in the sense that once the letter is in the system, authors should no longer have access to editing rights of the letter. What's yall take on this matter?!
Send some flowers :)

Yep this was confirmed by myeras. Aka don't pi$$ off any of your letter writers until after you match :p

Reactions: 2 users
Yep this was confirmed by myeras. Aka don't pi$$ off any of your letter writers until after you match :p
One of my letter writers just uploaded my letter and I was just thinking about what bribery I should give them. I figure ED doc, can't go wrong with coffee

One of my letter writers just uploaded my letter and I was just thinking about what bribery I should give them. I figure ED doc, can't go wrong with coffee
You always get more flies with honey than you would with vinegar lol!!

Literally just attended a medical student forum in NYC where there were about 4 EM program directors (other program directors from other specialties were there as well) and they confirmed that emergency medicine invites are notorious for being later than other specialties. They said the huge bulk won't be until mid October and for us "nervous nellies" to not get anxiety ridden, especially when you see other specialities sending theirs out already. Aka no need to apply to 80 more programs, just be patient and good karma will flow :)!!!

Ps...good luck all, it's a nervous time but when the going gets tough the tough get going (or so they say lol).

Thanks Hoosierdaddy0. That's good to know! Only one invite from my home program, no rejections, a couple of the "thanks for the application, we're reviewing the bolus" emails, and the following schools said the earliest we'd hear is 10/16:
UTSW
Alameda-Highland
Emory
University of Florida College of Medicine-Jacksonville
William Beaumont Hospital
University of New Mexico
Stanford
UCSF
UC Davis
Also on their website, Cook County.

There's a parallel thread going, which started a month later but has more posts. Any thoughts about maybe consolidating to one?
2015-2016 Official Interview Thread; Emergency Medicine

Last edited:
Why are ya'll with 240's on step applying to so many programs? I only applied to 25 and only because my advisor strong armed me into adding 5.

Just wondering. Sure its competitive, but not that competitive.

I don't take issue with people applying to 40 or so programs, what I do have a hard time understanding is the need to go on 16 plus EM interviews especially if you are not couples matching. I'll never fully understand the medical student neurotic mind frame, but that's just me lol

I don't take issue with people applying to 40 or so programs, what I do have a hard time understanding is the need to go on 16 plus EM interviews especially if you are not couples matching. I'll never fully understand the medical student neurotic mind frame, but that's just me lol
Can't comment on EM specifically, but you never know which programs are really going to WOW! you. I could have easily gone on 8-10 interviews and matched comfortably in my specialty (as could the average EM applicant last year, with 90% chance of matching with 7 EM ranks).

But in my case, if I'd only gone on 10 interviews, I never would have gone to the place I ultimately ranked #1 (and matched at). So for some people, the need to get to 12 or 15 or 20 interviews may not be just to be a gunner (although it may), but rather to find the right place. I had 4 other interviews scheduled after the one I ultimately ranked first and cancelled 2 of them once I realized it was going to be my #1.

Why are ya'll with 240's on step applying to so many programs? I only applied to 25 and only because my advisor strong armed me into adding 5.

Just wondering. Sure its competitive, but not that competitive.

Eh its not so much your step scores/grades but where you plan on applying.

-240 and focusing on smaller midwestern/southern programs, yeah you can get away with 20 apps.
-240 and applying to mostly west coast/east coast programs in popular big cities, 20 might be cutting it a little too close for most people.

Overall its better to be safe than sorry and you can always schedule less desirable interviews in January then cancel when you hit your magic number in October/November. This gives programs more than enough time to invite other people to take that interview spot. Plus, as others have mentioned, there are always a few surprises on the trail (good and bad) so its best to interview at a few extra programs just in case you end up really disliking a few of your top programs pre-interview.

Per the NRMP 2014 charting the outcomes:

number of programs ranked/percentage of applicants that matched
7 ranks = >90%
10 ranks = >95%
12 ranks = >99%

Any advice for an applicant who had a 240 on step 1 w/ 2 SLOE. Still waiting on step 2 but had a Fail in one of my classes. Applied to 90 programs because EM is what I want and I didn't want my one slip up to be the bane of my existence. I have only heard back from 2 programs for an interview while my friends with considerably lower scores have gotten 5+.

Any advice for an applicant who had a 240 on step 1 w/ 2 SLOE. Still waiting on step 2 but had a Fail in one of my classes. Applied to 90 programs because EM is what I want and I didn't want my one slip up to be the bane of my existence. I have only heard back from 2 programs for an interview while my friends with considerably lower scores have gotten 5+.

Nothing else really to do now but wait. It's still early so sending out interest emails will be premature at this time. If you're an American MD then you should be fine.

Does it matter WHEN you interview? I know some people say it doesn't, but it just seems like a program might get enough people it likes before January and then the later interviewers are just kinda there. I don't know, I'm sure a bunch of you have opinions on this.