Emergency Medicine: What's in a name

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TConn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am pre-med and am definitely interesting in pursuing EM...particularly since it involves such a great variety of procedures. I don't believe general surgery or any of the surgical sub-specialties are for me because I cannot see myself in the OR for hours at a time. Anyhow, weird question: why is EM under the auspices of the Department of Surgery at many academic medical centers? Especially since there quite a few integrated EM/IM programs that stress that a large portion of EM is IM-based. This won't change my mind either way I'm just very curious! Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

No it is not pre-med, EM is largely ''IM based'' as you call it with a few procedures sprinkled in. If you want to do it because of procedures I would rethink your interests but your also set on not changing your mind so my thoughts are, have fun with that.

No it is not pre-med, EM is largely ''IM based'' as you call it with a few procedures sprinkled in. If you want to do it because of procedures I would rethink your interests but your also set on not changing your mind so my thoughts are, have fun with that.

Speak more like Yoda than Darth Vader you do.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I am pre-med and am definitely interesting in pursuing EM...particularly since it involves such a great variety of procedures. I don't believe general surgery or any of the surgical sub-specialties are for me because I cannot see myself in the OR for hours at a time. Anyhow, weird question: why is EM under the auspices of the Department of Surgery at many academic medical centers? Especially since there quite a few integrated EM/IM programs that stress that a large portion of EM is IM-based. This won't change my mind either way I'm just very curious! Your thoughts?
It's a consequence of the relative nascency of the specialty coupled with institutional "ownership" of the ED back when EM didn't exist.

There are a few where IM is the primary department, with EM being a division of that.

Most departments have successfully broken out and gained full departmental status... however, some of those couched in traditional surgical & internal powerhouses haven't yet.

IMHO, be wary of those as it will limit your PD's ability to fight for you if a dustup occurs with the parental department.

-d

Reactions: 1 users

Perhaps I should have rephrased my original post, I have some interest in IM but also really would like to have the opportunity to work with patients with the highest acuity and perform some procedures, thus EM has always seemed to me to be the perfect fit. Anyone wanting to do EM purely for procedures would be naive and as an ER tech, I see everyday just how much of EM is "non-surgical".

Perhaps I should have rephrased my original post, I have some interest in IM but also really would like to have the opportunity to work with patients with the highest acuity and perform some procedures, thus EM has always seemed to me to be the perfect fit. Anyone wanting to do EM purely for procedures would be naive and as an ER tech, I see everyday just how much of EM is "non-surgical".

Ok cool, but you should get in medical school first before start thinking about matching into EM.

Ok cool, but you should get in medical school first before start thinking about matching into EM.

Ok cool, and perhaps you should be a little more encouraging of people interested in pursuing medicine, who are passionate about a career as a physician.

Ok cool, and perhaps you should be a little more encouraging of people interested in pursuing medicine, who are passionate about a career as a physician.
Don't take it personally. You just entered a lions' den of prematurely grumpy men/women. There's some severe burned out/jaded-ness on this forum and SDN in general. It's normal.

Btw, beware of any posts or threads started by a guy named " B i r d s t r i k e "

#wierdo

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Don't take it personally. You just entered a lions' den of prematurely grumpy men/women. There's some severe burned out/jaded-ness on this forum and SDN in general. It's normal.

Btw, beware of any posts or threads started by a guy named " B i r d s t r i k e "

#wierdo

I feel I'm appropriately grumpy. As a med student, my attendings told me I was prematurely jaded...but I think I've trained long enough to have earned that right.

#wierdo

I second the sentiment that you shouldn't take it personally. We don't think anyone should go into medicine.

Hence the adage, "If you can see yourself being happy doing anything else, do it. If not, welcome to the club."

In our house there's a big bay window facing the backyard from the dining table. Sometimes the boys forget to clear their plates and there will be some rice or veggies left on the table. There are a lot of doves in the backyard and every month or so during the pre-bedtime routine there will be a loud thump downstairs. Investigating the patio usually will show a spray of feathers from a dove trying to get to the food who just didn't notice the glass in the way.

My perspective is that you should at least be made aware of the barrier and have as much information about what's on the other side as possible so you can make the right decision about whether it's worth it for you.

He is, by ensuring that you are made aware of your errors in thinking, you and many pre-meds reading this will have a better idea of what their getting themselves into and the reasonable things one should worry about. He is doing something more important than encouraging, he is empowering.

Thanks all for your insights...I really do appreciate it and appreciate the fact that this forum encourages REALISM. I think too often young people, including and especially me, get very caught up in hopes and dreams but fail to regularly remind themselves of the many necessary steps to reach their goals.

Not only is the vast majority of what we do across medical specialties not supported by high level evidence, a large portion of the "high level" evidence supporting the minority of what we do, is flawed with crippling bias.

Reactions: 1 user