Emergency Medicine vs. Internal Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bluesaurus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Which is more competitive and why

Members don't see this ad.

Which is more competitive and why

Emergency Med because of the "lifestyle" and "pay". But that is very subjective to me. If working nights and random shifts is a good lifestyle for you...than its EM. If you are more into academics, a more structured schedule, and still work only 26 weeks a year...than it's IM.

Well they both have USMLE step one scores around 220 with IM having a slightly higher step 2CK score, but I know there are a ton of IM spots available in each match. Is one harder to get into than the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well they both have USMLE step one scores around 220 with IM having a slightly higher step 2CK score, but I know there are a ton of IM spots available in each match. Is one harder to get into than the other?

EM is more competitive.

EM is becoming more and more competitive. The pay is pretty decent, and no call (some places are trying to implement some sort of "on-call" system according to the last EM interest group meeting I went to, but this is being met with resistance) makes it pretty appealing to people.

There is less variability between EM programs as well. The difference between a "good" and "bad" IM program can be quite a bit larger than EM.

If you just want IM, then it is relatively easy. If you want a solid IM program that will give you the best odds of getting whatever fellowship you'd like (if any) then it steps up in competiveness.

Reactions: 1 users
Question about Hospitalist vs ER: I understand hospitalists can work 7days on/7days off or 14days on/14days off. I suppose they can work all days like 8am-8pm? At the same time it says that ER don't have the same flexibility-they can have irregular shifts and are forced to work some nights. What if you choose to work all nights? I understand full-time ER can be 12shifts/month. So if you ask for it could u do 12nights in a row and the rest of the month off? Or you are actually forced to do some days and some nights? And can you work more more shifts/month and then take the whole summer off or it will disrupt the schedule of the entire group and make it unsuitable?

Question about Hospitalist vs ER: I understand hospitalists can work 7days on/7days off or 14days on/14days off. I suppose they can work all days like 8am-8pm? At the same time it says that ER don't have the same flexibility-they can have irregular shifts and are forced to work some nights. What if you choose to work all nights? I understand full-time ER can be 12shifts/month. So if you ask for it could u do 12nights in a row and the rest of the month off? Or you are actually forced to do some days and some nights? And can you work more more shifts/month and then take the whole summer off or it will disrupt the schedule of the entire group and make it unsuitable?
I think this is going to depend a lot on the group. You may be doing more nights since the senior partners may not want to do nights much anymore and you may not have as much flexibility in a small practice. I wouldn't mind learning more about this myself...

First off no hospitalist will ever do 14 days on or will an EM doc ever do 12 nights in a row...that is suicide. The shift schedule usually works with an initial schedule for everyone at the start of the month, and from then on people will change shifts with others based on preferences (daughter graduation...etc). Theoretically can you do all night shifts?...Sure...you can work 12 am to 8 am...but why would you?...who wants to do that everyday. And doing large stretches will disrupt everyone. If you want to work 3 months in row you can, but you just have to find another person that would do that....which is very unlikely

wow that does not sound very flexible.
Viewing this post now after 4 years,working "only nights" every alternate day,one can atleast maintain a regular sleep-wake cycle..