emergency medicine leads physicians in h/o marijuana use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmle6969

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
fig18.jpg

thought this was a pretty lol chart.

Another really interesting finding is the data on burnout in medscapes 2015 report. EM is still among the top at around 52% but in a new category of "severity of burnout", EM is only right in the middle. Perhaps this means that EM burnout is more of a chronic thing among most EM docs, but you get used to it and it really is more of a 'burn out lite'? Notably, severity of burnout is higher in some more traditionally favorable lifestyle fields like dermatology + allergy.

"Medscape asked burned-out physicians to rate the severity of their burnout from 1 ("does not interfere with my life") to 7 ("so severe that I'm thinking of leaving medicine"). Of interest, specialties reporting the highest severity ratings (nephrology 4.30, cardiology 4.29, and plastic surgery 4.28) were not those with the largest percentage of burned-out physicians."

fig3.jpg

vs.

fig2.jpg

btn-plus-txt.gif

Members don't see this ad.

fig18.jpg

thought this was a pretty lol chart.

Another really interesting finding is the data on burnout in medscapes 2015 report. EM is still among the top at around 52% but in a new category of "severity of burnout", EM is only right in the middle. Perhaps this means that EM burnout is more of a chronic thing among most EM docs, but you get used to it and it really is more of a 'burn out lite'? Notably, severity of burnout is higher in some more traditionally favorable lifestyle fields like dermatology + allergy.

"Medscape asked burned-out physicians to rate the severity of their burnout from 1 ("does not interfere with my life") to 7 ("so severe that I'm thinking of leaving medicine"). Of interest, specialties reporting the highest severity ratings (nephrology 4.30, cardiology 4.29, and plastic surgery 4.28) were not those with the largest percentage of burned-out physicians."

fig3.jpg

vs.

fig2.jpg

btn-plus-txt.gif
Feels right. If you look at the burnout questions, 2 of the 3 are tailor made for describing EP mindset. But while almost all of us feel some burnout, few of us are at a breaking point. I think the knowledge that we have options keeps things simmering rather than boiling over like if our entire life is built around a practice that's going under.

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh. Maybe EPs have been misinterpreting the surveys all these years. When they say they're burned out, they actually meant Cheech and Chong style burnout, not burned out by the job...

Reactions: 9 users
Huh. Maybe EPs have been misinterpreting the surveys all these years. When they say they're burned out, they actually meant Cheech and Chong style burnout, not burned out by the job...
Lol. Great

Is weed therefore a valid treatment for EM shift work sleep disorder, also?

Let's ask Dr Oz

Reactions: 2 users
...nevermind, joke already made...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user